No DME for some VOR/DME only

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
aircom
Airman

No DME for some VOR/DME only

Post by aircom »

Hi,

I have a strange issue here. I was flying (P3D 4.3) with the C172 over KSTS (orbx scenery), tuned to STS VOR. VOR is working fine with its needle moving, but on the DME at the bottom of the stack, after tuning the same VOR frequency (113.0), no distance is displayed. Same for a nearby VOR/DME at the south. I checked with another default airplane (mooney bravo) and the DME works fine.
So I changed to another part of the world (my home) at CYUL and tuned the St-Jean VOR/DME 115.8. This time it was working fine and I got a distance. Back to STS: no distance.

Any idea?
Thanks

aircom
Airman

Re: No DME for some VOR/DME only

Post by aircom »

Really? Nobody?

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi,

I saw your post but did not want to comment originally, since I am not using P3D yet. Have you tried the RMT setting on DME instead of FREQ. frequency? This way, it will read the active frequency from NAV 1 unit - showing distance, ground speed and time remaining.
Check this manual for BendixKing avionics, A2A have modeled them accurately, so real manuals can be referenced.

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

aircom
Airman

Post by aircom »

LZ-WIL wrote: I saw your post but did not want to comment originally, since I am not using P3D yet. Have you tried the RMT setting on DME instead of FREQ. frequency? This way, it will read the active frequency from NAV 1 unit - showing distance, ground speed and time remaining.
Check this manual for BendixKing avionics, A2A have modeled them accurately, so real manuals can be referenced.
Thanks a lot Will. I was pretty sure I had tried that but it seems not because it now works in RMT mode.
So, I don't understand the difference: why does it work when the frequency is taken from the VOR channel but no luck when the frequency is tuned directly on the DME equipment? Seems like the manual doesn't give any answer about it.

Nick

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi Nick,

Cannot give you an answer on that one. I will test it, in FSX with this VOR and some other too. Might be a bug, that needs to be addressed in future updates. :wink:

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Nick,

Apologies for not responding to your post sooner.

Not sure it counts as a 'bug' as such, but the custom coding which was used to model the FREQ mode in the KN 62A is sensitive to how the aircraft is loaded. There's some quite lengthy discussion of issues with FREQ mode in this topic. As Great Ozzie demonstrated in the thread, allowing FSX flight planner to relocate the aircraft is one factor which will cause FREQ mode to be inoperable. I understand that this issue occurs because the FSX/P3D software development kit doesn't allow the full DME functionality to be accessed for each navaid in the sim. The solution in those cases where the range can't be read, would be to revert to the default FSX/P3D remote ('RMT') mode.

In other words, the odd navaid which can't be tuned in 'FREQ' mode is unfortunately a limitation when trying to simulate the DME more accurately than the basic FSX/P3D functionality allows.

Thanks,
Nick

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi Nick - A2A,

I did not know, this issues was caused by the sim itself, like you said a limitation. Similar to why strobe lights are seen from within the cockpit at certain angles or where you cannot save an aircraft on jacks. Thank you for this update and the clarification!

Cheerz,
Will

aircom
Airman

Post by aircom »

Nick - A2A wrote:Hi Nick,
Not sure it counts as a 'bug' as such, but the custom coding which was used to model the FREQ mode in the KN 62A is sensitive to how the aircraft is loaded. There's some quite lengthy discussion of issues with FREQ mode in this topic. As Great Ozzie demonstrated in the thread, allowing FSX flight planner to relocate the aircraft is one factor which will cause FREQ mode to be inoperable. I understand that this issue occurs because the FSX/P3D software development kit doesn't allow the full DME functionality to be accessed for each navaid in the sim. The solution in those cases where the range can't be read, would be to revert to the default FSX/P3D remote ('RMT') mode.
ok, got this limitation. Note however that I load the 172 after relocating to a scenery.

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”