Newbie with questions

The Low Wing Wonder
new reply
EdG
Airman Basic

Newbie with questions

Post by EdG »

I just found this simulator. I assume it is a program to down load on a PC. Does it require any external controls? ie. Yoke and rudder pedals? Can someone fill me in? Looking at the Piper Cherokee 180.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Newbie with questions

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi and welcome to the forums.

The Cherokee 180 is sold as an add-on for either Microsoft Flight Simulator X (currently available on Steam) and Lockheed Martin Prepar3D. The two versions of the Cherokee are sold and licensed separately, so it's worth deciding which platform you prefer. FSX-SE is cheaper and is classed as an 'entertainment' product, whereas Prepar3D is targeted at the 'training' end of the market. Prepar3D has the advantage that it's still being actively developed.

Although not strictly necessary, some hardware controls will certainly make life easier. The cheapest option is a twist handle joystick, but the combo of a yoke and rudder pedals is favoured by many as well. :)

Thanks,
Nick

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello EdG,

just to add onto Nicks response, if you are entirely new to Flight sim you might want to post to this effect in the Main Pilots lounge forum. That way you can include what you might want to use a sim for and the wider community can help point you in the right direction and help advise on there own experiences. We have plenty of pilots, instructors and hobbyist simmers here who are often very very happy to help people out.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Post by ClipperLuna »

I would also recommend a throttle quadrant. The Saitek one may not be top-of-the-line, but it works plenty good for me and won't break the bank. Setting the mix and prop just doesn't feel right if you have to use a mouse or F-keys.

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180”