Piper 180 Problems

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
NPC
Airman

Piper 180 Problems

Post by NPC »

I tried to install the Piper 180. The last phase of the installation was to have been the installation of the DirectX at the end of which I got a message saying that the DirectX installation failed. After that I got a message saying that the Piper installation was complete. I ran FSX, clicked on the Piper 180, then clicked on "Fly Now". The usual loading took place and after the installation slider bar got to the end, FSX froze. It froze so badly that I was not able to run the Task Manager to force quit. I ultimately had to resort to a computer restart. I got advice to download DirectX using the link:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/downloa ... x?id=34429 but running this link ultimately gave me a message that since I was not running Windows XP or any other old OS, I was not allowed to download the DirectX. I am pretty sure I have installed the two upgrades to FSX. What do I do?

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Piper 180 Problems

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

can you let us know your hardware spec, what version of windows you are running and the exact error you recieve upon trying to install the Direct X component,. This aspect is the Microsoft Direct X installation and should work on all versions of windows unless its already installed.

Thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

NPC
Airman

Post by NPC »

I am running Windows 8. I checked and I have FSX Acceleration installed. Shouldn't that contain the correct DirectX?

I ran FSX today with the default Cessna 182 and everything worked fine. Then I exited FSX and restarted it. When I tried to change the aircraft to the Piper, the program hesitated again then froze. It then gave me a message that the program had to close down and it did.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

No Acceleration will install an older version of direct X9. Direct x9 required by our software is the latest released. What is the exact error you are recieveing when trying to install it from the installer?

On a different note is there any reason you didn't update to the free windows 10 upgrade by the way??

thanks,
Lewis

NPC
Airman

Post by NPC »

Before I try again to download/update my DirectX, I think it would be important to determine why the DirectX in your install program failed. For that to happen, there must be an underlying issue that must first be resolved. I don't think that downloading it from the internet before this issue is resolved will be a proper solution. Insofar as why I am still in Windows 8, that is a long story. To summarize, several years ago I upgraded to 8.1 and instantly had problems with FSX. I was still able to use the program, but the program would crash at the slightest provocation. I went onthe internet to find a solution and found that quite a few other people were having the same issue. A few months ago I upgraded to 10 thinking maybe MS had resolved the issues I was having with FSX, but the problems continued. Then about a month or so ago, I got a ransom virus on my computer that required me to reformat. I chose to reformat into my original Windows 8.0 and the problems with FSX vanished. My primary computer is a Mac and I mostly use my PC for flight sims.

Do you think it will help any to uninstall the 180 and reinstall it?

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

no a reinstall wouldn't help as the issue is that your OS is at fault and at this stage it could be because its simple outdated, you mention for example running an out of date win8 that isn't updated which automatically rings alarm bells.

As I've said in the past two posts, What is the exact error you are receiving when trying to install it from the installer? Until I know that I cant really offer any help or do any searching for you as I don't know the error you are receiving.

thanks,
Lewis

NPC
Airman

Post by NPC »

I took a screen capture of the window that contains the message I get when I try to download DirectX9, but I don't see a way to attach it to this post, so I will just type it below:

"You must be running Windows 98, Windows Millinium Edition, Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows Server 2003 family to install the DirectX9"

As a sidenote, last year I purchased your B17 program and it runs perfectly.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

can you let me know the error message when you run the product installer with the direct X9 installer attached that is failing for you.

The B-17 without Accu-sim will run fine as direct X9 is not needed but is for the Accu-sim products including the Accu-sim B-17.

thanks,
Lewis

NPC
Airman

Post by NPC »

I typed the error message in my last post. Which "product installer" do you mean?

NPC
Airman

Post by NPC »

This is a follow up to the post I sent a couple of hours ago. I did a little bit of searching and found the following link in my PC:

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Directx\Websetup\dxupdate.cab

Does the "cab" extension mean that this is the DirectX file waiting to be opened?

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

if you can run the Cherokee installer again and then let us know the error you recieve upon trying to install direct X from the aircraft installer that'd be great and should hopefully set us on a path to a solution to fixing your system issue.

thanks,
Lewis

NPC
Airman

Post by NPC »

See the email I sent you which should have the two "log" files generated by the program's attempt to install DirectX

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

the log files are the microsoft files, the entire dx installer is all MS, we just include it. Can you let me know the actual message you receive on your screen.

thanks,
Lewis

NPC
Airman

Post by NPC »

I got two message windows. The first said, "An internal system error occurred. Please refer to DXError.log and DirectX.log in your windows folder to determine the problem." Then I got a window saying that the DirectX installation had failed. Was the information in those two log folders not useful?

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

No the logs are Microsoft logs as its a Microsoft product so no use to me. I'm wondering if theres an issue in the system because your running an old version of your OS. I do recall some direct X issues with the original windows 8, and if you haven't updated at all it could just be that you need to update.

thanks,
Lewis

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180 Tech Support”