Pushback and turning the cherokee at the gate

The Low Wing Wonder
bobbykins
Airman

Pushback and turning the cherokee at the gate

Post by bobbykins »

Hi all-I have no problem with this in my default FSX (shift+P and 1/2 to turn ). In my 180 however, the pushback works in the straight line but application of the 1/2 does not get it to turn either way. Yesterday it even went through the field fence (good job it is a Sim) at Kidlington uk however many times I stopped/started it or pressed the buttons mapped on the keyboard! Just carried straight on.Backwards.
Could it be that the 2 button is already mapped by default to the A2A pop up windows and I should be mapping it to something else, finger trouble, or me missing something here?Anyone else got the same prob? I have the Saitek yoke and throttle quad. with pedals and FSX Gold.
I get around it at the moment by pushing back far enough to let me start up and go forward turning using the pedals and rudder but I would like to be "doing it proper like" as this is a bit difficult on small fields in ORBX NZ and EU England. The rest of the Cherokee sim is just great.
I have seen many threads on this push back issue with other planes ( eg nose angle limitations on some Airbus etc.) on the forums but nothing relating to the Cherokee and it is so annoying that it works with the default stuff.
Thanks in anticipation
Bobbykins

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Pushback and turning the cherokee at the gate

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

with GA aircraft you should be able to just turn the aircraft , the push back feature is more for the tubeliners at gates etc.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

bobbykins
Airman

Post by bobbykins »

Good morning Lewis, thanks for the prompt reply,great service as usual, but are we saying that we just hit shift+p and then1/2 immediately so that we get no straight line push back (tried that ,no go) or as I do it now in my O.P or perhaps something else?
Thanks
Bobbykins

aprewett
Staff Sergeant

Post by aprewett »

I can push back but never get the plane to turn, so also interested if I am doing something wrong.
Does it matter which number on the key board?
Allan

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Sorry I wasn't clear, what I mean is why would you be using an airliners push back tractor for a Cherokee?

You should be able to start up and turn on a dime as you would in reality. With the C182 we have the tow feature that may be added to other aircraft at a later date but no decision have been made on this yet as its still under investigation.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Taxing a small piston like these to a gate wouldn't happen IRL. You would be parked well away in an open area where you have room and would be away from large aircraft.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

aprewett
Staff Sergeant

Post by aprewett »

In my sim I often find myself boxed in by other light planes and don't think the space is big enough.
Plus I am mind full of not starting the plane in the lines due to blow back on to others. So try to maintain good ground procedures in the sim.
Allan

DC3
Technical Sergeant

Post by DC3 »

I don't want to hijack this thread, but the B377 will push straight back but will not turn with the 1 or 2 keys pressed subsequent to the p key for the pushback.

The cherokee won't turn either.

In fact no A2A plane seems to turn with the 1/2 key on the pushback.

Hi Lewis, can you confirm that this is the case. Empirical evidence in my investigations seem to indicate this is the case.

Thanks.

bobbykins
Airman

Post by bobbykins »

Hi all- useful to see all the replies and pleased to see that it cleared me of "finger trouble". Perhaps my use of the word "gate " may have confused things. Some of the smaller airports in ORBX leave me outside of a hangar/building/AI or close to it when I start with the Cherokee at a G A parking area. Particularly on grass the revs have to be quite high to get the 180 moving and you have to be very quick to shut down some and turn with rudder and toe brake to miss things. So push back is sometimes useful.
I used to fly in the real word with a friend who had a Robin 400 (got one on the sim) and the hand tow/push gadget on the front wheel was very handy sometimes and it would be nice to see that modelled as a fix on the 180 for a hands-on push back etc as I believe is in being for some other A2A 'planes.
But ,hey, I can live with what we have got.
Happy flying
Bobbykins

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

Perhaps a tow bar feature is in order for the cherokee?
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

bastins
Senior Airman

Post by bastins »

n421nj wrote:Perhaps a tow bar feature is in order for the cherokee?
I would absolutely love to see the Cherokee get a tow bar. Slew mode just isn't the immersive experience Accu-Sim deserves ;)

kevinfirth
Airman

Post by kevinfirth »

bastins wrote:
n421nj wrote:Perhaps a tow bar feature is in order for the cherokee?
I would absolutely love to see the Cherokee get a tow bar. Slew mode just isn't the immersive experience Accu-Sim deserves ;)
+1

DC3
Technical Sergeant

Post by DC3 »

None of the A2A aircraft will turn using 1/2 on the pushback. It would be good to know why this is and what a work around might be for it. Also, to respond to Lewis, IRL it was not uncommon for me to have to use the tow bar to push back the Warriors and Archers I flew from their parking spaces into the taxiway and then start them. In other words the pushback also had a turn to align with the taxiway. The pushback provided by FSX performs this functions, however not having the turn at the end of the pushback is a minor annoyance.

aprewett
Staff Sergeant

Post by aprewett »

Hello.
Did a solution for this thread get sorted?
Or is the tow bar being added?
Thanks.
Allan

Illi73
Staff Sergeant

Post by Illi73 »

bobbykins wrote:Hi all- useful to see all the replies and pleased to see that it cleared me of "finger trouble". Perhaps my use of the word "gate " may have confused things. Some of the smaller airports in ORBX leave me outside of a hangar/building/AI or close to it when I start with the Cherokee at a G A parking area.
Heheh, been there, done that, actually!

It's... let's say "interesting" if you taxi up to a tank station and stop neatly in front of it where you should... to find out that you can't get away without slapping the wing through the whole tank station, technically decapitating it! With the C182 this isn't an issue (as mentioned, it has a tow bar) but for the Cherokee this is a little problematic at the moment ;)

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180”