Pre Flight Checklist

The Low Wing Wonder
new reply
piperpilot42
Airman

Pre Flight Checklist

Post by piperpilot42 »

I have been performing the pre-flight checklist religiously just as I do when I fly the real thing. Doing an actual pre-flight I have experienced irregularities, such as water in one of the fuel tanks, strut under-inflated, low tire pressure, etc. In the A2A sim I never experience an issue...everything always checks out. Does the program ever create an issue or am I going thru the motions because every good pilot should do a preflight? Just wondering...thanks

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Pre Flight Checklist

Post by Oracle427 »

Something will break eventually, especially when you are paying less attention. :twisted:
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

piperpilot42 wrote:I have been performing the pre-flight checklist religiously just as I do when I fly the real thing. Doing an actual pre-flight I have experienced irregularities, such as water in one of the fuel tanks, strut under-inflated, low tire pressure, etc. In the A2A sim I never experience an issue...everything always checks out. Does the program ever create an issue or am I going thru the motions because every good pilot should do a preflight? Just wondering...thanks
We are VERY dubious characters here at A2A. We suck you in until you get complacent then we sock it to you with both barrels.
LOL :-)))))))))))
Dudley Henriques

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Sounds like you are a great sim pilot looking after your aircraft. But yes we do have a certain amount of randomness in built for random failures, however we made sure it is rare and totally random for everyone, You could use the software for years without encountering a random failure whilst your friend could come a across several just as in real life.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

piperpilot42
Airman

Post by piperpilot42 »

Oracle427 wrote:Something will break eventually, especially when you are paying less attention. :twisted:
So much for assuming that nothing will ever break...thanks...will continue to do a thorough pre-flight just as I do in the real world

piperpilot42
Airman

Post by piperpilot42 »

DHenriquesA2A wrote:
piperpilot42 wrote:I have been performing the pre-flight checklist religiously just as I do when I fly the real thing. Doing an actual pre-flight I have experienced irregularities, such as water in one of the fuel tanks, strut under-inflated, low tire pressure, etc. In the A2A sim I never experience an issue...everything always checks out. Does the program ever create an issue or am I going thru the motions because every good pilot should do a preflight? Just wondering...thanks
We are VERY dubious characters here at A2A. We suck you in until you get complacent then we sock it to you with both barrels.
LOL :-)))))))))))
Dudley Henriques
Thanks Dudley...will continue my thorough preflight (in both worlds)

piperpilot42
Airman

Post by piperpilot42 »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Sounds like you are a great sim pilot looking after your aircraft. But yes we do have a certain amount of randomness in built for random failures, however we made sure it is rare and totally random for everyone, You could use the software for years without encountering a random failure whilst your friend could come a across several just as in real life.

thanks,
Lewis
Hi Lewis... not that I had a preflight issue however I did program in cloudy conditions and in the middle of a cross country flight I started losing power. It turned out to be carb icing which I have now experienced in both worlds. Thanks for that touch of realism

Mike

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

It also appears that the chances of failures might increase should you not do the preflight. So, it is possible that you don't see anything in preflight, but would have something breaking if you didn't do it. Not sure though, I don't remember whether this was ever confirmed to be the case.

-Esa

avduarri
Senior Airman

Post by avduarri »

I own A2A aircraft since FSX. I had my first issue this year, before taxing I tested the brakes after applying some thrust and realised that the brakes were worn out. Shutted down the engine and fixed the brakes problem in the manteinance hangar.
My second issue was this year too, a right flap failure during flight (during the pre-flight inspection all was ok, so the failure caught me for surprise).
All the other problems I had during past years were detected and fixed during the pre-flight inspection.

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Sounds like you are a great sim pilot looking after your aircraft. But yes we do have a certain amount of randomness in built for random failures, however we made sure it is rare and totally random for everyone, You could use the software for years without encountering a random failure whilst your friend could come a across several just as in real life.

thanks,
Lewis
I can attest to this:

I have flown Accusim planes for years, but only recently (a couple of weeks ago) I had water in the fuel for the very first time. This was in the 172. I always, always, always preflight, but a little water in one of the bottles snuck by me. The engine was running rough in a way that made me suspicious about contamination of the fuel. Indeed, a little water in the right tank. This happened to be in the same 172 that I've had much more trouble with - flying it from zero hours like all my other planes. Odd, but satisfying. I'm just glad I noticed it before taking off. :)
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

Roadburner426
Technical Sergeant

Post by Roadburner426 »

Personally I have come to the belief that the more religious you are about the preflight there is some algorithm in Accu-sim that makes bad things happen less frequently. I of course have no evidence of this except that after 200 hours in the Comanche the only random issue I have had is a bent propeller blade tip very early on. Other than that it is all just regular oil changes and maintenance with no random failures. So my line of thought is maybe we get bonus points for being proper pilots, but who knows.
S. Jordan
AM; United States Navy
FSX/P3Dc4 Hours: 3100 and counting! All A2A birds in the hangar except the 172.

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

Roadburner426 wrote:Personally I have come to the belief that the more religious you are about the preflight there is some algorithm in Accu-sim that makes bad things happen less frequently. I of course have no evidence of this except that after 200 hours in the Comanche the only random issue I have had is a bent propeller blade tip very early on. Other than that it is all just regular oil changes and maintenance with no random failures. So my line of thought is maybe we get bonus points for being proper pilots, but who knows.
I had an hypothesis about this too, but my current Cessna 172 gets the same preflight treatment as all my other planes (that is, proper and before every flight - even when only stopping for fuel). It has had about as many problems within 100 hours as almost all my other planes put together. Very fascinating. Love flying it. :-)
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180”