Cherokee 180 using Baskins' N6316J Paint?

The Low Wing Wonder
LarryCFII
Airman

Cherokee 180 using Baskins' N6316J Paint?

Post by LarryCFII »

Fellow Aviators!!

I was surprised and happy when Bastins decided to do a paint of N6316J, the Cherokee 180 I owned for 20 years before selling it. Bastins saw it online for sale and chose to do a paint of it. Thank you Mr. Bastins!! If any of you use this paint with your A2A Cherokee, I would love to hear from you, and especially if you have some photos or frame grabs of N6316J from your flights, I would love to see them. www.facebook.com/larry.collins.900 Facebook them to me or send me a link. I am just curious how many sim pilots are enjoying the beauty of this paint. Is there a way to know? Maybe Bastins knows.

Just a note of interest... the paint design that is so attractive on this Cherokee is based on a Bonanza paint scheme, and when I had the plane painted several years ago, I chose this Bonanza design. In my humble opinion, this enhances the appeal of this paint. Again, thank you to the discriminating taste of Mr. Bastins!! :)
Larry

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Cherokee 180 using Baskins' N6316J Paint?

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Larry do you have a link to the paint?

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

speedy70
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by speedy70 »

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Okie dokie,

once I get my main FS sim back up and running (RMA complete just waiting on shipping confirmation now) I'll have a ganders. The 'ole laptop is unfortunately a little on the light side to be adding repaints to the basic steam fs install.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

shortspecialbus
Staff Sergeant

Post by shortspecialbus »

Whereabouts were you when you had this?

I'm happy to take a few shots, and it might be more fun to do so around your old haunts, or maybe a favorite trip you took in it?

It'll give me something new and fun to do :)

-stefan

LarryCFII
Airman

Post by LarryCFII »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Larry do you have a link to the paint?

thanks,
Lewis
Hi Lewis, Yes, thanks for asking... here is a link to see the paint by Baskins and at the bottom of the page.. the link to get the paint. I hope you enjoy it and to hear from you again.

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 6J#p316441
Last edited by LarryCFII on 25 Apr 2016, 09:02, edited 1 time in total.

LarryCFII
Airman

Post by LarryCFII »

shortspecialbus wrote:Whereabouts were you when you had this?

I'm happy to take a few shots, and it might be more fun to do so around your old haunts, or maybe a favorite trip you took in it?

It'll give me something new and fun to do :)

-stefan
Hi Stefan.... Thanks so much for your response. I love flying this airplane, and it brings back many fond memories... We flew "Juliet" many places... some of the most enjoyable were... Mackinac Island, MI / Niagara Falls / Santa Fe, NM / Chattanooga, TN / Edisto Island, SC just for example..... thank you so much for doing this... it will be great to see Juliet in her old haunts.... My home airport is KAAA, in Lincoln, IL. This will be a great gift for me and my wife to see, she accompanied me on these flights and is also a private pilot. Thank you so much.

Larry

shortspecialbus
Staff Sergeant

Ok, cool. I'll try to get some shots for you in the next couple days! Do keep in mind that I have the artistic ability of a mollusk, so don't expect wonderful compositions ;)

-stefan

LarryCFII
Airman

Post by LarryCFII »

shortspecialbus wrote:Ok, cool. I'll try to get some shots for you in the next couple days! Do keep in mind that I have the artistic ability of a mollusk, so don't expect wonderful compositions ;)

-stefan
Stephan, thank you so much... it is a joy to me to know you will take the time to create a picture or two for my collection. !!! Thank you so much... if I can do anything to make your sim experience more enjoyable, let me know.... Larry

shortspecialbus
Staff Sergeant

Alright!

I've decided to purchase your plane from KAAA. First stop is going to be one of the two airports nearest my house, C29. Routing will be KAAA ALAND V69 PNT V9 KELSI V128 RFD V63 JVL V9 MSN C29. We'll work our way to Niagara Falls with some (many) scheduled stops, as I need to keep flight times manageable for my evenings. Also, I had a local mechanic put in a GTN 750 because I spent a lot of money on it a bit back and don't want it to go to waste ;)

Scheduled stops (some will just be very brief) will be at:
* KSBM Sheboygan Municipal to visit family
* KMCD Mackinac Island for a quick vacation
* CYVV Wiarton for an overnight stay
* KIAG Niagara Falls for a scenic vacation, and finally for this part,
* KBUF to load the plane into a 777 and fly it somewhere I have nicer scenery ;)

I think I'll likely fly it to KJAC and then work my way (the long way) to its new home in Gustavus, Alaska. This should give me something to do with myself for a while.

