Cherooke AP glidesloope question

The Low Wing Wonder
new reply
TommyH
Airman

Cherooke AP glidesloope question

Post by TommyH »

Hello all.

I got Cherookee for some time now but this was actualy my First try of ILS aproach with autopilot. Forgive me on my ignorance but, I found out that Cherookee has lot of problems with precision following of course and he did not want to follow glidesloope at all. Now i maybe missiong some info here so maybe someone would be kind enough to fill me in. Is Cherokee capable to do full ILS landing on autopilot? :?:

mallcott
Staff Sergeant

Re: Cherooke AP glidesloope question

Post by mallcott »

TommyH wrote:Hello all.

I got Cherookee for some time now but this was actualy my First try of ILS aproach with autopilot. Forgive me on my ignorance but, I found out that Cherookee has lot of problems with precision following of course and he did not want to follow glidesloope at all. Now i maybe missiong some info here so maybe someone would be kind enough to fill me in. Is Cherokee capable to do full ILS landing on autopilot? :?:
No. Lateral Guidance only.

SpitfireMelodeon
Senior Airman

Post by SpitfireMelodeon »

Hi Tommy

The simple autopilot is technically unable to follow the glideslope.

Cheers and Beers

Bill
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

TommyH
Airman

Post by TommyH »

AH I suspected so. Thanks. I guess I will stick with my PA44 then for IFR's thanks

pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pilottj »

The Cherokee is perfectly capable flying IFR (as is the Comanche...equipped with the same AP), and flying approaches. True you must fly IAP by hand, but it is an easy plane to fly by hand. Try ILS by hand, it is much more rewarding than watching the AP do it. :D I always turn off the AP when I reach TOD, then fly the decent and approach. The Cherokee only goes 110kts or so, so you have plenty of time to figure out where you are and make adjustments. 8)
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Also, the S-TEC in Cherokee is perfectly capable of accurately tracking the localizer if needed. You need to fly the capture phase in ST or HD mode, and when established switch to either TRK. I've flown tens of ILS approaches on AP (sometimes down to minima) in both Cherokee and Comanche with no issues.

-Esa

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180”