Restored computer now 180 won't load right

The Low Wing Wonder
new reply
ballistx
Airman

Restored computer now 180 won't load right

Post by ballistx »

I needed to restore my computer. I reinstalled the operating system (Windows 10) and installed Steam/FSX. I then downloaded the 172 and 180. The 172 seems to operate normally. The 180 is messed up. Besides erratic flight, like the airspeed going from 80 knots to 30 instantly, being in a sharp erratic jerked turn and it will stretch out like it is bending in half at the foot pedals. Then it recovers slowly. This is with no significant control input. But that is very seldom it does that.
What is the real issue is that I save flights so I can practice specific operations, such as ILS landings. I don't want to spend time preflighting, taking off at the airport, spending 20 minutes getting into position and then finally getting to practice the ILS landing. This has not been an issue with FSX, nor the A2A planes before. Now with the 180 it is all kapoot.

I have one where I actually am sitting at the runway ready to take off in IMC conditions. The plane is runnig, flaps like I left them last, lights, controls (no yokes), nav/com set, etc. All was good before.
Now when I load that flight the plane is running but cannot be kept running and dies. The yokes are there and cannot be turned off. They just flash and stay there. They cannot be turned off by the control panel (shift/3). They just flash "no yoke" and go back to "yoke". The mixture is full lean. Even taking it off lean will not keep the engine running. The GPS is turned off even though it was left on before and came up on before restoring the computer.
I have uninstalled it all and reinstalled. Uninstalled the 172 and 180 and reinstalled using the same downloads that worked before. Did the update with both the download from before and a fresh download. Nothing changes anything.
The last time I downloaded and started all fresh the first time I used the flaps they were jammed. This is on a fresh download and install, first flight.

Once the engine stops I can push in the mixture, start it and am able to turn off the yokes, set the lights, turn on the GPS, turn off the fuel pump (it was on also). etc.
What do I have to do to get my old 180 back?
Thanks

mallcott
Staff Sergeant

Re: Restored computer now 180 won't load right

Post by mallcott »

install SimConnect?
Put the aircraft through the maintenance hangar/ reset the aircraft to as new condition?
Do a walkround?

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

Just to be clear was it an OS reinstall or a restore, as you mention both?

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

ballistx
Airman

Post by ballistx »

kinda both.
I have a quite extensive set of programs that I have installed as this is my main operating computer. Dell XPS8500 with 16gb ram and dual video cards. Because of the issue with programs it becomes necessary to re-establish the computer from time to time. Typically this is because I am on it about 10 hours a day, 7 days a week. Mostly work related. As such, I am accessing a wide variety of well established commercial sites such as Square D, Westinghouse, Aquity, etc. I have AVG for anti-virus and have had excellent results with virtually no virus activity.

When I get a new CAD/main computer I set it up with about 90% of the significant programs, such as AutoCAD, Revit, Office, PDF, etc. Set up the variety of printers, scanners, etc. I then check that out to make sure it is all secure. I then make a clone disk to start from. Then, when I need to re-establish the computer, I clone my current disk for backup of downloads, etc. (I have all of my data on my personal servers (90"/18" rack in the garage with 9 servers installed). So, it is just that machine related info on that computer.

Then I clone my disk to start from to another SSD drive and get it set up. That is where I ran into problems with FSX and the 180. I noted one other problem (or potential problem) in that it took about 2 minutes for the computer to recognize the wireless keyboard and mouse so I could sign on. That and the FSX problem were the only ones noted. However, because of the 2 minute delay I did not feel comfortable with the re-establlsh of the computer. So, after 4 days of messing with it, I went back to square 1 and started with a fresh clone of my setup drive.

I went through the same process, but a little more regimented. Got everything up to date, like Windows 10, etc. and THEN installed Steam. Then installed FSX and made sure all were up to date before installing the A2A planes. Then updated the airplanes.

Now the 180 operates as I would expect it to. No issues after a couple of flights. So, I believe there was something in the basic install that was affecting the 180 only. I have absolutely no idea what it could be. I have been on computers and working with them since Ohio Scientific days. Yes that was before Microsoft and Bill Gates left Albuquerque.

I went through this detailed account so that you could get a better idea of just what was done so if someone else comes up with something similar you have some background of this instance.

I would like some way to keep the records on my aircraft when doing a fresh install of FSX. I did manage to export my logbook and recapture it. So, I didn't lose that. With about 1100 landings (about 300 IFR) and a couple hundred hours of flying I would prefer to keep it in tact.

I do wish to thank A2A for 2 wonderful airplanes in the 172 and 180. They are virtually the only thing I fly until I get back into practice to start my IFR training. I feel the realism will be a huge help in shortening my time to get back in the left seat after being out for the past 25 years.

Thanks again.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Okie dokie maybe a flight initialisation error then if it corrected itself its almost 99% probable to be flight save/load related. For the saving of bits you can save your .dat files also to keep your wear and tear etc on your personal aircraft.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180”