No DME?

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
B-17 Flier
Technical Sergeant

No DME?

Post by B-17 Flier »

Why am I not getting any DME in the Cherokee? I just bought it and installed it today.

P3D 3.2
GTN750.
Tuning in lots of VOR freq's into the DME unit but nothing, I think it wored in my version in FSX.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: No DME?

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Paul,

The FREQ mode of the DME (is that the mode you're using?) has been shown to have some issues depending on how the aircraft is loaded, as discussed here.

It probably won't help with this particular issue, but did you also remember to run the updater after installing?

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

B-17 Flier
Technical Sergeant

Post by B-17 Flier »

Nick M wrote:Hi Paul,

The FREQ mode of the DME (is that the mode you're using?) has been shown to have some issues depending on how the aircraft is loaded, as discussed here.

It probably won't help with this particular issue, but did you also remember to run the updater after installing?

Thanks,
Nick
Hi Nick,
Yes, I made sure to run the latest updater. I didn't know it might have issues. I'll have a look at that link.
Thanks.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Yeah, DME should work absolutely fine in RMT mode but the FREQ mode required some custom programming from A2A and hence is a bit more 'sensitive' as mentioned in the linked article. :wink:

Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

B-17 Flier
Technical Sergeant

Post by B-17 Flier »

Nick M wrote:Yeah, DME should work absolutely fine in RMT mode but the FREQ mode required some custom programming from A2A and hence is a bit more 'sensitive' as mentioned in the linked article. :wink:

Nick
It is behaving as described in that other thread. No problem, I can live with it.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Yeah, the only way I can seem to reproduce the issue (other than by loading via the FSX flight planner) is to load the aircraft at one location and then use the FSX map to drag it to another distant location, such as on the other side of the Atlantic.

In other words, FREQ mode usually works properly for me. However, there are sometimes differences in detection range compared to when used in RMT mode, which would also classify as a small bug rather than a feature. :wink:

Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

B-17 Flier
Technical Sergeant

Post by B-17 Flier »

Nick M wrote:Yeah, the only way I can seem to reproduce the issue (other than by loading via the FSX flight planner) is to load the aircraft at one location and then use the FSX map to drag it to another distant location, such as on the other side of the Atlantic.

In other words, FREQ mode usually works properly for me. However, there are sometimes differences in detection range compared to when used in RMT mode, which would also classify as a small bug rather than a feature. :wink:

Nick
Well, I'm trying it now. Took off from East Mids, tuned to 116.40 and the OBI comes alive but even in RMT I get nothing.

I worked yesterday tuned to an ILS freq.

Bugs me. Wish they would fix this. Between FSX and P3D I now have $100 worth of Cherokee. Sigh.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

It's an odd one Paul, because I just tried exactly the same and could pick up the DME for the Daventry VOR in FREQ mode before I was able to tune it in FREQ mode... :?

"Go figure!" is the expression I believe! :)

Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

B-17 Flier
Technical Sergeant

Post by B-17 Flier »

I reloaded the sim and started again and now it works. Who knows?
A sim'ism?

B-17 Flier
Technical Sergeant

Post by B-17 Flier »

Nick M wrote:It's an odd one Paul, because I just tried exactly the same and could pick up the DME for the Daventry VOR in FREQ mode before I was able to tune it in FREQ mode... :?

"Go figure!" is the expression I believe! :)

Nick
I notice you have your's in FREQ, mine only works in RMT.
Plus I have the GTN750 installed

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

B-17 Flier wrote:Who knows?
A sim'ism?
Yeah, presumably - it's never bothered me too much to be honest. FREQ mode usually works pretty well, but to be truthful I never really find much need to use it anyway: most of the ILSes I use seem to be DME equipped, so there's no need to tune a separate DME frequency. I presume there are still some like this in existence though...

Cheers,
Nick

Edit: missed your second post!
B-17 Flier wrote:I notice you have your's in FREQ, mine only works in RMT.
Plus I have the GTN750 installed
Yeah - I though we were talking specifically about FREQ mode here as per my first post? Maybe your issue does have something to do with the GTN 750. What happens if you load the aircraft on the runway at EGNX then tune the FREQ mode of the DME to the ILS/DME? (109.35 MHz)
A2A Simulations Inc.

B-17 Flier
Technical Sergeant

Post by B-17 Flier »

Nope, sitting on the runway now, tuned it to 109.35 and in FREQ or RMT I get nothing.

It works intermittently when I fly.

Scratching my head....

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

How do you load the flights Paul? Just through the normal 'Free Flight' screen or whatever the equivalent is in P3D?
A2A Simulations Inc.

B-17 Flier
Technical Sergeant

Post by B-17 Flier »

Nick M wrote:How do you load the flights Paul? Just through the normal 'Free Flight' screen or whatever the equivalent is in P3D?
Yup, P3D comes up to the aircraft selection screen, I choose a fave, the Cherokee, then set the plane on EGNX for testing. Done that four times today for testing and sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Now at this very momemt it's tuned to DTY and working in RMT but not FREQ. But I'm getting DME.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

So does it ever work in FREQ mode for you? If not, maybe you could try it with the 'no GPS' option to see if that makes any difference...
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180 Tech Support”