N88608: 00C to Silverton, CO

The Low Wing Wonder
new reply
Scav
Senior Airman

N88608: 00C to Silverton, CO

Post by Scav »

This is the first repaint I've done for an A2A product -- I did kitbash another skin by changing hue and N-number -- I hope nobody minds!

Anyway, I've honestly been staring at this thing for the last two days out of both admiration and not wanting to break this thing. It may be a lowrider but it has enough power to get out of its own way and it's been VERY eager to be a vehicle of exploration in some pretty gnarly terrain.

Therefore, after reminding myself plenty of times it deserves to be up in the air, I give you a short series starting in Durango and snaking along the Animas River to Silverton, CO:

Animas Airpark, Durango, CO. Preflight done. Weather looks good both on the field and up in the mountains. We're good to go.

Climbing out. City of Durango just coming into view.

Interstate 550, the Durango and Silverton Narrow-gauge railroad, and the Animas River below.

The narrow-gauge railroad is steam-powered with a diesel back-engine. The trip one-way takes about three hours to travel about 50 miles, and it is an open-air experience for many of the passengers.

It also VERY TIGHTLY follows the river.

Silverton coming into view while we rejoin Interstate 550 as it takes a vicious switchback down the side of the mountain and continues through the town to Telluride. Silverton used to be a mining town, responsible for a good chunk of north american silver yield -- now pretty much the only economy left is a service and trinket economy which exists during the spring, summer and fall months.

Ta-da.

PA24 :: PA28 :: C182T :: BE35
"Tell me, have you ever met a Scav up close? Of course not . . ."

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: N88608: 00C to Silverton, CO

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Very nice screenshots and striking livery.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Scav
Senior Airman

Post by Scav »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Very nice screenshots and striking livery.

thanks,
Lewis
Thanks, Lewis -- and happy almost-obscenely-but-not-quite-belated b-day to you! :)

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Nice Flight. Will have to take my Comanche out to Colorado. Looks good.

Seeya
ATB

Scav
Senior Airman

Post by Scav »

Paughco wrote:Nice Flight. Will have to take my Comanche out to Colorado. Looks good.

Seeya
ATB
Thankya! :)

I must admit Colorado isn't in the top 5 of states I normally fly to, and I dare not take the Cherokee over the central slice of the state due to all of the 14's out there -- it's just too darn high and while I haven't really encountered anything resembling appreciable density altitude I have to think even with all of the drag-reducing implements I've installed on this bird she still has her limits.

Still . . . if you can approach the Mesa Verde / Durango chunk of the state from the south or west there are some adventures to be had. After Silverton I ended up skirting to the northwest and actually overflew Telluride on my way out of the mountains.

Fun times.

awash2002
A2A ACE

Post by awash2002 »

Awesome repaint I would love to add it to the Cherokee

Scav
Senior Airman

Post by Scav »

awash2002 wrote:Awesome repaint I would love to add it to the Cherokee
I can do that. :)

Some questions though before I put it together:

1. As I stated above, this is a kitbash of an existing skin created by maubrenta. I may have missed this but nobody's going to get chuffed if I upload it and give credit for the original inspiration, right?

2. I'm happiest with the out-of-box grey VC found in \texture.vcgray, but for some reason the .bmp "exterior looking in" had yellowish armrest cups in both the pilot's side interior fuselage and the door. While I was monkeying around I desaturated both sides to match the interior and that made me happy again.

3. Given the above, I could package all three pa28_180_*.dds and all eight vc*.dds files together OR I could package just the _c.dds and _t.dds files with instructions in the readme to incorporate them into something FSX can see. I don't want to step on toes but I'm inclined to bundle it alltogether for convenience's sake even though I've only actually touched three files out of the entire package.

What say you?

cflord
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by cflord »

I really like the screen shots and the new paint scheme is simply outstanding!

Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down!

Ret SMSgt Cliff Lord - C-130 Flight Engineer & Mechanic 8) 8)

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180”