Mindstar GPS 430 Issue

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
petdocvmd
Airman Basic

Mindstar GPS 430 Issue

Post by petdocvmd »

Good Day,

I am using the A2A Cherokee 180 (and Commanche) w/ Prepar3D v 3.2.3 on a PC running Windows 10. Several months ago I purchased and installed the Mindstar GNS430/530 module. I followed the instructions on their site for install, and the ones here regarding the aircraft config tool, and was successfully using the unit in both aircraft.

Unfortunately, the Mindstar unit had problems with missing waypoints, which I pursued via their support forum. After a few months away from simming, I recently started in again, and following up on the Mindstar issue I downloaded and installed their latest update. It registered fine, but when I ran Prepar3d, the Mindstar unit had been replaced in the Chrerokee 180 by the default GPS. I re-ran the A2A Cherokee configuration tool and was able to select the Mindstar 430, but still no joy. I tried the 430 and 530 in both aircraft, with no luck.

Can you help me troubleshoot this issue?

Thanks!

Scott

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Mindstar GPS 430 Issue

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello Scott - welcome to the forums. :)

I don't use any of the add-on GPS units, but I'm wondering if you've reinstalled the Cherokee at any stage and overwritten some of the updated files. Whether-or-not this is the case, you could always try to 'force' the A2A update to run again by deleting this file...

C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\A2A\Cherokee180\Update_fsx\client.wyc

...And then running the most recent Accu-Sim update.

After doing so, restart your PC, try selecting the Mindstar GPS via the 'Aircraft Configurator' again and see if it's available in the sim.

Thanks,
Nick
Last edited by Nick - A2A on 16 Sep 2016, 10:23, edited 1 time in total.

petdocvmd
Airman Basic

Post by petdocvmd »

I had only done the current update, but the GPS was still working after this. I tried rerunning the updater, then the configuration app, but did not delete that file in the interim (I don't have the Steam version, but presume there's an equivalent file).

As an aside, any time I refer to "run" I mean " run as an administrator."

Will try your suggestion.

Thanks,

Scott

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

petdocvmd wrote: (I don't have the Steam version, but presume there's an equivalent file)
Yeah, apologies Scott - I messed-up the copying and pasting with the path above. I've now edited the original post to correct it.

Nick

petdocvmd
Airman Basic

Post by petdocvmd »

Solved!

I was mistaking the Mindstar for the Prepar3d because somehow my Navdata disappeared, and the GPS was using the Prepar3d Nav DB from 2006. I re-ran the Navdata updater, and voila - 2016 Navdata DB installed and all working :-)

Thanks,

Scott

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Glad you managed to track down the issue Scott - thanks for posting back with the cause.

Nick

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180 Tech Support”