Pitch trimming Help

The Low Wing Wonder
new reply
Phil_Shaw
Airman

Pitch trimming Help

Post by Phil_Shaw »

Can anyone offer any help, I am finding that trimming the Cherokee is very difficult I can get it trimmed almost level but it is taking me a long time and getting that last bit almost impossible.
I find I am always chasing it up and down, am using keyboard not joystick button. I have an old sidewinder joystick but most of the buttons no longer work.

Can anyone give me pointers as to what I might be doing wrong.

Thanks in advance

Phil.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Pitch trimming Help

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Phil,

One suggestion is to use the shortcuts for pitch trim in the A2A Cherokee Input Configurator if you're not already doing so. Unlike the native FSX/P3D functions, these shortcuts provide pitch trim at a constant rate without the 'trim acceleration' feature which always seemed unrealistic to me.

However, even with the aircraft properly trimmed, you're still going to need to make constant corrections with the yoke (i.e. joystick), even if you're flying through 'still' air. Once you start adding in wind, turbulence, thermals and so on, these control corrections will obviously become even more pronounced.

It's well recognised that trimming with PC hardware is more problematic than in the real thing because of the absence of any actual control forces to trim out. You might find that assigning elevator trim commands to a hat switch makes life easier, but this may require you to invest in a replacement stick... :wink:

Cheers,
Nick

Phil_Shaw
Airman

Post by Phil_Shaw »

Thanks Nick

I understand its never going to sit perfectly level, its just the aircraft has always got a climbing or descending trend.

Not used the input configurator I will take a look.

Thanks

Phil.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Maybe worth adding Phil, that you'll need to have run the Accu-Sim update to get the pitch trim shortcuts in the Cherokee as these were added after release. (That's unless you're using P3Dv4.)

Thanks,
Nick

Phil_Shaw
Airman

Post by Phil_Shaw »

Thanks again Nick, I am all up to date.

phil.

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

The pitch trim without using the configurator is much to slow which make it impossible to trim properly. If you use FSUIPC, and have the sim controls disabled, the configurator will not work. I use FSUIPC, so I leave the sim controls enabled, and then disable all the assignments in the sim, so they don't conflict with FSUIPC. I do not use FSUIPC for the pitch trim for the Cherokee, and C 172, just the configurator. Make sure you run the configurator as admin.
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

Gabe777
Staff Sergeant

Post by Gabe777 »

bobsk8 wrote:The pitch trim without using the configurator is much to slow which make it impossible to trim properly. If you use FSUIPC, and have the sim controls disabled, the configurator will not work. I use FSUIPC, so I leave the sim controls enabled, and then disable all the assignments in the sim, so they don't conflict with FSUIPC. I do not use FSUIPC for the pitch trim for the Cherokee, and C 172, just the configurator. Make sure you run the configurator as admin.
This is interesting. I too disable controls in fsx and use fsuipc to calibrate all my saitek stuff including the trim wheel.

But in all my aircraft it is difficult to reduce sensitivity enough to control the plane easily....instead I'm constantly chasing the nose....up and down.

So is it possible to use the a2a configurators for just some controls, and use fsuipc for others ?

Is the a2a configurator going to work bettet for my trim wheel than fsuipc ?

Thnx for any advice.
i7 7700k (4.5 GHz) / GTX 1080 8GB - Gigabyte Windforce OC 3X / 32GB DDR4 2400 Hz (CL15) / Samsung EVO 970 plus M.2 nvme (1TB) / BeQuiet 650W PSU 50amps 12v rail -- (with P3Dv4, AS + ASCA / REX Texture Direct)

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

Gabe777 wrote:
bobsk8 wrote:The pitch trim without using the configurator is much to slow which make it impossible to trim properly. If you use FSUIPC, and have the sim controls disabled, the configurator will not work. I use FSUIPC, so I leave the sim controls enabled, and then disable all the assignments in the sim, so they don't conflict with FSUIPC. I do not use FSUIPC for the pitch trim for the Cherokee, and C 172, just the configurator. Make sure you run the configurator as admin.
This is interesting. I too disable controls in fsx and use fsuipc to calibrate all my saitek stuff including the trim wheel.

But in all my aircraft it is difficult to reduce sensitivity enough to control the plane easily....instead I'm constantly chasing the nose....up and down.

So is it possible to use the a2a configurators for just some controls, and use fsuipc for others ?

Is the a2a configurator going to work bettet for my trim wheel than fsuipc ?

Thnx for any advice.
The A2A config is the only way to get decent trim movement in the Cherokee and C 172. In order to use the A2A config in P3d, you have to leave controls enabled in the sim. I would imagine it is the same in FSx. What I did is delete all control assignments in the sim, that are set in FSUIPC, like all axis , switches, buttons etc. Having a control set in both FSUIPC and the sim will cause all kinds of erratic behavior.

Now every once in awhile P3D ( and I imagine FSX) will decide to activate the default assignments that you already deleted, again. I discovered that an easy way to keep this from happening, is to find the file in your sim that stores the control settings for the sim ( you can google for this location) and make that file "read only" in windows. Then they will not switch back to default on their own. If you do this, and want to change a control assignment in the sim, you have to remember to uncheck the read only box for that file, make the change you want, and then re-enable read only. You don't have to do anything if you are changing something in FSUIPC since FSUIPC does not overwrite anything in the sim control settings file.
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

bobsk8 wrote:The A2A config is the only way to get decent trim movement in the Cherokee and C 172.
Well - that's not quite true Bob: using the x0BC0 offset in FSUIPC, it's possible to set the trim rate to be as fast or as slow as you wish (more info on that here). However, the input configurator is easier, for sure! :)

Nick

Gabe777
Staff Sergeant

Post by Gabe777 »

Nick M wrote:
bobsk8 wrote:The A2A config is the only way to get decent trim movement in the Cherokee and C 172.
Well - that's not quite true Bob: using the x0BC0 offset in FSUIPC, it's possible to set the trim rate to be as fast or as slow as you wish (more info on that here). However, the input configurator is easier, for sure! :)

Nick
Oh really. The FSUIPC manual is another manual I should actually read ! I think I only know a fraction of the functionality !

Thnx for the link and advice.
i7 7700k (4.5 GHz) / GTX 1080 8GB - Gigabyte Windforce OC 3X / 32GB DDR4 2400 Hz (CL15) / Samsung EVO 970 plus M.2 nvme (1TB) / BeQuiet 650W PSU 50amps 12v rail -- (with P3Dv4, AS + ASCA / REX Texture Direct)

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180”