Aircraft Configurator - Relocating SimObjects

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
mikec
Airman First Class

Aircraft Configurator - Relocating SimObjects

Post by mikec »

Hi.

I had to move my SimObjects folder to a different drive to gain back some space. When I did, I ran the aircraft configurator and and recived the error message 'Can't find Aircraft Path'.

I have changed the pointers in my fsx.cfg file to point to the new location for the 180 (See below). Is there another cfg or ini file I need to change the pointer in to run the configurator? The plane was originally installed in E:\FSX\steamapps\common\FSX\SimObjects.

Also, any other advice on changing the location of SimObjects would be appreciated. Bombs when I try to run the plane.

Thanks,

F:\SimObjects\Airplanes\A2A_Piper_PA28_180_Cherokee\panel\Cherokee.dll.aiqehzezuwkiacnrcobcttunbhheokokebewzaqi=2
F:\SimObjects\Airplanes\A2A_Piper_PA28_180_Cherokee\panel Cherokee_Illumination.dll.lrtcwiahthktblauqorrheinoewawhubwlrcbtre=2
Mike

mallcott
Staff Sergeant

Re: Aircraft Configurator - Relocating SimObjects

Post by mallcott »

mikec wrote:Hi.

I had to move my SimObjects folder to a different drive to gain back some space. When I did, I ran the aircraft configurator and and recived the error message 'Can't find Aircraft Path'.

I have changed the pointers in my fsx.cfg file to point to the new location for the 180 (See below). Is there another cfg or ini file I need to change the pointer in to run the configurator? The plane was originally installed in E:\FSX\steamapps\common\FSX\SimObjects.

Also, any other advice on changing the location of SimObjects would be appreciated. Bombs when I try to run the plane.

Thanks,

F:\SimObjects\Airplanes\A2A_Piper_PA28_180_Cherokee\panel\Cherokee.dll.aiqehzezuwkiacnrcobcttunbhheokokebewzaqi=2
F:\SimObjects\Airplanes\A2A_Piper_PA28_180_Cherokee\panel Cherokee_Illumination.dll.lrtcwiahthktblauqorrheinoewawhubwlrcbtre=2
Shouldn't relocate any of the active aircraft folders. Ever.

Instead just create a folder called `Hangar` `Addon Aircraft` or some other catchy title on the spare drive with space and simply move all non-default aircraft you are not currently flying out of the simobjects folder and into that. Want to fly them again? Move them back. Sorted.

The ONLY active folder that is sage and safe to relocate is a scenery one. FSX is already setup to read from any co- or remote-location.

mikec
Airman First Class

Post by mikec »

Hi Mallcott.

Thanks for your reply.

The A2A planes were the only ones giving me a problem. Your suggestion reminded me of a fix. I implmented it and everything is working fine. In FSX.CFG you can define multiple paths for SimObjects so I recreated the SimObjects\Airplanes folder under the original directory structure; the only two planes in it are the A2A 180 and 250 and added the path to the FSX.CFG file as shown below. Not sure how elegant this is but it does work. The benefit is I don't have to copy files back and forth.

Quite a few simmers will move the SimObjects folder as it can become quite large depending on how many aircraft and other add-ons a user has. (mine has over 16GB).

Again thanks for the prod. Much appreciated.

SimObjectPaths.0=F:\SimObjects\Airplanes
SimObjectPaths.1=F:\SimObjects\Rotorcraft
SimObjectPaths.2=F:\SimObjects\GroundVehicles
SimObjectPaths.3=F:\SimObjects\Boats
SimObjectPaths.4=F:\SimObjects\Animals
SimObjectPaths.5=F:\SimObjects\Misc
SimObjectPaths.6=MyTraffic\Aircraft
SimObjectPaths.7=E:\FSX\steamapps\common\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes
Mike

mallcott
Staff Sergeant

Post by mallcott »

Generally, you should look to reduce the size of that folder, not merely relocate or bifurcate it's location - sim startup times ARE affected by the size of the simobjects folder as every aircraft and every paint has to be read by the sim. And that won't change even with offsite location as long as it is hooked through the .cfg.

Logically, you couldn't fly 16 gigs worth of aircraft at once, so it makes much more sense to `hangar` the ones you aren't flying. By just moving the plain, er, plane folders out you speed up loading times without losing their functionality - you don't need to move anything else from the sounds, gauges or effects folders. Port them back over and they're available again.
For many years I've used the `one in, one out` rule to manage the active size of the simobjects folders. It also has a coincidental benefit - it teaches one which aircraft are valued!

And if you want file sizes reduced to save space on the HD, the aircraft folders pale into insignificance alongside the scenery - my addon scenery extends to 120 gig and that's NOT counting the ORBX folder which was 424 gig last time I looked - I've run that from a Hard Drive using a mklink command for years! Scenery tends to be self-contained so is much easier to relocate without running into issues like the one you had.

mikec
Airman First Class

Post by mikec »

Thx. Will give it a try.
Mike

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180 Tech Support”