Cannot get close to the instruments/dash

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
Turbine777
Airman

Cannot get close to the instruments/dash

Post by Turbine777 »

I'm trying to set some views close to the instruments and radio stack using Chaseplane. When I go up or down, side to side or behind me I have free movement without issue, but when I move forward I seem to leave the aircraft and enter an external view.
Not sure if it's an easy fix on my end, an issue with Chaseplane or what. Hard to explain in words so I put together a quick video. Not sure how to link it as a player but here's the link (it's unlisted, for now).

I'm an on again, off again simmer and although I can't remember having this issue before, I have found some of my old screenshots of close ups of the instrument panel from angles that wouldn't have been done with simple zooming.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Cannot get close to the instruments/dash

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

you will want to go to Chaseplane for Chaseplane support.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Turbine777
Airman

Post by Turbine777 »

I'm so tired of the simming community for support. You especially surprised me last time and now. I posted this to him as well and like you he says it's the other. Me personally it looks like like an a2a issue but will have to copy what was said when I get home behind my comp. Or just stop bothering coming here for support or your products.

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

Turbine777: Just for grins, can you reproduce the problem with ChasePlane uninstalled?

Hook

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

I just tried to reproduce the issue and couldn't. I do not have ChasePlane.

I have the FSX version of the C172 installed in Prepar3D version 2.5. I remember having at least one sound issue prior to running the latest A2A update. This was fixed after the update.

I use TrackIR, and was able to move right up to the panel without problems. I used control-backspace to move my viewpoint forward (with TrackIR paused) and was able to move through the windscreen to the front of the plane. ChasePlane should have been able to do the same thing assuming they're using similar eyepoint movements.

It looks like your base viewpoint changes from virtual cockpit to cockpit as you move forward, although I couldn't see the instrument panel when I used the cockpit view (press Shift-A to get there normally). Is there any chance you had the Cockpit view active when you were trying to move your viewpoint?

The only thing I can think of at the moment is to make sure you've run the latest A2A updater.

Hook

Turbine777
Airman

Post by Turbine777 »

Thanks, Hook.

Someone actually did reproduce this with moving the camera with EZCA, and also only on the A2A 172. I haven't used Track IR in ages, but do remember there was a point to which you set limits. I could have sworn these limits, or VC boundaries were written to a file somewhere but have sifted through all the normally expected places. All camera addons read certain coordinates from somewhere (thought it was the aircraft cfg). My install of p3d is fairly fresh and the 172 is the latest package from the new store and updated. I don't remember having this issue back when I used EZCA so am hoping the person experiencing the same "out of cockpit launch" finds the issue. My current p3d install has never had ezca installed by the way so there's something that it's tripping on. Unfortunately Keven also says it's not his product. I can care less who's products issue it is, but it would be nice if each developer would give an idea where to look for possible answers.

I'm just getting in but will try to map my normal movement cameras around again (I don't have the keyboard shortcuts you do since I blank them all out after fresh installs) and see if panning in that way does the same thing. I hadn't thought of that until you mentioned it, thanks.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello Dan,

For what it's worth I use EZdok (the latest version - whatever number that is) with the C172 is P3Dv4 (and FSX) without ever having seen this issue. I'm afraid I've not used Chaseplane yet, but can you 'copy' whichever profile you use successfully for say the A2A 182, and apply it to the 172?

Thanks,
Nick

Turbine777
Airman

Post by Turbine777 »

Thanks, Nick.
Good idea. I can't find any profiles for chaseplane like I had with ezca. Nothing in apps/roaming (that I see), nothing in normal directory or p3d addons folder in my documents. I asked the question and waiting for reply. Someone said it's now fully cloud based but that doesn't sound right. Maybe for backups.

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

I could have sworn these limits, or VC boundaries were written to a file somewhere but have sifted through all the normally expected places.
I would suspect the model file in that case. I checked the two C-172 interior model files with RADitor and nothing looks amiss. The bounding boxes and radius looked to be the same on both. They were similar enough to the model files for the Cherokee and Piper Cub that I don't think that's the problem.

Something isn't playing right between the C-172 and ChasePlane for some reason. If you wiped the sim keyboard shortcuts, is is possible that you've also done something similar with ChasePlane's controls?

The original download of an aircraft will not be the newest version. You still have to run the updater. You may have already done this, but I'm throwing it out there for completeness.

Hook

Turbine777
Airman

Post by Turbine777 »

When I said; "the latest package from the new store and updated" I meant it was a fresh download from the store and I later updated it with it's updater. Glad to see this implementation.

As for the control wiping, no, it's just a habit (good habit) that I've had for decades in clearing all of keyboard shortcuts to keep conflicts from happening. It only would effect ezca from working as expected since it relies on keyboard commands be set for it switching views. I do this process way before installing any addons anyway. It's getting p3d/fsx, etc, to what I consider it's zero state. Important for when I was a pit builder but still a must.

Anywho, I wasn't able to do anything yet tonight and most likely won't until tomorrow night. Unexpected (and unwelcomed) company invited themselves over my house... I escaped for a few moments.

