Livery N739EZ Crashes My FSX

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
JCHPA32
Airman First Class

Livery N739EZ Crashes My FSX

Post by JCHPA32 »

I really like this livery, but after installing it, every time I try to select it, I get a fatal error in FSX. I have checked everything and can't figure out why. The only thing I can see is that the texture DDS files seem much larger than the other repaints I have installed. Could that be an issue?
JCH

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Livery N739EZ Crashes My FSX

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Its probably an issue with the cfg part of the livery so you might wanna post that and the original to compare.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

JCHPA32
Airman First Class

Post by JCHPA32 »

Lewis,
This is the contents of the livery CFG for N739EZ:

[fltsim]

fallback.1=..\texture

And this is contents of the CFG for the original package livery from A2A:

[fltsim]

fallback.1=..\texture
fallback.2=..\..\..\..\Scenery\Global\texture
fallback.3=..\..\..\..\..\..\Scenery\Global\texture

However, replacing the CFG file did not solve the problem.
JCH

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

I think what Lewis meant was the aircraft.cfg not the texture.cfg. The entry for that particular repaint might be the culprit
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Yes, the repaint cfg entry compared to the normal entry is where you will be wanting to look

thanks,
Lewis

JCHPA32
Airman First Class

Post by JCHPA32 »

Well, I got the paint for EZ to work, by copying another paint's folder and dropping EZ's textures into it. Now, I am having the same problem witth a paint I had done for the Cherokee 180. It worked once after I did the same thing, flew it, and now it won't load again either, keeps crashing FSX with a fatal error (and of course the error report tells me nothing useful). The only difference I can see through all of this is that the textures for these repaints seem much larger than the usual, 65.5 KB vs. 16.3 to 21 KB for the others. Could the texture just be too big for the sim?
JCH

JCHPA32
Airman First Class

Post by JCHPA32 »

Update, it seems that is the problem, as I found two other recently installed paints that I flew once, and now won't load, and both have a t.dds file that is 65.5 KB in size. Is there some FSX.cfg entry I can change that will allow the sim to use files that size, or am I just S.O.L.?

speedy70
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by speedy70 »

Copy the aircraft.cfg file so we can see it.

It is obviously an incorrect entry by you somewhere and will be easy to correct.

Cheers Chris

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

The texture size is not the problem
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello JCH,

Yes, if you can paste the contents of your edited "aircraft.cfg" file here, we should be able to help. The size of texture files can vary depending on the compression algorithm used, but it shouldn't be necessary to make any changes to the FSX.cfg to enable less lossy texture formats.

Thanks,
Nick

JCHPA32
Airman First Class

Post by JCHPA32 »

I know you all are here to help me, and thank you. Not to be argumentative at all, but I have to say that I do believe the texture size was the problem. The paint I had done for the Cherokee was re-done by the artist and saved as a smaller t.dds file, and now works perfectly. No loading issues at all. The other paints I installed that had large t.dds files would not work, even after checking the CFG line by line, and I have deleted them.
The paint causing the original problem and my post, N739EZ, worked once, as I mentioned in a previous post, then would never load again. It had a large t.dds file.
I am running an old system as I cannot afford to upgrade. I run FSX on a AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ 2.2GHZ with 2GB RAM on Microsoft Windows XP, 32-bit (Service Pack 3), DirectX 9.0c, using a GeForce 9500 GT card. I am sure this is probably responsible for my issues.
I do appreciate the replies and help.
JCH

ebo
Master Sergeant

Post by ebo »

I actually do all my paintd with the uncompressed dds files to preserve sharpness. I was not aware that this can cause crashes. Did you check your entry in the FSX.cfg Textures = 4096?

This might cause this issue as these paints are done in hi res, ie. 4096.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G950F mit Tapatalk
Regards
Eberhard Haberkorn

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

ebo wrote:I actually do all my paintd with the uncompressed dds files to preserve sharpness. I was not aware that this can cause crashes. Did you check your entry in the FSX.cfg Textures = 4096?

This might cause this issue as these paints are done in hi res, ie. 4096.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G950F mit Tapatalk
On a medium system that doesn’t cause crashes either. At least not for me. I was recently playing around with the max texture load resolution in FSX.cfg to avoid OOM in Orbx FTX Germany (quite unsuccessful btw.) and I flew with lots of your repaints and never had a crash or was unable to load the planes.

Maybe it’s a different story on a low end old system though?

JCHPA32
Airman First Class

Post by JCHPA32 »

Yes, I did check that and my FSX.cfg is set to 4096. That has never been an issue with other hi res textures on my system before, they just load slowly.
It is funny, I had to ask for refunds on two different ALABEO products, because of exactly this same behavior. Install, load and fly once, then never load again. After a re-install, I could fly once more, then crash every time I selected that aircraft again. I will have to ask them what texture size is in those packages, as I never checked that.
JCH

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Sounds like you might have some core issues rather than a texture size issue. Otherwise the aircraft would not load once they would just not load at all. However we did ask to see the reapint cfg just in case but you still have not replied with it so we cannot even rule a simple typo out at this time.

thanks,
Lewis

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”