DME not reliable?

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Emi
Airman

DME not reliable?

Post by Emi »

I got a small problem flying my Cherokee: The DME most of the time does not work.

I am 100% certain the stations I tune actually include DMEs (not just VORs, etc.), but still I do not get an indication, while the VOR part of the station is recieved normally.

One example where this happened is the LWB VOR/DME (Löwenberg, near Berlin). I do recieve the VOR part of the station, but as said, the DME is just not shown.
I know for sure the DME should work and in fact it does in your C172 or any other aircraft.

Any ideas and does anyone else experience the same thing?
Best regards
Emanuel

lonewulf47
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: DME not reliable?

Post by lonewulf47 »

Emi,

Did you try both using remotely tuning and manual tuning with the same result? As we have extensively checked the DME outputs during betatest the reported phenomenon is a bit uncelar. Did it happen inflight or on ground? What was the approximate DME distance when you noticed this? Sorry, many questions :lol: however we need to get a clearer picture of that. Unfortunately I'm presently not at my home desk, but will be again beginning next week. So I can then start with extensive trials.
Oskar

ASUS MAXIMUS XI Hero, i9-9900K 8 Core OC 5.2 GHz, WIN10-64Bit, 32GB DDR5, Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti Strix, 2x 2 TB SSD M.2, 1x 2 TB SSD, 1 monitor 4k, AS4, EFB on remote PC

sgreen91
Airman

Post by sgreen91 »

I have a similar issue but only with FREQ tuning. The REMOTE tuning will correctly identify and show distance to NAV 1 but FREQ tuning tuned to the exact same frequency as remote shows no information.

At one point I was 3 nm from said VOR and slowly increasing in distance. The FREQ tuning never shows DME distance while REMOTE works perfectly.

This is in P3D. Have not tried in FSX yet.

Sean

simonflight
Airman First Class

Post by simonflight »

Hi Guys,

Yeah, I have the same problem with FSX. When in freq mode no dme but when coupled with nav1 and in rmt mode everything is fine.

Mine is a bit hit and miss though. Some flights it works ok others it doesn't. It usually takes a combination of deleting the dat files and re installing the latest core update to kick it back into action

Coincidently I have the same problem with the C172 which I never noticed before because I always used the GPS.

It wont stop me flying this great plane though, it would just be nice to have it working.

Regards
Simon

simonflight
Airman First Class

Post by simonflight »

Hi guys,

Any news on this ?

Regards
Simon

simonflight
Airman First Class

Post by simonflight »

Hi Guys

Not sure if you have fixed your problems but i'm pretty sure i have fixed mine.

The issue was that sometimes the dme would stop working when the dme unit was set in freq mode but work ok when slaved to nav1 in rmt mode.

I narrowed this down to a corrupt loading of the aircraft. I'm not sure exactly what would have corrupted it, maybe a hasty exit from fsx while still flying without exiting the flight first.

The cure for me was to reload the default fsx flight and then change location and aircraft to the cherokee. This only needs to be done once to reset things and then from then on flights should be ok. I did delete the dat/log files aswell for good measure but this may not be necessary. This also worked for the c172.

Since doing this and being less hasty to exit fsx i have had many enjoyable flights with dme working flawlessly.

Hope this helps

Simon

rcoultas
Airman First Class

Post by rcoultas »

I had this same issue. Simon's suggestion worked for me as well. Thanks!
Cheers,
Randall

Amundsen
Airman

Post by Amundsen »

DME only available in RMT-mode. After testing it during many flights in different areas (NA, GB, N, D) and reloading the standard aircraft to get a "clean" load of my Cherokee, the prob still occurs:

DME shows nothing in FREQ-mode, RMT-mode works.
Greetings from EDSL

P3D V4.5
WIN10
nVidia GTX 1070
C182

Great Ozzie
A2A Test Pilot

Post by Great Ozzie »

Hi Amundsen,

I just tried in the Indianapolis area (KIND area - about a half dozen VORs)... DME appears to be working in both modes correctly.

Fwiw, I loaded to the airport of my choice using the Trike without a flight plan, then switched to the Cherokee.

Could you give me a specific area to check?

-Rob
Rob Osborne
Flight Instructor - CFI, CFII, MEI, MEII
A & P Mechanic

FAASTeam - Safer Skies Through Education
Professionalism in aviation is the pursuit of excellence through discipline, ethical behavior and continuous improvement. NBAA

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

The custom 'FREQ' mode does appear to be quite sensitive to how the flight is started Amundsen. For instance, Rob's remark about loading "without a flight plan" is very pertinent as this topic shows. It's a (rather long) discussion we had about another customer's non-operational 'FREQ' mode, which concluded with Great Ozzie realising that loading a flight from the FSX flight planner was the culprit. :) (Just read the last page if you don't want to go through the whole thread. )

Not saying this (the flight planner) is the case here, but the exact way in which the flight is loaded should definitely be considered.

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Amundsen
Airman

Post by Amundsen »

Thanks to all for the tips!
OK, will give it a try later. At the moment I'am flying in FTX Scotland. I get the acoustic signal from the DME-speaker of the radio stack that the VOR "MAC" has been identified correctly, but without getting the distance on the KN64 (in FRQ-mode).
The same with other VOR-stations in the vicinity.
Greetings from EDSL

P3D V4.5
WIN10
nVidia GTX 1070
C182

Amundsen
Airman

Post by Amundsen »

Tried to get the DME by loading standard airport and aircraft first, then the Cherokee with flightplan.
Odd results: the KN64 gets DME in FRQ from some DVORs, but mostly not.
And it doesn't seem to be a difference between stock-navaids and Addon-navaids....
Greetings from EDSL

P3D V4.5
WIN10
nVidia GTX 1070
C182

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180 Tech Support”