Garmin GNS400 PROBLEMS

The Low Wing Wonder
ballistx
Airman

Garmin GNS400 PROBLEMS

Post by ballistx »

Is there some kind of manual that goes through the specific operation of the GNS400 and calibrating it with the magnetic and the Heading Indicator? The headings do not agree between the GNS400 and the Heading Indicator.

Also I cannot program anything into the GNS400. According to what I understand I can click on the "Direct TO" then click on the inner ring, right side of the GPS PUSH CRSR (inner ring) to key in the code for the airport. NOPE. NOTHING happens unless I click on the CRSR, then it goes back to the map. There is NO WAY that I can see to input anything into it.
Once I got it to list some waypoints but I could not access any of them.

I downloaded the 180 manual and it had 104 pages of something but I did not see anything about how to actually operate any of the functions. Like something that would tell me that I can roll the mouse to set the frequencies and directions? I went through the website and only saw the aforementioned manual.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Garmin GNS400 PROBLEMS

Post by Oracle427 »

The HSI must be manually rotated using the knob to the correct magnetic heading and then periodically adjusted throughout the flight to maintain alignment. Generally every 15-30 minutes is a good idea. I like to do it manually using the mouse, but I believe the D key will set the heading for you.

The GNS400 is an simplified version FSX GPS. It is generally operated like most Garmin GPS units. To input data you use the FMS knob outer ring to move the cursor and the inner ring to "dial-in" the characters.

So, direct-to, twist outer knob, twist inner knob, enter first character, twist outer knob, twist inner knob, enter second character, repeat until destination is entered and then press enter twice. Just like the real unit.

A read of the Gamin 400 series manual from the Garmin website will get you up to speed. However, FSX only implements a subset of functions, so don't expect everything to work.

http://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-00356-00_K.pdf
http://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-00356-01_K.pdf

Generally speaking everything in this aircraft is operated just like the standard FSX aircraft. Hover the mouse over a knob that rotates and spin the mouse wheel up/down to rotate the knob.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

ballistx
Airman

Post by ballistx »

While I was submitting the forum post I updated the 180 from the website. Now the GNS400 will input the data the way it should. I can click on the Direct and get it to let me key in the airport code. I don't know if it was a corruption of my file or a fix in the update but that part works now.

My issue with the heading indicator is I can adjust it going south, turn the bug north and it is off 10 degrees. A matter of 2 minutes. The issue is that the heading indicator does not line up with the GPS400 course, no wind. They will typically be off by 10 degrees.

Just checked the bug/HI/GNS400 and they are tracking with each other after the update.

Go figure. Either I had something messed up (not really possible) or something. I will need to check further but for now it seems to be working.

Thanks

ballistx
Airman

Post by ballistx »

Well, it did work once. Now I cannot get it to allow me to type in the ident for the airport. If it does anything it just goes back to the map.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

The GNS400 isa stock FSX unit. The A2A aircraft and patches don't affect its functionality. I would consult the manuals and get accustomed to it.

What part specifically is not working?

You need to press direct to.
Twist the inner knob to start picking a character.
Twist the other knob to move the cursor to the next position.
Twist the inner knob...
Repeat a few times.

Press enter to complete and activate.

Where exactly in the above steps is it not working?

ballistx
Airman

Post by ballistx »

The part where you have to use the scroll wheel on the mouse to rotate the inner knob. Found that by accident.
On the GPS500 in the stock FSX planes you click on the right inner arrow and you get to type in the code. In the GNS400 you apparently have to use the mouse wheel to rotate the knob. Then you can keyboard in the code.
Is there some place in either the A2A or FSX literature that will let a person know that?

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

So is it working for you now? It sounds like it is.

I don't know where it is in the literature. It is probably buried somewhere in the FSC learning center.

I use it the same way I uae the real one, so i never searched for the instructions.

ballistx
Airman

Post by ballistx »

Yes, got it working
thanks for the inputs

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Cool! There is a lot of inconsistency in the way clickspots behave in the default interfaces before we go into the variety of add-ons implementing their own ways!

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello Oracle is correct the unit is just the default unit so operates the same way. Once you have the cursor up on the default unit you can also just use the keyboard to type in the ICAO's for example.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

ballistx
Airman

Post by ballistx »

Yes you can type, but only AFTER you have used the mouse (WHEEL) to activate the rotation of the knob. Try doing it without touching the scroll wheel on the mouse.

Now I have another one that is baffling me beyond. Flying out of KAEG (Double Eagle II), runway 35. Sync the HI with the magnetic. Set the bug on 350. Take off and immediately activate the autopilot. Fly for 3 minutes at 120 knots. Monitor the GPS and it says I am tracking at 360.

make a LEFT (westerly) turn with the bug back to 170. Fly for 3 minutes at 120 knots. GPS says I am tracking at 160. I am now EAST of the airport. about 3/4 miles.

Continue on 170 (tracking 160 on GPS) for 3 minutes. Make a RIGHT (Westerly) turn with the bug back to 250. GPS says I am tracking at 360 again. Airport is WAY off to the WEST even more.

It indicates that there is a 10 degree error in the magnetic compass on the plane. The correction chart shows the 1-2 degrees error.

Is there someway to calibrate the compass? Or am I just stupid?
Last edited by ballistx on 28 Apr 2017, 06:34, edited 1 time in total.

Oliver Branaschky
Senior Airman

Garmin GNS400 PROBLEMS

Post by Oliver Branaschky »

The magnetic variation at that airport is 17.2°W (as of April 2017). Depending on the date the scenery you're using was created, it could well be around 10°W in your sim (since the magnetic poles are constantly moving). That would explain the difference.

Viele Grüße | Best regards,
Oliver

ballistx
Airman

Post by ballistx »

Sorry, had a typo. It is KAEG, not FAEG.

According to the April 27, 2017 sectional the magnetic variation is just under 9 degrees East.
Weather is set to calm, no wind.

KAEG is next to Albuquerque, NM.

I thought maybe the GPS was set up for true north instead of magnetic? That could give me the reason it doesn't track with the HI, but wouldn't explain missing the airport that way.

ballistx
Airman

Post by ballistx »

OK I know HOW but I don't know WHY.
HOW: The wind was 271 at 18 knots. It was set as customized and the wind was at 0. So why it came up at 18 knots I do not know yet. I have to head up to a project so won't be able to check it till this evening.

I again saved it as calm, loaded it and it came up 18 knots again.

I am sure it is me just don't know which one.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

One thing is to make sure you read the compass dead on to eliminate parallax error. The A2A gauges are 3D and do introduce a bit if parallax error when read from the sides.

Next up is the wind. I found the FSX wind settings screen to be less than intuitive. You might have cleared out one and layer and left others above. Look for the option for set up the next wind layers and then delete them all.

18 knots direct would probably really in very close to a 10 WCA at 100ish knots.

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180”