Help with starting the 172

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
irishlad200000
Airman

Help with starting the 172

Post by irishlad200000 »

Hi

I have had this sim for some time now and enjoy it! I am a current Student Pilot on the 172 in real life. I have had severe issues starting this aircraft from cold in the sim. I have preflight completed, Fuel shutoff on, tank on both, throttle cracked 1/4 inch and mixture at cuttoff. When I crank it over I advance the mixture as I would in real life and nothing! I know its not the real thing, but can some kind person please advise me on the best actions to start it within the sim from cold!

Thanks

Gary

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Re: Help with starting the 172

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi Gary,

Congratulations on taking the course to fly the real thing as a start! I would advise you to read the A2A C 172 manual, it's a great read about the model, how to operate it properly and with very interesting historical data. That "Fuel shutoff on" you mentioned, which is the push rod right above the fuel selector - should be full in. If it is pulled out, it cuts the fuel flow to the engine. When I start my A2A C172, I crack the throttle first - 19 to 23% in the Sim (FSX in my case), mixture is full out. I start the fuel pump, mixture full in for 4 to 5 seconds ( on cold engine) then mixture full out again and stop fuel pump. I run the engine starter and when it catches up, I slowly advance the mixture to full. (then I lean for ground operations ;) )
Hope this was helpful.

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

irishlad200000
Airman

Post by irishlad200000 »

Cheers! Our little club field is very busy and the few 172’s get a lot of use! So a cold start is a new thing for me lol! Will get reading and practicing in the sim!

I have to say even the small noises are realistic! Flying with a warthog system and now using left two fingers and thumb to control as I do in the real one and it’s great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

irishlad200000
Airman

Post by irishlad200000 »

Still having issues starting following all the checks and advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi,

Did you check the "Shift+7" maintenance hangar to see if the plane is fit for flight or whether the engine is not flooded?
Also you may check if you can start the engine with Ctrl+E, this is the quick engine start in FSX. This last is to ensure that the sim and and the A2A model installation are fine.

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”