I'll have to look at my model files. I can't imagine they would differ from yours but then again, I'm the one having the issue so maybe something changed some value. I personally haven't touched any files unless I'm getting a gauge to work in the panel.cfg but haven't done that since my first rxp gauge many moons ago. Chaseplane has incredibly little to it's settings. What it's doing on it's own though is still currently a mystery. I'll have to read through all these good comments tomorrow when I'm loaded up and to do as mentioned earlier in this thread.

Thanks again.

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

As for the control wiping, no, it's just a habit (good habit)...
When a developer sees something like that, he's going to wonder what else you've done. Many people will set up a few custom commands, and that's normal. Wiping the entire control schema is somewhat extreme, although I know people who do it. But if you break it, you own both pieces.

I prefer to keep my system as stock as possible. That way I know that something I changed didn't break things. That doesn't mean I don't make changes, it just means that when I do I understand that I'm on my own. It also means that when I'm trying to talk someone through diagnosing a problem I can give them the correct commands to use and hopefully we're both on the same page.

You don't have to restore all the keyboard shortcuts. Just set up one for eyepoint forward and another for eyepoint backward. If you've also wiped the hat switch to look around, you might want to restore that temporarily. Or use mouse look.

Try it first with ChasePlane running, and if it still happens try it again with ChasePlane disabled or removed. We're trying to eliminate ChasePlane as the culprit.

Ideally someone in A2A, either developers or beta testers, will test the 172 with ChasePlane. Nick reports EZdok working, for example. It is less likely that the ChasePlane devs will test the 172. But even one other user testing the 172 can verify that the problem always happens or there's some problem with your setup.

Sometimes you have to be your own support. At least they didn't tell you to update your video driver. :)

Hook

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Turbine777 wrote:I'm so tired of the simming community for support. You especially surprised me last time and now. I posted this to him as well and like you he says it's the other. Me personally it looks like like an a2a issue but will have to copy what was said when I get home behind my comp. Or just stop bothering coming here for support or your products.
I'm sorry you feel this way, but you mentioned chaseplane having issues doing chaseplane things that are not the default base sim. I don't work for Chaseplane so cannot provide support for that product.

To do what you want to do in default sim is to zoom in using - and +

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Turbine777
Airman

Post by Turbine777 »

Seriously?
"To do what you want to do in default sim is to zoom in using - and +"?
How is it humanly possible that you got that from anything I typed or show in the video?

It has absolutely nothing to do with what I want to do. The video the shows the issue quite clearly. I bought the 172 ages ago. In the last couple of weeks I bought both the 182 and the Piper 250. I've used them briefly and in being able to get close the dash in the others (and all the other payware aircraft I have) I started to wonder why I cannot do such a simple thing in the 172.

You know what, forget my topic. Ban me from your forum and quit your idiocy with me. No idea why you always must be a dick to me. I never did a damn thing to deserve your condescending smugness. My purchases were very resent and due to your attitude in ALL my attempts at support here I am now going to seek a refund. If I cannot get one outright, I will simple dispute with my bank since as stated, I just the other two.

Now excuse me while I go zoom in and out and play pilot...

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

:roll:

Just read through every post here between you and Lewis and everything has been cordial. I can see a very clear pattern where you go on the attack in response to some initial suggestions while touting your superior knowledge of computers and your certifications. If you had all the answers, then why must you seek help? If you reject the advice you are given and won't have a discussion like a human being, that's too bad. Lewis and the team here are great.

Part of the debugging and troubleshooting process requires going through the steps provided by your support team. Anyone with experience knows this. Patience and perseverance is required here and generally rewarded with results.

Exmaples of responses Lewis has made to your previous posts.
"haha awesome, and great creative work 8)"
or

"Hello,

I wouldn't blame windows 10 itself as its a pretty good system OS, I've used it on all my systems for a good while now and would not go back to Win7. It could however have been a update corruption as you mention and I'd put my money more in this area.

thanks,
Lewis"

and more...

Yeah Lewis really sounds like he has a chip on his shoulder...
:roll:
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Turbine777
Airman

Post by Turbine777 »

I have never "touting my superior knowledge". If anything, and I know the post you're referring to it was in defense.

The post you are referring to is a perfect example of how outrageously great his support is. I listed everything, long post perhaps, but in using forums since the 90's and being in support myself I know there is no such thing as TLDR when wanting to be thorough. He read a few words then proceeded to ask things I already answered.

Here I took the time to show it as simple as could be in a video. It clearly shows the issues and I'm told how to use flight sims zoom function. That's not a "suggestion". Play it that way if you wish.

If you want to fight with me, take it to email. Standing on what you think on your high horse and trying to bash me is comical and serves no one.

I've been a member of this forum since 2008, and user of A2A products since 3d lights first was introduced. In my years of forum use I've spent tens of thousands of hours helping people. 12 youtube channels, mostly tutorials. Odd that in the ten years of being a member of this forum I only had 17 posts prior to this thread, yet I've been here a few trillion times. Luckily I too can read and have never posted a question that was asked. I don't enjoy wasting others time and never try their patience. If you have been posting questions on forums in the last 20 years I can promise that I've answered many of those questions.

Now after my last paragraph I can see you thinking it's me showing my superior knowledge, but it's the furthest thing from the truth. I am merely explaining who I am to someone that, like the last time, putting me on the defensive.

PS. For Nick. Thanks you by the way since 99% of the time that I didn't open a thread/topic was because, more often than not, it was you that answered my questions.

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”