Prepar 3D C172 install fails due to VBScript access issue

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
dbd
Airman Basic

Prepar 3D C172 install fails due to VBScript access issue

Post by dbd »

Hi there,

sorry to barge in so close to the holidays with this problem.
Merry Christmas and happy holidays.

I recently installed Prepar 3D v4.4 on my Win 7 (SP1 ) machine and was hoping to install the A2A Accusim C-172 add-on which I purchased and downloaded this afternoon.

However once I select an install path and click 'Install' a small pop-up appears stating 'Could not access VBScript run time for custom action.'

A) Install to 'D:\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\A2A'
I had chosen to install P3D on my D: drive ( space issues ) and I therefore pointed the A2A installer to folders which I had created on the D: drive ( after reading the PDF that came with the zip file ).
After pressing 'Install' a small Windows warning box appears ( 'Could not access VBScript run time for custom action.' )
The installer freezes and does not responds to any mouse-clicks.

B) Install to 'C:' as per the Installer's own suggested path 'C:\Users\<myname>\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\A2A\'
After pressing 'Install' a small Windows warning box appears ( 'Could not access VBScript run time for custom action.' ).
After acknowledgement ( clicking 'OK' ) another A2A installer window appears reporting:
'Installation of the Accu-Sim C172 Trainer ended prematurely because of an error. Your system has not been modified'.
I was advised that I could seek tech-support here ( at this forum ).

Ticking the checkbox 'Show installation log', brings up NotePad with the most recent debug/error messages captured in the process.

I had disabled everything on my AV-SW ( Panda dome ).

Your C-172 trainer sounds like a great product and I look forward to using it. Thank You.

Regards

dbd

P.S:
I had some small .jpg snippets from my screen prepared to include as attachments but the forum platform reports that the board attachment quota has been reached...no luck there.
I managed to include the error/debug diagnostic messages below ( or so I think! )
I am mostly a Linux person, so I'd rather not poke around my Win 7 installation without proper guidance and technical advice.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Prepar 3D C172 install fails due to VBScript access issu

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi dbd - welcome to the A2A forums.

Sorry to hear you've been unable to install. This is the first time we've received a report of this specific error message, but I just did a bit of research and it seems it could be caused by the VBScript engine not being currently registered on your PC. (The installer uses some VBScript actions to check the P3D add-ons.cfg files, etc.)

Please can you try re-registering the vBSScript engine as follows.
  1. Open the Command Prompt as administrator (you can access the command prompt by typing "cmd" in the search box, then right click the cmd.exe icon to run as administrator).
  2. Type cd %windir%\syswow64 into the Command Prompt and hit Enter.
  3. Type regsvr32 vbscript.dll into the Command Prompt and hit Enter.
  4. Type regsvr32 jscript.dll into the Command Prompt and hit Enter.
I'm afraid I can't guarantee that this will work, but if not hopefully we can find another solution.

Thanks and Merry Christmas to you too! :)
Nick

P.S. Direct attachments to the forum aren't possible; instead, please see this topic for tips on attaching images.

dbd
Airman Basic

Post by dbd »

Hi there Nick,
and thanks for your prompt reply.
I ran the commands as per your directions ( ran CommandPrompt as admin ) to register 'vbscript.dll' and 'jscript.dll'.

Both operations looked like they were executed successfully ( I got 'DllRegisterServer in vbscript.dll succeeded.' for both )

No change in the A2A installer's 'Could not access VBScript run time for custom action.' message, the add-on it still won't install.

Thank you for your feedback

Regards

dbd

P.S:
I looked up the method on how to insert *.jpg images into posts on this board.
However I held off inserting the images I took, since you are now aware of the problem and I don't want to clutter up the message board with pictures containing redundant info.
Nevertheless if there is anything/any info you want from me towards diagnosing this issue, let me know and I'll include it as another reply.
Also although I would like to try on the add-on as soon as possible, I understand that folks may have other priorities in the coming days so I can definitely wait until after the holidays...as long it is not forgotten.
Many thanks once more!

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi dbd,

Thank you for trying that anyway. Sounds like a bit more research is called for here, and as you say, with it being the Christmas holidays I'm likely to receive some dark looks from family if I spend too long on the laptop. :)

However, I'll send you a private message in just a moment with a link to a different version of the installer you can try. This 'basic UI' version has been able to run successfully on the Win 7 installation of a few other customers who have seen a similar error message relating to VB scripts. Although I can't be certain it will work in your case, if it doesn't we'll find some other solution.

Best regards,
Nick

dbd
Airman Basic

Post by dbd »

Hi Nick,

I've got your private message.
I'll try the new link and installer.
Enjoy the holidays that's more important! and don't worry....we'll sort something out after the holidays.
Thank you for your replies anyway!

dbd

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Okay, thanks dbd. Please drop us a line once you've tried the other installer.

Kind regards,
Nick

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”