Emergency procedure speeds

The Low Wing Wonder
new reply
cristi.neagu
Staff Sergeant

Emergency procedure speeds

Post by cristi.neagu »

Hello,

Was just going through the manual and i noticed that the speeds given on page are all in KIAS. Elsewhere in the manual, the speeds are in mph, as is the airspeed indicator inside the plane? Is this an error?

Thanks.

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Re: Emergency procedure speeds

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi,

It may be is, or not. The Piper Cherokee 180 speed indicator mainly reads in mph, but it also show speed in knots in it's inner dial.

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

cristi.neagu
Staff Sergeant

Post by cristi.neagu »

True, but it doesn't seem consistent, especially since it's an emergency procedure so it would make sense to give the speed in the expected unit of measurement. Also, the speeds seem a bit implausible when converted to mph.

mallcott
Staff Sergeant

Post by mallcott »

cristi.neagu wrote:True, but it doesn't seem consistent, especially since it's an emergency procedure so it would make sense to give the speed in the expected unit of measurement. Also, the speeds seem a bit implausible when converted to mph.
Then don't convert them. Just use the numbers.

As someone who switches from kts to mph in real life flying, I can tell you it's far easier to ignore the bezel and simply fly `by the numbers`. Trying to convert things in your head can be dangerous, especially when the times you really need to follow the indicator is usually when it's important to be flying the plane and looking out the window.

cristi.neagu
Staff Sergeant

Post by cristi.neagu »

The conversion effort was not my point. My point was that when all the other speeds in the manual are in mph, when given a number in an emergency situation, one might not pay attention to the unit of measure, and assume it's mph like everywhere else. So instead of going 75kts you end up going 75mph instead, 10kts slower. That's really dangerous in an emergency situation. That's why I'm saying that the units look off.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

That's how it is very often in the real world esp when dealing with the older aircraft such as our Cherokee 180 C. In the world of older aviation esp you will come across a lot of conversion work that is best to do before you get off the ground :wink:

Many modern procedures you see in modern civil aviation are relatively new things with checklists only really being a recent addition. Proper standardised manuals only started to appear and where kinda invented during WW2, with the US being known to be great produces and pioneers of the idea. It took years and years post WW2 for this stuff to filter down to civilian flying, its an interesting period to look at with a lot of equipment changes and existing equipment kinda being grandfathered in and changed as rules changed dependant on the country the aircraft operated in.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

cristi.neagu
Staff Sergeant

Post by cristi.neagu »

Thank you for the reply.

So those speeds in the emergency procedures are correct and in knots indicated?

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Bit cheeky and replying whilst in a meeting lol But from memory the manual part you are looking at is pretty much very close to an exact match for the actual aircraft manual you will have gotten as a 180C owner.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

cristi.neagu
Staff Sergeant

Post by cristi.neagu »

Well, I'm at work, my boss is sitting on the other side of my desk, but it's a really slow day so nothing to do anyways :D Thanks for confirming this!

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

What if your bosses are browsing these forums?
:shock:
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

cristi.neagu
Staff Sergeant

Post by cristi.neagu »

I'd have something in common with my boss, which would be really cool!

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180”