Magneto switching issues. (Custom Panel)

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
SirGr3mlin
Airman

Re: Magneto switching issues. (Custom Panel)

Post by SirGr3mlin »

Hi nick.
I have tried many different methods including the one you are suggesting with on litte diffences.
See below.
Button 1: OFF = simconnect "magneto off"
Button 2: R = simconnect "magneto right"
Button 3: L = simconnect "magneto left"
Button 4: BOTH = simconnect "magneto both"
Button 5: START = Input Configurator "Magneto Inc."

The result was
OFF - BOTH perfect.
BOTH - START : turns to start perfectly.
START release back to BOTH engine continued to crank until the starter quit or the battery.

Chris

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Chris,

One thing that's just occurred to me is for you to check the basic operation of the Input Configurator in your system. It will only allow you to set hardware functions if enable controller(s) is ticked in the P3D options (under 'other').

For example, can you confirm that something simple like the "Headphones" functions works as expected?
SirGr3mlin wrote:START release back to BOTH engine continued to crank until the starter quit or the battery.
This sounds exactly like what happens if we just use the FSUIPC settings and that input configurator "Magneto Inc." setting isn't present.

Thanks,
Nick

P.S. Please can you just confirm/remind me if you're using P3D (and which version) or FSX? :)

SirGr3mlin
Airman

Post by SirGr3mlin »

Nick - A2A wrote:One thing that's just occurred to me is for you to check the basic operation of the Input Configurator in your system. It will only allow you to set hardware functions if enable controller(s) is ticked in the P3D options (under 'other').
I can confirm that the Enable Controller(s) is ticked in P3D.
Nick - A2A wrote:This sounds exactly like what happens if we just use the FSUIPC settings and that input configurator "Magneto Inc." setting isn't present.
I can confirm that the Input Configurator binding is working as there is no other way it would go from "BOTH" to "START" without it.
also i just tested it, every time i move my keyswitch "BOTH" to "START" it increases the SIM ignition position 1 turn. and thats with the software to do the rest of the panel closed.
Nick - A2A wrote:P.S. Please can you just confirm/remind me if you're using P3D (and which version) or FSX? :)
P3Dv4

Ive moved back to my 5 button test board.
Button config is as follows.

BUTTON 1 : Simconnect event_id:MAGNETO_OFF
BUTTON 2 : Simconnect event_id:MAGNETO_RIGHT
BUTTON 3 : Simconnect event_id:MAGNETO_LEFT
BUTTON 4 : Simconnect event_id:MAGNETO_BOTH
BUTTON 5 : Input Configurator - Magneto Inc.

and i have configured exactly the same way you have suggested to make sure it wasnt a hardward issue.
I can flick between OFF ~ BOTH by pressing the button that is associated with the MAGNETO Position. then if i press the button bound to "Magneto Inc." in the input configurator, the ignition will move to 'START', if the engine fails to start the ignition is held in 'START' pressing the button associated with 'BOTH' does nothing. pressing the button associated with 'LEFT' will move the ignition to 'BOTH' which then throws the ignition out completely.
which i can only reset by using my mouse to move it in SIM.

Thanks
Chris

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Chris,

My apologies - I think I've finally worked out why I'm able to program the magneto switch successfully in this way and you're not. It's because I have a newer version of the Accu-Sim DLL that's part of the V35B Bonanza installation.

A forthcoming feature update for the C172 will also include the latest Accu-Sim DLL. If you subscribe to this topic, you should receive email notification of any new updates. :wink:

Best regards,
Nick

SirGr3mlin
Airman

Post by SirGr3mlin »

Nick - A2A wrote:Hi Chris,

My apologies - I think I've finally worked out why I'm able to program the magneto switch successfully in this way and you're not. It's because I have a newer version of the Accu-Sim DLL that's part of the V35B Bonanza installation.

