BIZI G-LIZI

The Low Wing Wonder
severniae
Senior Airman

Re: BIZI G-LIZI

Post by severniae »

Hi All!

Sorry to resurrect such an old post, but just re-installed FSX and bought the Cherokee, was about to request this very paint job and low and behold she's already been done.

I can share some of the history of this Aircraft, she was a big part of my family for nearly 20 years!

LIZI is actually a PA-28-160 rather than the 180 version A2A have modeled, she started her life I believe as G-ARRP - Owned by Mike Flynn of BBC Wales fame - he used her for several years. (you can see his logo on her tail in this photo) - I believe it was Mike who added the current colours, though I believe that she's been repainted now. http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/ph ... 10858.html

I'm not 100 percent on the ownership after Mike, only that I heard the reason that she became G-LIZI was because the previously owner's wife was named 'Elizabeth' - it was these owners that sold the aircraft to a syndicate operating out of RAF Cranwell, one third of the ownership, was in fact my father - He bought LIZI when I was around 7 or 8 years old. We used to take her out for holidays, day trips, you name it! She wasn't the first aircraft I ever flew in, but she was the first I was ever allowed to take to the controls of! One particular flight that springs to mind was a day's outing to visit the Shuttleworth Collection - I don't know why, but for some reason the local farmer's sheep were permitted to graze on the airfield. The problem being that sheep + propellers don't mix terribly well - so the procedure for landing was several low passes to scare the woolly menaces away, followed by a quick landing before they decided the strip was supper again. The reverse was necessary before takeoff - despite my attempts to scare them away running down the runway flapping arms, we had to run several (slow) lengths of the strip before finally getting enough of a clearing to make a takeoff!!

I shall also never forget my Dads ritual of giving her a kiss on the nosecone after every flight as a thanks for getting us home safely.

We had many grand adventures in good old LIZI, she's a beautiful old bird and a joy to fly. Sadly my father sold her nearly 10 years ago but we all still miss her, she was definitely a defining part of my childhood that will never be forgotten and at least this way, I can almost feel like I'm flying her again!

So thanks very much for re-creating a part of my childhood!

Regards,
James

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

How nice! It's good to hear some history of an aircraft I've painted. I generally try to find out what I can, but it can never be on a personal level. Thanks for posting, it's appreciated. :D
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

severniae
Senior Airman

Post by severniae »

Happy to give a little personal touch to the story!

Ron, I'm having a little trouble finding the download file, I've searched the Avsim file library to no avail, any chance you can get me a link?

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello James,

Mr Attwood has a prodigious body of work on Avsim which makes searching a bit tricky. (So does that fact that my spellchecker insists on changing his name to "Atwood".) Try searching for the filename "a2a_pa28_g-lizi_v2.zip" (or just click here).

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

Nick M wrote:Hello James,

Mr Attwood has a prodigious body of work on Avsim which makes searching a bit tricky. (So does that fact that my spellchecker insists on changing his name to "Atwood".) Try searching for the filename "a2a_pa28_g-lizi_v2.zip" (or just click here).

Cheers,
Nick
I fought long and hard, as did my forebears, for that extra T. Hence the expression 'Two teas please' :D
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

severniae
Senior Airman

Post by severniae »

Thanks guys!

Managed to find her and set it all up. I use a VR kit, so it was almost like being home again!

Brilliant paintjob!!

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Cool, which VR kit you using and which platform, P3D or FSX with FSX Flyinside?

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

severniae
Senior Airman

Post by severniae »

Hey Lewis!

I'm using the Occulus Rift and Flyinside Pro - Great program. Sim of choice at the moment is FSX-SE, much cheaper than P3D - though I am starting to get seriously temped to go for it..

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

cool, maybe you can start a post in the pilots lounge forum about your experiences in going VR with FSX:SE. I had to upgrade PC prior to be properly VR ready and now just waiting for Vivie anouncement end of this month before I decide if I want to go vive or Occulus to start my VR journey.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Mike Flynn
Airman Basic

Post by Mike Flynn »

severniae wrote:Hi All!

Sorry to resurrect such an old post, but just re-installed FSX and bought the Cherokee, was about to request this very paint job and low and behold she's already been done.

I can share some of the history of this Aircraft, she was a big part of my family for nearly 20 years!

LIZI is actually a PA-28-160 rather than the 180 version A2A have modeled, she started her life I believe as G-ARRP - Owned by Mike Flynn of BBC Wales fame - he used her for several years. (you can see his logo on her tail in this photo) - I believe it was Mike who added the current colours, though I believe that she's been repainted now. http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/ph ... 10858.html

I'm not 100 percent on the ownership after Mike, only that I heard the reason that she became G-LIZI was because the previously owner's wife was named 'Elizabeth' - it was these owners that sold the aircraft to a syndicate operating out of RAF Cranwell, one third of the ownership, was in fact my father - He bought LIZI when I was around 7 or 8 years old. We used to take her out for holidays, day trips, you name it! She wasn't the first aircraft I ever flew in, but she was the first I was ever allowed to take to the controls of! One particular flight that springs to mind was a day's outing to visit the Shuttleworth Collection - I don't know why, but for some reason the local farmer's sheep were permitted to graze on the airfield. The problem being that sheep + propellers don't mix terribly well - so the procedure for landing was several low passes to scare the woolly menaces away, followed by a quick landing before they decided the strip was supper again. The reverse was necessary before takeoff - despite my attempts to scare them away running down the runway flapping arms, we had to run several (slow) lengths of the strip before finally getting enough of a clearing to make a takeoff!!

I shall also never forget my Dads ritual of giving her a kiss on the nosecone after every flight as a thanks for getting us home safely.

We had many grand adventures in good old LIZI, she's a beautiful old bird and a joy to fly. Sadly my father sold her nearly 10 years ago but we all still miss her, she was definitely a defining part of my childhood that will never be forgotten and at least this way, I can almost feel like I'm flying her again!

Regards,
James
Wow...just stumbled on this thread and great to see my old warhorse lives on. I rescued LIZI or G-ARRP from being scrapped at Aberdeen Dyce in the early 1980's. She served me well. I worked for BBC Radio Wales for a decade presenting a daily show and I used to fly every where in Wales and Europe until I moved to Australia in 1989.I actually plan to be reunited with RP again in just a few weeks time at the Peterborough Flying School who now her. Having last seen her in 1989 it will be like meeting an old girlfriend again. Ron has done a wonderful job. Be nice to see her in the original scheme though.

Mike Flynn
Airman Basic

Post by Mike Flynn »

severniae wrote:Hi All!

Regards,
James
Wow...just stumbled on this thread and great to see my old warhorse lives on. I rescued LIZI or G-ARRP from being scrapped at Aberdeen Dyce in the early 1980's. She served me well. I worked for BBC Radio Wales for a decade presenting a daily show and I used to fly every where in Wales and Europe until I moved to Australia in 1989.I actually plan to be reunited with RP again in just a few weeks time at the Peterborough Flying School who now her. Having last seen her in 1989 it will be like meeting an old girlfriend again. Ron has done a wonderful job. Be nice to see her in the original scheme though.

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180”