Comanche owner considering Cherokee

The Low Wing Wonder
Dreamsofwings
A2A Mechanic

Comanche owner considering Cherokee

Post by Dreamsofwings »

Hi all Cherokee pilots! :D

So I own the A2A Comanche, of which I am a big fan. Love using it for GA hops. I have had my eye on the Cherokee also for some time since it looks great, but am wondering if, considering the cost and my already large fleet of A2A aircraft, whether I really need it. I mean to say does it give that much of a different experience to the Comanche to warrant having both a/c in my hanger? Any feedback from virtual pilots who fly both would be most appreciated!

Dreamsofwings youtube channel https://m.youtube.com/c/Dreamsofwings
@dreamsofwings1 page on Facebook. Dreamsofwings1 on Instagram & Twitter

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Comanche owner considering Cherokee

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
I started with my first A2A aircraft the C172 so i could do my vatsim p2 exam , i fell in love with the way , you had to look after the aircraft , i got this on the 13 march this year , i now own 10 A2A aircraft , spitfire was my last purchase on the 14 oct this year , i love them all , and looking forward to the connie when shes released.
Aircraft i own in the order i got them all with accu-sim.
C172/C182/PA 250/T-6/PA180/B17/P51D MIL/P47/P40/SPIT.
regards alan. 8)

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

robkr1208 wrote:Hi all Cherokee pilots! :D

So I own the A2A Comanche, of which I am a big fan. Love using it for GA hops. I have had my eye on the Cherokee also for some time since it looks great, but am wondering if, considering the cost and my already large fleet of A2A aircraft, whether I really need it. I mean to say does it give that much of a different experience to the Comanche to warrant having both a/c in my hanger? Any feedback from virtual pilots who fly both would be most appreciated!
I consider the Cherokee 180 one of the best planes we ever did for FSX. The work they went into the 180 was ground breaking. For me as a flight instructor I find having it in my system valuable when guests visit who are interested in aviation and want to try the simulator. The 180 is the perfect plane for this. The graphics done for the cockpit on this plane are so good that when Scott first sent me images during the Beta I laughed and asked him if he was trying to fool me by sending me an actual photograph of a 180 cockpit.
By all means, get the Cherokee. Trust me, you'll totally enjoy flying it.
Dudley Henriques

Dreamsofwings
A2A Mechanic

Post by Dreamsofwings »

DHenriquesA2A wrote:
robkr1208 wrote:Hi all Cherokee pilots! :D

I consider the Cherokee 180 one of the best planes we ever did for FSX. The work they went into the 180 was ground breaking. For me as a flight instructor I find having it in my system valuable when guests visit who are interested in aviation and want to try the simulator. The 180 is the perfect plane for this. The graphics done for the cockpit on this plane are so good that when Scott first sent me images during the Beta I laughed and asked him if he was trying to fool me by sending me an actual photograph of a 180 cockpit.
By all means, get the Cherokee. Trust me, you'll totally enjoy flying it.
Dudley Henriques
Thanks Dudley, off to download it now!

r601020
Senior Airman

Post by r601020 »

Went the other way, from Cherokee to Comanche.

Although the recommended changing of tanks is about a half-hour, I would reset the timer in the Cherokee to remind me to change tanks about every 15 minutes; if ever a plane needed an aileron trim, it's the Cherokee. Tap, tap, tap, tap, tap . .

I had the most success with "not" fouling plugs, by beginning a taxi at around 50%, then once moving, adjusting it to about 45%. What a real plane is like, don't know, but that's how my SIM worked.

Carburetor heater. Check your weather, and you'll learn when to turn it on in advance of freezing. Granted, I live in mountainous and humid conditions, so if you're flying elsewhere, it's probably not as common a condition.
Richard

Dreamsofwings
A2A Mechanic

Post by Dreamsofwings »

Well I installed and just went for first flight. Beautiful aircraft to fly. Used real weather (AN16) to get a real feel for her on an English autumnal day. First impressions are that it is one of those aircraft that feels very at home aloft. Take off and approach very smooth and stable. Very glad I purchased as it does have a different feel to the Comanche. I can't imagine my sim without A2A accusim aircraft. It has been totally revolutionised and feels more like flying!

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

robkr1208 wrote:Well I installed and just went for first flight. Beautiful aircraft to fly. Used real weather (AN16) to get a real feel for her on an English autumnal day. First impressions are that it is one of those aircraft that feels very at home aloft. Take off and approach very smooth and stable. Very glad I purchased as it does have a different feel to the Comanche. I can't imagine my sim without A2A accusim aircraft. It has been totally revolutionised and feels more like flying!
I have the C 172, C 182 and THe Cherokee, and my favorite of the three of them is the Cherokee.
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

rictus
Senior Airman

Post by rictus »

Seconded - I could cope having the Cherokee and not the Comanche, but not the other way round... I love my cherry!

pcartier
Airman Basic

Post by pcartier »

Have to agree with all the previous posts, I own the Comanche and purchased the Cherokee last week and can not stop flying her, the cockpit textures are amazing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

DC3
Technical Sergeant

Post by DC3 »

I have had both the Cherokee and the Comanche since they were each released. Although the Comanche is fast and great for the long trip and an all around fantastic aircraft, it doesn't compare to the Cherokee when it comes to those flights around the country side. The Cherokee really fits those days when you want to go around and see local airports or airports that are slightly outside the local area. It is great for low level sight seeing. It is stable, has just the right speed, and is easy to fly. On those lazy days when I don't want to do a whole lot of pre-flight planning and I am not too concerned about getting from point A to point B in the most efficient way I will take the Cherokee. If I see a place to land I will put it down and enjoy the experience. It's not that the Cherokee won't take you places, because it will, but it is just a joy to hand fly and to be in when you have all day to get there or to do whatever. (BTW I also change tanks around every 15 minutes to keep the little Cherokee flying level).

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

I think its safe to say the Cherokee has what is commonly referred to as a 'cult following'. A lot of die hards out there who really love it :mrgreen: 8) I consider myself one of them too, something about the classic GA look it has.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

rictus
Senior Airman

Post by rictus »

Seconded for a second time... It's a pretty plane - even more pretty that it doesn't just look good but flies solidly too!

Dreamsofwings
A2A Mechanic

Post by Dreamsofwings »

Went for my second flight last night and this time chose a longer cross country route and part of it was IMC so a good mix of conditions. Seriously impressed with this Cherokee. Really is a beautiful aircraft to fly whether eyes out the window of head down on the instruments. Love the feel of the approach and landing. Great work guys!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jeeno
Airman

Post by Jeeno »

I'm on the opposite side: the only A2A plane I own is the Cherokee and I think it's just an incredible aircraft (nearly 230h flown on this aircraft in 14 months). I'm considering buying the Comanche for Christmas as I need something faster for longer flights. However the Cherokee is absolutely awesome 8)

Paul K
Technical Sergeant

Post by Paul K »

If I was allowed to keep only one A2A G.A. aircraft, it would be the Cherokee. I'd miss the others, certainly, but the Cherokee has an indefinable 'something' about it; maybe it's that panel, with its recessed instruments.

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180”