Screenshots from this first flight will follow shortly. I'm going to do current weather but kick the clock back a few hours to have daylight for better shots for this flight.

-stefan

Edit: Took me a while because I had to pause in the middle to play an unexpectedly early release of the Hoops mode for Rocket League ;) Pictures are uploading now, way too many of them. I'll add a few captions and post a couple in here and link to the entire album. I'll have it done tomorrow.

shortspecialbus
Staff Sergeant

Ok, album is up and captioned. It was a fun flight, although not really realistic - I wouldn't have normally flown through these storms, but whatever. I also started getting too upset about the landclass and not flying the plane very well towards the end, so there's some altitude variation. At least I had some inspiration to bind the screenshot key to my PTT on the yoke so there's some shots of the landing. Sorry for the mostly in-cockpit shots, I have to remind myself to use exterior views since I normally rarely leave the cockpit view. Sim is P3D v3.2, Scenery around here is FTX Global + Vector with the stock (TERRIBLE) landclass, using REX Soft Clouds and Texture Direct. I forgot to adjust the water textures before flight so they're a bit brighter than they should be. For this flight, all sliders are pretty well maxed. FPS was locked 30 except for a brief time during some weather. Speaking of weather, it's ASN.

Full thing is here: http://imgur.com/a/Eo16w

All 83 pictures in 1600p. And this is a pruned down set of the pictures I took, yeesh.

Here's a few select images, but the album will have way more.

Preflight

Lined up

Left wing is still attached.

This isn't very smart

Turning at Pontiac

Above the weather

Lazy co-pilot and navigator :x

Our destination

My house is in theory right about here, but the landclass is horrible. It should be rolling countryside with farms, not whatever disaster this is.

Final

Parked at Middleton Morey

Hope you enjoyed them, Larry! Let me know, and I can keep doing these. I'm also happy to take suggestions. I'm really not very good at screenshots or composition here, so it's kind of random.

-stefan

Edit: Fixed a link, and a brief note that the pictures in the album are much higher quality than the smaller versions here.

LarryCFII
Airman

Post by LarryCFII »

shortspecialbus wrote:Ok, album is up and captioned. It was a fun flight, although not really realistic - I wouldn't have normally flown through these storms, but whatever. I also started getting too upset about the landclass and not flying the plane very well towards the end, so there's some altitude variation. At least I had some inspiration to bind the screenshot key to my PTT on the yoke so there's some shots of the landing. Sorry for the mostly in-cockpit shots, I have to remind myself to use exterior views since I normally rarely leave the cockpit view. Sim is P3D v3.2, Scenery around here is FTX Global + Vector with the stock (TERRIBLE) landclass, using REX Soft Clouds and Texture Direct. I forgot to adjust the water textures before flight so they're a bit brighter than they should be. For this flight, all sliders are pretty well maxed. FPS was locked 30 except for a brief time during some weather. Speaking of weather, it's ASN.
Fatastic!!!!!! Thank you so much... I am so happy to see Juliet out in the system and traveling the nation. The pictures are wonderful and much appreciated. It is apparent I have much you could teach me about scenery, Gps, and many things regarding sim flight. I love the album... wonderful.... only one suggestion, maybe you could go into maintenance and put the speed fairings on the airplane as that is how we usually configured it in real life. Thank you sooooooo much. Larry

shortspecialbus
Staff Sergeant

It just so happens that there are sim fairings for sale at sim C29. I'll put those on. Did you have gap seals? And/or the wing root fairing thingy that I can't recall what it's called right now? Or just the tire fairings?

Glad you like it!

-stefan

LarryCFII
Airman

Post by LarryCFII »

shortspecialbus wrote:It just so happens that there are sim fairings for sale at sim C29. I'll put those on. Did you have gap seals? And/or the wing root fairing thingy that I can't recall what it's called right now? Or just the tire fairings?

Glad you like it!

-stefan

I found the fairings for N6316J were in the maintenance hangar and I just clicked to add them and the speed fairings too. Hope that helps. I didn't pay extra for them.
Larry

shortspecialbus
Staff Sergeant

LarryCFII wrote:
shortspecialbus wrote:It just so happens that there are sim fairings for sale at sim C29. I'll put those on. Did you have gap seals? And/or the wing root fairing thingy that I can't recall what it's called right now? Or just the tire fairings?

Glad you like it!

-stefan

I found the fairings for N6316J were in the maintenance hangar and I just clicked to add them and the speed fairings too. Hope that helps. I didn't pay extra for them.
Larry
Yeah, I know ;) I'm sort of making it fit my fake narrative where I'm buying your plane and flying it around. Guess it's not working all that well, haha.

Question about the gap seals and wing root fairing still applies.

-stefan

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180”