max range

The Low Wing Wonder
new reply
awash2002
A2A ACE

max range

Post by awash2002 »

What is the maximum range of the Cherokee?

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Re: max range

Post by bobsk8 »

awash2002 wrote:What is the maximum range of the Cherokee?

http://www.risingup.com/planespecs/info ... e517.shtml
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

awash2002
A2A ACE

Post by awash2002 »

So 510NM OK that really changes things around on my around the world flight

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

The wind is going to be a much bigger factor on your range planning. You need to choose a cruising altitude with the most favorable winds and performance for your mission. I forgot if those figures assume 75% power or best endurance at a lower airspeed and power setting.

Best to consider the amount of time you can remain aloft vs the range. Once you know how much time you can keep flying, then you can consider the winds and true airspeed to figure out how far you will actually go.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

awash2002
A2A ACE

Post by awash2002 »

Right now I'm at 7,000 feet 9.2gph 124kts cruise now on some legs I will go up as high as 10,000

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

You are definitely not making your best endurance there.

http://www.coyoteflight.com/resources/A ... 8-180E.pdf

Page 62 of the PDF, page 39 of the POH.
You can extend the endurance significantly, though again, the winds aloft will also greatly affect your groundspeed.

Remember that if the winds are direct headwinds at 50 knots at 10000 feet, then you will only cover 50 NM at a true airspeed of 100 after an hour of flight. If you had 50 knot tailwinds, you would cover 150 NM after an hour. That is a HUGE difference!

So make sure to check winds aloft and choose an appropriate cruising altitude as well as an optimal power setting to get a safe endurance you need for a given leg.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Post by ratty »

I took the Cherokee around the world a couple of years ago. Had a lot of of time to experiment with airspeed, altitude, and power and mixture settings. The winds make a big difference; you can get blown a long way if you stay up for ten hours or so. I had to wait a week at FIMR for winds that would get me to Diego Garcia. The longest hop I managed was just under 1000 nm.

mallcott
Staff Sergeant

Post by mallcott »

awash2002 wrote:Right now I'm at 7,000 feet 9.2gph 124kts cruise now on some legs I will go up as high as 10,000
For max range calculation, use GROUNDSPEED not IAS for route and flight planning. Your IAS is less significant than your ability to cover distance and for long endurance flights the impact of groundspeed has greater significance the longer you spend in the air. You will adjust your altitude to maximise ground speed, or at least minimise its impact,

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

For max endurance every little thing helps as well. If i have the runway ill take off at less than full power and do a gentle climb to altitude to keep fuel burn as low as possible
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

mallcott
Staff Sergeant

Post by mallcott »

n421nj wrote:For max endurance every little thing helps as well. If i have the runway ill take off at less than full power and do a gentle climb to altitude to keep fuel burn as low as possible
That may not be advantageous.

If you can get to height sooner you can lean further, take advantage of tail winds and improve your (nautical) miles per gallon over the course of the whole flight, by far the greatest proportion of which will be spent at cruise on a long range trip. If you spend an hour at 20 gallons per hour there's a point (well a line) on the graph of ground distance travelled v. ground speed where it's disadvantageous to NOT climb at best speed. And of course, if you slow the climb the you lengthen the time to GET to those advantageous tail winds.

It's the same reason that jets fly high for even relatively short stage lengths - the advantage in fuel burn `up there` more than compensates for the fuel burnt getting `up there`. What is common to both props and jets is that power is reduced for descent so if the descent length is lengthy (as it will be for descending from altitude) you will proportionately spend longer in ground miles covered at reduced fuel burn - massively so. Depending on calculations on weather effect this can even mean going far higher than normal `peak altitude` in order to spend longer in ground speed advantage at reduced flows.

This why there are no simple answers, no one-line pieces of advice to be thrown, and no right or wrong - your case could be totally justifiable in the case of constant head winds for example - why waste the time to climb to altitude when it's a 30-knot headwind whatever AGL you choose?

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180”