N9630N

The Low Wing Wonder
new reply
Scav
Senior Airman

N9630N

Post by Scav »

And now for something completely different:

Something I've been doodling with over the past few days. What do you guys think?

PA24 :: PA28 :: C182T :: BE35
"Tell me, have you ever met a Scav up close? Of course not . . ."

Scav
Senior Airman

Re: N9630N

Post by Scav »

Here's a couple more in flight:

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Very nice. I like the paint fade effect on the wing tips. :D

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

Scav
Senior Airman

Post by Scav »

Dogsbody55 wrote:Very nice. I like the paint fade effect on the wing tips. :D

Cheers,
Mike
Mike, thanks for the kind words. :) I remember when I had GIMPed it out, I thought about giving the gradient tool a try and I wasn't disappointed with the outcome -- it's understated, but just enough to give a bit of 'oomph' to the design.

That, and with those fiberglass tips it could also be the happy ending to an unfortunate case of hangar rash. I can only imagine how much of a bear it would be to pull off with real fibreglass and real paint, but then again I know nothing about painting except how not to make a mess.

Thanks again! :)

crippy
Staff Sergeant

Post by crippy »

Man I'd LOVE to be able to do this! Just wish I knew how
Image Image Image
3D Lights Redux | Accu-Feel v2 | J-3 Cub | P-51C | T-6 Texan | B17 | L049 | Cherokee 180 | Comanche 250 | 172R Skyhawk | 182T Skylane

Scav
Senior Airman

Post by Scav »

crippy wrote:Man I'd LOVE to be able to do this! Just wish I knew how
Apologies for the nested parentheses:

My first step was selecting my colors. I used the darkest shade of green I could find for one side (while hiding every layer that WASN'T a core layer (the paintkit has wonderful representations of dirt, grime, dried fuel, dried oil, the last will and testaments of numerous former insects and ex-parrots) -- I needed a clean sample of the colors I needed), then the top of the wing for the matching shade of white for the other. I did a lasso select on the wingtips themselves within the paint kit . . . and then I used the gradient tool and dragged it from one end of the wingtip to the other (outside edge of the wingtip to the mating surface where it is riveted onto the wing). I did this at the thickest part of the wingtip (which was, I think 4-5 rivets back from the front edge of the wing).

TL;DR: It was really the gradient tool for the win here. I used GIMP as the editor but I've done the same thing in Photoshop as well.

Now if you're talking about how to do this paint effect in real life, though . . . I have no idea. :D

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Looking nice :)
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Scav
Senior Airman

Post by Scav »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Looking nice :)
Thankya, Lewis!

I've got some highlights from some virtual dual instruction on emergency procedures -- specifically engine-out operations and stalls. Really, just a bit of an excuse to futz around with the Cherokee today.

The student flying left seat has discovered:

* It is possible to stop the propeller completely at VS0 with mixture at cutoff and it does not mean immediate death.
* With the engine off and propeller either windmilling or stopped, you can actually hear the stall tab clicking on the wing (either that or the relay that governs the stall lamp switching on/off). These must be really neat ANR headsets.
* It is possible to evoke rotation in the propeller as slow as VS0+3 to +5.
* It is possible to evoke enough rotation in the propeller to restart the engine at as slow as 110 MPH indicated.
* There is enough engine mechanical fuel pump authority with the propeller/crankshaft rotating to provide gauge pressure to the engine. Even a little bit is enough to wind-prop the crankshaft and provide enough of a spark/fuel mixture to allow restarting. This is assuming there is fuel advanced to the carburetor, the propeller (and by ancillary fashion the crankshaft) is in rotation, there is no defect in the ignition system and this is being done in a more-or-less controlled environment.

Obviously one would not rely on this procedure in any less-than-controlled circumstance, but we've learned that it is possible to air-start a Cherokee if one were to allow a tank to run dry.

Also, can anyone deduce what is happening below? :)

ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Post by ClipperLuna »

Scav wrote: Also, can anyone deduce what is happening below? :)

I'll take a stab at this one. I see a (fairly steep) nose-down attitude and some significant rudder deflection. I'm going to say spin recovery?

Edit: I just saw the ailerons deflected as well, so maybe not a spin recovery. An emergency descent?
Great paint job, BTW

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Full rudder deflection would not be necessary for an emergency descent in coordinated flight, so I'm going with the aircraft spinning.

I was taught PARE (Power - Idle, Ailerons - Neutral, Rudder - Opposite Yaw, Elevator - Forward to break the stall) for light aircraft. I'm not sure whether the ailerons are being held pro/anti-spin here or if it just coincidence that they were deflected at all.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Scav
Senior Airman

Post by Scav »

Guys, you're both right, and you've both made my day here. :)

This was:

1. A fully developed spin.
2. A possible example of sloppy pilotage -- I remember having the control full back and twisted full left when I 'V'ed that shot; I didn't remember dialing in any aileron input but apparently I did!
3. Also a possible example of sloppy photography. :)

One thing I've noted that's fairly consistent with this particular model, and I wonder if it's the same for the real aircraft when it comes to this kind of upset handling: She wants to drop into a near flat spin for about the first full revolution; then the nose drops on its own as autorotation begins in earnest and we have what was pictured above -- a contest to see how long it takes for someone's lunch to threaten its way upward.

Thanks for weighing in, both of you!

ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Post by ClipperLuna »

The thanks goes to you, Scav. I like it when people post perplexing pilot problems to ponder over :mrgreen:

Scav
Senior Airman

Post by Scav »

ClipperLuna wrote:I like it when people post perplexing pilot problems to ponder over :mrgreen:
Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

:mrgreen:

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180”