Cannot start the 172!!!

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
Rands78
Airman

Cannot start the 172!!!

Post by Rands78 »

Afternoon all.

I have been trying for the past 4 hours to start the 172. I have followed the checklists, updated the plane to latest version. I have researched previous posts around this issue, watched youtube videos, but I cannot start the plane.

I turn on Battery, crack the throttle, turn on the fuel pump, push in mixture 100%, note 3,5 GPM going through the gauge, leave it 3-5 seconds, turn off pump and set mixture idle. I turn the key and it turns over, but will not catch, no matter what I do. I have been through so many batteries its not true. I have tried pushing in the mixture immediately after key turn, I have left it for a second or two...nothing works.

There is nothing else I can see in the hanger that needs attention.

I just cannot start the engine. Unless its through the CTRL+E. Then it starts no issues.

The only time I have been able to start the plane through the procedures above is straight after a flight, and turn off all the plane, i then immediately followed the procedures above and managed to manually start the plane. So I know it can.....but that is the only time......

I have seen the simconnect suggestion, so downloaded and installed, I have deleted my default flight so the stock one loads in and then boot up the plane. I have ensured enough fuel, I have done everything I can see on the previous threads.

Anyone with any solutions???.

Thanks

Steve.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Cannot start the 172!!!

Post by Nick - A2A »

HI Steve and welcome to the forums.

Sounds like you're doing things correctly, but I have a couple of suggestions.

Firstly, try cracking the throttle open a bit wider, say to 10-15% and see if that helps. You also need to be ready to push the mixture lever in immediately when the engine catches.

The amount of time you'll need to prime for depends on the ambient temperature. Customers often seem to over-prime in warm conditions but around 3 seconds should be enough if you're starting from cold on a mild day. What is the OAT when you're attempting to start?

Finally, you describe seeing fuel flow on the gauge, so though you don't mention it, sounds like you've pushed in the fuel cut-off switch (this is something else that catches out a few folk). However, have you checked the fuel during the pre-flight inspection for contamination by water? If auto-start works, I'm guessing water in the fuel isn't the problem here, but it's probably worth checking all the same.

Thanks,
Nick

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello Steve and welcome to the forums.

Can you let us know which sim platform you are using please?

And how are you loading the aircraft into the sim, are you starting a new flight or loading into default aircraft and then changing aircraft?

What are the conditions you are trying to start in also?

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Rands78
Airman

Post by Rands78 »

Chaps.

Thanks for the replies.

I am using FSX SP2. I have tried loading both, saved cockpit states and default which I then load the aircraft from the start menu.

I have ensured the cutoff is pushed all the way in, correct I believe?

I have had the throttle at all points from 0-80%. Normally between 20-40.

There is fuel flow to 3.3 generally when the pump is on so I know it is pumping. The water in the fuel is the only thing I'm not sure about. I do the walk around and check the fuel which throws up a blue liquid in a glass. The actual button says water in the fuel but there is no description of whether this is contaminated or can be changed/fixed, or if it correct so I assume it is?

I'm completely stumped as to why this does not work.
I use activesky for the weather which in the UK at time of tests has been 16-20 degrees.

Steve.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks for the added info Steve. If you're using FSX, have you downloaded and installed the Accu-Sim update from here?

Thanks,
Nick

Rands78
Airman

Post by Rands78 »

Nick.

I'm not available to see if it is the same file that I used at present. However, I have updated the plane to version 2.1 something via the A2A website. I'll assume that is the same as in the link. Albeit it took 3 or so attempts to do as it could not find a particular file, which it then seemed to do on the 3rd go.

Steve

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Steve,

Yes, the latest FSX version of the 172 is 2.190 I believe. Your issue with updating sounds a bit odd though.

If the auto-start function is working, it suggests there's just a part of your starting technique that needs to be adjusted. When you prime, do you actually time the process or count the seconds? I ask, because we've seen at least one case where a user indicates that they prime for 3-5 seconds, then they post a video showing their startup attempt, and it turns out they're priming for more like 10 seconds!

Please can you also just clarify which aircraft is loaded with your default flight. (i.e. which aircraft is shown rotating in the 'free flight' screen when you first launch FSX?)

Cheers,
Nick

Rands78
Airman

Post by Rands78 »

Nick.

I have had my own saved default flights where it did not work, so deleted it and booted up to stock default where the handglider thing is loaded, then I change to the 172 and then load a flight. Same issue..I am definitely only using the pump for 3-5 seconds. Sometimes only 1 sometimes 10 or more. Just to see if it makes any difference. But alas it does not. When I'm back and able in can tell you what file it was it could not locate. My FSX is saved on D: and I unzipped the installer from c: to d: if that would make any difference, when first installing?

Rands78
Airman

Post by Rands78 »

Nick.

It was the client.wyc file it could not locate, until the 3rd attempt.

Thanks

Steve

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Okay, thanks Steve.

When the update finally ran, did it appear to successfully download new content and show you the list of fixes/features being installed?

Cheers,
Nick

Rands78
Airman

Post by Rands78 »

Just as an update, I tried again this morning and couldn't start.

Then auto start with CTRL+E. I then shut the engine down and manually started it with mixture idle and it caught and turndover, mixture full and it worked.
I did this three times in a row without fail.

This leads me to believe the fuel flow from the cold and dark is not enough or not getting through or something? Is 3.3GPH normal flow when using the fuel pump. Could there be a glitch where the sim is not recognising the fuel pump is on and priming the engine therefore not catching on engine start?

Steve.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Rands78 wrote:This leads me to believe the fuel flow from the cold and dark is not enough or not getting through or something? Is 3.3GPH normal flow when using the fuel pump. Could there be a glitch where the sim is not recognising the fuel pump is on and priming the engine therefore not catching on engine start?
I just ran a quick test with my setup Steve. No problem at all in starting from C&D; during priming the peak fuel flow was 3.6 GPH with the mixture level fully pushed in. Have you checked for full travel of your mixture control if you use a hardware axis for it?

Thanks,
Nick

Rands78
Airman

Post by Rands78 »

Nick.

I use flyinside VR, so tend to use the mouse for all buttons and mixture, as far as I can see it's fully in.

Rands78
Airman

Post by Rands78 »

From memory all the updater said was the plane is now fully up to date. I don't recall a list of fixes appearing on screen. But that doesn't mean it didn't. When I run the updater now it finds my 172 and just confirms it is the latest version.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Steve,

In order to check your 172 installation is definitely up to date, please can you delete the client.wyc file and then run the latest Accu-Sim update again. This will force it to perform an update from scratch.

Thanks,
Nick

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”