New video: Cherokee at Sumburgh with instructor on board!

The Low Wing Wonder
new reply
Dreamsofwings
A2A Mechanic

New video: Cherokee at Sumburgh with instructor on board!

Post by Dreamsofwings »

So thought I would improve my skills by hiring an instructor and take a short hop from Sumburgh to shoot the offset ILS on Rwy27....

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=UfzFppC2deE[/youtube]

Dreamsofwings youtube channel https://m.youtube.com/c/Dreamsofwings
@dreamsofwings1 page on Facebook. Dreamsofwings1 on Instagram & Twitter

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: New video: Cherokee at Sumburgh with instructor on board

Post by Oracle427 »

Nice vid and interesting seeing this flight instructor in action.

One observation. On the approach are you using the rudder to align yourself with the runway? It felt like you were stepping on the rudder to try and center the needle on the ILS, but I couldn't tell for sure. Instead, just turn the airplane a tiny amount and allow the needle to come to the center and then turn it back just a tiny amount to stop it from moving. You were actually doing pretty good with very small corrections. Flying an ILS is challenging so good job for not going all over the sky with big corrections chasing the needles!
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Dreamsofwings
A2A Mechanic

Post by Dreamsofwings »

Oracle427 wrote:Nice vid and interesting seeing this flight instructor in action.

One observation. On the approach are you using the rudder to align yourself with the runway? It felt like you were stepping on the rudder to try and center the needle on the ILS, but I couldn't tell for sure. Instead, just turn the airplane a tiny amount and allow the needle to come to the center and then turn it back just a tiny amount to stop it from moving. You were actually doing pretty good with very small corrections. Flying an ILS is challenging so good job for not going all over the sky with big corrections chasing the needles!
To be honest I am not sure how much of it was crosswind and how much of it was me wanting to fly visual on the runway centreline but knowing I had to get over to the offset ILS localizer. It felt very strange doing an offset having flown 100s of normal ones though I am sure it is easier than I have made out.
I was using a bit of rudder and also aileron to try and intercept but felt a bit like swimming against a strong current! In hindsight I think crosswind had a large contribution to it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Yes, that is a big mental workout when your eyes are getting conflicting data from the instruments vs what you see outside. Fighting that urge to line up is very tough. I wonder why that approach is offset as I didn't see an obstacle.

A crosswind just requires one to crab into the wind by turning the plane however much is required to compensate. Stepping on the rudder will just get you out of coordination and not stop you from being drifted off course. While watching, I kept thinking that you were so close to getting the crab established. You were great on that glideslope the whole way! I don't think you got more than 1 deviation off the localizer. This instructor is harsh. :)

You normally would not cruise along stepping on the rudder, so definitely no need to do it on the approach until lining up on short final.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Dreamsofwings
A2A Mechanic

Post by Dreamsofwings »

Oracle427 wrote:Yes, that is a big mental workout when your eyes are getting conflicting data from the instruments vs what you see outside. Fighting that urge to line up is very tough. I wonder why that approach is offset as I didn't see an obstacle.

A crosswind just requires one to crab into the wind by turning the plane however much is required to compensate. Stepping on the rudder will just get you out of coordination and not stop you from being drifted off course. While watching, I kept thinking that you were so close to getting the crab established. You were great on that glideslope the whole way! I don't think you got more than 1 deviation off the localizer. This instructor is harsh. :)

You normally would not cruise along stepping on the rudder, so definitely no need to do it on the approach until lining up on short final.
Thanks! Yes will have to watch that next time! Perhaps I was using more rudder than I thought!!

I was trying to understand the offset too. At first I thought I had a bug in my sim until I went to ORBX support forum and saw it is just the way it is in real world. I can't find the reason for the offset though have seen one suggestion that the end of the runway is extended into the sea so presumably the localiser ground station is sited unusually maybe.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Greay job nice to see Flyingschool in action too! 8)
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

rictus
Senior Airman

Post by rictus »

May I ask what you're using for landscape scenery here please?

Dreamsofwings
A2A Mechanic

Post by Dreamsofwings »

rictus wrote:May I ask what you're using for landscape scenery here please?
This is ORBX EGPB Sumburgh for the airport and immediate surroundings. Also using ORBX FTX EU Scotland which is required for this airport add on.

Dreamsofwings
A2A Mechanic

Post by Dreamsofwings »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Greay job nice to see Flyingschool in action too! 8)
Cheers Lewis, yes its an interesting add-on and great the way it integrates with the Cherokee.

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180”