hPa instead of hg and removing tail number

The Low Wing Wonder
new reply
RobertPBham
Airman Basic

hPa instead of hg and removing tail number

Post by RobertPBham »

Hi there,

I have just purchased the Cherokee 180 and am very impressed - I have my PPL license in the UK and purchased to assist with keeping current when the weather isn't great over here. I've just started my IR(R) training. I've learnt and am learning in a PA28-161 and hence the purchase.

I do have a couple of questions - in the UK we use hPa for altimeter settings - is there any way of changing the altimeter for this instead of Hg?

I noticed the tail number is always set to an N.... number - after looking on this forum I understand it is part of the paint job and people create their own - as I fly in different training aircraft is there a paint job available that has no tail number - I know this might be unrealistic but just as unrealistic as it displaying the incorrect tail number. I don't have any 'Photoshop' skills so daren't try and do it myself.

One last question (and nothing to do with the plane) is the Flight Simulator data for airport frequencies etc - I've noticed that these are hugely out of date (my home field - Wellesbourne - EGBW) has a frequency of 124.025 but the sim has it as 122.900 - I've even tried Prepar3d and this is the same. Is there any way of updating these and all the navaids (ILS, VOR etc) so that they match current charts and airport information or are they just best left as is?

It truly is a great sim - I've already had fouled plugs and a flat battery (due to leaving the nav lights on overnight) - the landings are also interesting - arrive with a bit of a bump - very similar to my real life ones! :-)

Thanks for your help
Rob

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: hPa instead of hg and removing tail number

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Rob and welcome. :)

You can use the shift 4 "payload and fuel manager" to change between imperial and metric (mb/hPa - call it what you will) units. The option is at bottom right.

As regards the sim navdata, exactly what you're after can be found here (for free): https://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids3.html. Probably best to take a look at the FAQ before updating, though it's very easy and reversible.

Not sure about 'unregistered' repaints (I think that would get you in trouble with the FAA!) but there are plenty of G-reg ones out there.

Cheers,
Nick

RobertPBham
Airman Basic

Post by RobertPBham »

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the reply - really helpful and covers all of the questions I asked!

I'll try all of the new settings and nav data in the week and see how I progress.

I initially couldn't work out after I'd started the engine why everything became foggy - I then realised it was the windows misting up - opened the side window and everything was clear - very clever.

Most embarrassing moment has been starting a new flight afresh today and the engine starting and then cutting out - I tried all the tricks that I do in the real plane to no avail. Then realised as I was being lazy and not using a proper check list that I'd left the mixture completely lean..... This is one of the reasons I always use a check list in real flights and not rely on memory - it's just too easy to forget something!

Brilliant all the same.

Thanks
Rob

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

You're welcome Rob - please drop by if you have any more questions as somebody will usually pop along to help.

As regards leaning the mixture for ground operations, I've read advice mentioning that one advantage of aggressive leaning is that if you try and advance power for take-off but forget to enrich the mixture beforehand, you'll know all about it as you describe. However, under the same circumstances, if you'd just leaned out 'a bit' you could suffer an undetected partial loss of power which could potentially spoil your day!

Hope all goes well with the instrument rating training. :)

Cheers,
Nick

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180”