"I Learned About (Virtual) Flying From That..."

The Low Wing Wonder
new reply
Randall
Airman

"I Learned About (Virtual) Flying From That..."

Post by Randall »

FLYING magazine has monthly feature called, "I Learned About Flying From That..." Here is my version of "I Learned About (Virtual) Flying From That..."

I had a genuine scare and started to panic yesterday as I flew the A2A Cherokee in Orbyx PNW. I was flying VFR from Concrete airport to Darrington. Using AS16, the ceiling was about 5,000 ft, and I was flying at 2500 ft.

I was following a river through a valley, and using no radio navaids nor was I using GPS. All of a sudden I was in a cloud or fog which I did not see coming. Visibility was zero, and remained that way for a couple of minutes. There was literally nothing I could do but fly straight ahead and descend, knowing there were mountains all around.

By the time I emerged from the cloud, I was 5 seconds from plowing into a mountain. Full power, climbing right turn to clear the obstacle, and a less-than perfect landing at Darrington left me with the terrible realization that had that been real life, I might very well have become a statistic in the files of the FAA.

I know that one of the chief causes for GA accidents is flying VFR and then going into IMC. I will pay much closer attention from to the weather from now on.

I am not a real pilot, but I find the FSX, properly used, can sure teach me a lot!

--Randall Griffin

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Re: "I Learned About (Virtual) Flying From That..."

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi,

Nice experience you had in the sim. Thanks for sharing! Can you imagine, what is it to experience similar situation in a Piper Cub? :mrgreen:
Beautifully flying in the "soup" with only the whiskey compass showing, that you are straight and level. ;)
I am not a real pilot too, but flying manuals teach, in occasion of clouds or IMC, when you're under VFR rules, to execute a 180 degree turn while maintaining your current altitude and exit the IMC conditions.

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

Randall
Airman

Post by Randall »

Thanks. That makes sense. That's exactly what I should have done: executed a 180 and went back to where it was clear.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

hehe I loved reading those at the EAA museum, they have a little room filled with the little paintings and a brief overview of the I learn about flying story. I must have spend a good 30mins reading and looking at those hehe. Would have been longer but time was limited.

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180”