A forthcoming feature update for the C172 will also include the latest Accu-Sim DLL. If you subscribe to this topic, you should receive email notification of any new updates. :wink:

Best regards,
Nick
Morning, AAAaaaaaaaaa, hahaha, no need to apologize, at least we worked it out! ;-) hehehe, ok sweet i'll sub to that topic. thanks for all your help Nick.
wait does this mean we need to own the V35B Bonanza to be able to update?

Chris

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks Chris,

No - you won't need to own the Bonanza in order to apply the forthcoming C172 update.

Cheers,
Nick

SirGr3mlin
Airman

Post by SirGr3mlin »

Nick - A2A wrote:Thanks Chris,

No - you won't need to own the Bonanza in order to apply the forthcoming C172 update.

Cheers,
Nick
Thanks Nick, i see there was an update recently. however the recommended method of updating isnt present on my install.
my shortcuts are 1 to the input configurator and 1 to a PDF.
I havent had coffee yet so maybe im missing something.

Chris

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Chris,

If you're using Prepar3D v4, sounds like you're still using the old installer for the 172. We updated our P3Dv4 installers and web store back in May. Please check out the information in this pinned announcement which tells you how to transfer your account and get hold of the current installers.

Alternatively, if you purchased from a third-party store, just re-download from your account there.

Thanks,
Nick

TBryson2
Staff Sergeant

Post by TBryson2 »

Nick, thank you for your inputs! I was (eventually) able to set them up as described but ran into one issue that others may face.

For me the input configurator sees my switch panel as "joystick 3" when in fact on my system it is "joystick 1". (FSUIPC sees it as ”joystick 4”) I had to go into the correct "axisConfig.cfg" file for the 172 and modify the parameter to read Magneto_Inc. joystick:1:button:19 instead of Magneto_Inc. joystick:3:button:19

I had this same issue configuring the R and L landing lights on the Comanche with my switch panel and that is how I knew how to resolve it

Now my 172 starter switch is working properly! Can't wait to fix my Comanche, and my Cherokee!

Thank you!

Oh! And "THANK YOU" for Listening to "us" on the forum about this issue! "We" appreciate it when we mention an issue and it eventually gets resolved!

TB2
TB2
Ocala Flight Sim Club
United States Marine Corps

SirGr3mlin
Airman

Post by SirGr3mlin »

Nick - A2A wrote:Hi Chris,

If you're using Prepar3D v4, sounds like you're still using the old installer for the 172. We updated our P3Dv4 installers and web store back in May. Please check out the information in this pinned announcement which tells you how to transfer your account and get hold of the current installers.

Alternatively, if you purchased from a third-party store, just re-download from your account there.

Thanks,
Nick
Thanks for the info, its been pretty busy, but i managed to get it done this weekend, and programmed up everything and it is now working well.
i did have another question though. these fuses, do they actually do anything? i was looking at putting the fuses onto my panel as well.

alioth
Senior Airman

Post by alioth »

TBryson2 wrote: Can't wait to fix my Comanche, and my Cherokee!
The Comanche works in the same way. You can use the standard variables for Off-Right-Left-Both and use a Lvar or input configurator for Start button.

It can be done in other ways:
- Rotary switch with resistors between pins, and use only one analog input for the whole rotary switch. You will have to write a small lua script to make it work. But you only need one pin (leobodnar, arduino or whatever).

- Even better, use a real switch. Mounting some resistors between terminals you get to work as a rotary switch. And you read the analog input and send the commands with the lua script.

I am using the last method. Nothing compares with the real thing! and you can find ignition swtiches in ebay cheap sometimes, with patiente.

This is an old vid, but in the begining you can see the ignition swtich I am using:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32eJJOIoW40&t=319s

i did have another question though. these fuses, do they actually do anything? i was looking at putting the fuses onto my panel as well.
The circuit breakers are functional. This is a GREAT feature in the a2a planes I like a lot.
In the comanche they are pull-push type. I dont have the C172, but I supose they are only push type, like you usually see in real C172.
I built a circuit breaker panel to my home cockpit too. I made them only-push type for the cockpit, like yours:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7u3pdHTc8I&t=42s

Arturo.

SirGr3mlin
Airman

Post by SirGr3mlin »

alioth wrote:
TBryson2 wrote: Can't wait to fix my Comanche, and my Cherokee!
The Comanche works in the same way. You can use the standard variables for Off-Right-Left-Both and use a Lvar or input configurator for Start button.

It can be done in other ways:
- Rotary switch with resistors between pins, and use only one analog input for the whole rotary switch. You will have to write a small lua script to make it work. But you only need one pin (leobodnar, arduino or whatever).

- Even better, use a real switch. Mounting some resistors between terminals you get to work as a rotary switch. And you read the analog input and send the commands with the lua script.

I am using the last method. Nothing compares with the real thing! and you can find ignition swtiches in ebay cheap sometimes, with patiente.

This is an old vid, but in the begining you can see the ignition swtich I am using:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32eJJOIoW40&t=319s
All the prices for the 5 pos keyswitches with spring return i came across seemed to be $150+. In the end i made my own using a key cam, a bolt and nuts, a 5 pos rotary switch and a bit of box section alu. In total cost about $15.
Used resistors and one analog input connected to a teensy, in the teenzy im simply converting then anolog values into button presses.
The circuit breakers are functional. This is a GREAT feature in the a2a planes I like a lot.
In the comanche they are pull-push type. I dont have the C172, but I supose they are only push type, like you usually see in real C172.
I built a circuit breaker panel to my home cockpit too. I made them only-push type for the cockpit, like yours:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7u3pdHTc8I&t=42s
So what did you use to interface these into the sim? How have you made it so when the fuse pops and you reset it on your panel. It resets it in sim?

alioth
Senior Airman

Post by alioth »

All the prices for the 5 pos keyswitches with spring return i came across seemed to be $150+
I have two of them, and both were like 25€ each one. It is a question of patiente..
So what did you use to interface these into the sim? How have you made it so when the fuse pops and you reset it on your panel. It resets it in sim?
Each circuit breaker has a solenoid to trigger the breaker, and a reed sensor with a magnet used to know the actual position of the circuit breaker.
When I push the circuit breaker, arduino reads it, send the data to a lua script by serial communication and the lua script writes the appropriate Lvar in the sim.
Each circuit breaker in the sim has its own Lvar that can be written to pull or push de thing.

How are you interfacing the teensy with the sim? lua sccripts? link2fs? any software?

Arturo.

SirGr3mlin
Airman

Post by SirGr3mlin »

alioth wrote:I have two of them, and both were like 25€ each one. It is a question of patiente..
Define patient? i was searching around for a good 6 months before i decided it would be quicker and a load cheaper to just make one.
see because of my location it seems shipping always cost double the buy price.
Im really happy with how it turned out. its a 5 position keyswitch with the 5th position having a spring return.
plus we have been working on this panel with cost in mind. trying to keep it as low as possible so people that have a young family and cant really afford to drop a few hundred on a panel.
I think in totally the setup as cost about $40 (24.15€) i would have to check. but yeah.
Each circuit breaker has a solenoid to trigger the breaker, and a reed sensor with a magnet used to know the actual position of the circuit breaker.
When I push the circuit breaker, arduino reads it, send the data to a lua script by serial communication and the lua script writes the appropriate Lvar in the sim.
Each circuit breaker in the sim has its own Lvar that can be written to pull or push de thing.

How are you interfacing the teensy with the sim? lua sccripts? link2fs? any software?
I did watch the video, pretty neat mate!
At the moment, i wrote a small script that runs on the sim pc, it then controls everything via Simconnect. and the Teensy is setup as a joystick atm.
when i get a chance and some time off work.. i break the project out again and have a look at that Lvar stuff.

SirGr3mlin
Airman

Post by SirGr3mlin »

Gidday Nick,
So as you suggested i updated and it worked! then i got really busy at work. since then i have found that it no longer works.
I have updated to the latest model, re-programmed the inputs and tested. however it doesnt work.
Is there anything you can suggest?

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”