Disappointed

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
peregrine
Airman

Re: Disappointed

Post by peregrine »

OK....so I've just had a breakthrough.

I looked for the .DAT files in the users\myname\documents\a2a\ directory.........but it was empty.

So I went straight to documents\ondrive\a2a (or similar) and in there was an FSX folder.....strange because i TWICE downloaded the P3D version and installed it.

So, I deleted the .dat files and the FSX folder.

I started P3D and loaded default plane. then changed to the a2a 172. Then I RESET the plane. it started. and it keeps starting. And now there is a P3D folder in the documentsZonedrive folder.

Something was clearly incorrect with the install.

What I will add is that the battery voltage is strugling to get above 25 until the engine starts and the alternator comes alive.....then it shots u to 28. So I'm not convinced the battery is a) charged properly to start with and b) is just discharhging at a faster than expected rate.

I relly feel that some more prescriptive guidance is needed from the developers on install procedures, etc. I shouldn't have too waste time on folk tales abot the vagaires of C172s, real life or virtual. they are the experts and can best advise us.

I remain dissapointed about this aspect - but pleased I now seem to be getting what I paid for.

It's even more disappointing that having done all the had work in creating a great aircraft it is llet down at the final hurdle by a lack of testing on something as relatively straightforward as install procedures.

I will update this thread on coontinued success or otherwise as I use the aircraft.

Thanks again

Domiic

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

The battery voltage behavior is exactly like the real aircraft, and like real batteries and their charging systems for that matter. Nothing wrong there.

Not really sure what went wrong with the install. I use FSX, dropped right in for me first try. Unclear from your description as to what the paths are. It is normal for FSX to appear in the path in the my documents folder. There is no need to manually do anything for a proper installation under normal circumstances, so there are no missing directions.

For whatever reason your dat files got corrupted. The dat files are stored in the my documents folder for the user profile you are using to run the sim. There are occasional reports of corruption. Perhaps a simulator crash?

Good troubleshooting steps!
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello Dominic,

Thanks for the info above.

It sounds like you may have modified your default 'Documents' library in Windows to use a cloud-based Microsoft OneDrive folder by default, but your reply doesn't make this 100% clear.

In any case, please don't think that the presence of the "FSX" folder in "Documents\A2A" indicates an installation fault or lack of testing. Saving the *log.dat files within an FSX folder, even for P3D installations, ensures backwards-compatibility with existing products and allows those simmers who have both FSX and P3D installations to share their persistent aircraft 'state' across both platforms. The "P3D" folders are used by the input configurator tool.

Also, please note that it's not the installation process, but actually loading the aircraft in the sim which creates and writes to these *log.dat files. In other words, it's normal for them not to exist after the product has been installed for the first time. In your case, it's possible that an issue preventing you from writing to the OneDrive folder (perhaps an internet connection problem?) may be the culprit here.

Anyway, good to hear that you've finally got the 172 started. :)

Regards,
Nick

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

peregrine wrote:What I will add is that the battery voltage is strugling to get above 25 until the engine starts and the alternator comes alive.....then it shots u to 28. So I'm not convinced the battery is a) charged properly to start with and b) is just discharhging at a faster than expected rate.
Correct charging voltage is approximately 28.5 volts. With no generator charging the battery, a lead acid battery of 24 volts nominal shows approximately 25.2 volts at rest, closer to 26 volts when just quit from charging. It is correct that the voltage indication jumps higher when the generator starts powering the battery system.

Note that with your master switch on the battery is not in rest, but under light loading. This will slightly lower the observed voltage.

-Esa

piperninermikebravo
Airman Basic

Post by piperninermikebravo »

pretty disappointed with this $80 plane as well. Link to the documentation gives a 404 error https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/340 ... al_P3d.pdf.

plane still doesn't fly right. did I flood the engine? have no idea how to do maintenance. somehow I ended up here after clicking on a link to view more screenshots? discovered that there an update I need to apply for Accusim? (What's that?) seems to have a 2 year update history have no idea if the product I bought yesterday is up to date.

I'm sure that the plane is really not bad once its working properly but the new user experience has been less than friendly.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

piperninermikebravo wrote:pretty disappointed with this $80 plane as well. Link to the documentation gives a 404 error https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/340 ... al_P3d.pdf.

plane still doesn't fly right. did I flood the engine? have no idea how to do maintenance. somehow I ended up here after clicking on a link to view more screenshots? discovered that there an update I need to apply for Accusim? (What's that?) seems to have a 2 year update history have no idea if the product I bought yesterday is up to date.

I'm sure that the plane is really not bad once its working properly but the new user experience has been less than friendly.
The manual is as with all windows software and I believe even noted during installation under your Start Menu >> All Programs >> A2A Simulations.

If you encounter any issues we offer this forum here with 25,000 members including simmers pilots, instructors and full access to the dev team. Until you ask we cannot help you. Until you read the manual or ask here we also cannot advise you on how to use the product. We dont expect users to know what to do, this is why we place the manual in the normal place for windows software and note throughout in the install about the forums for extended help 24/7

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Piper9MB - just to add to what Lewis has already said, the Accu-Sim update is available from here. We're currently in the process of overhauling the installers (starting with P3Dv4 products) so that they'll check for and deliver the most recent update at the point of installation.

Thanks,
Nick

piperninermikebravo
Airman Basic

Post by piperninermikebravo »

The normal place for a manual would be inside the zip file. This would be the first place to look if the store page didn't have a broken link that says "CLICK the manual below to view"...

https://a2asimulations.com/store/index. ... 9234602310

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

piperninermikebravo wrote:The normal place for a manual would be inside the zip file. This would be the first place to look if the store page didn't have a broken link that says "CLICK the manual below to view"...

https://a2asimulations.com/store/index. ... 9234602310
Sorry but that is not correct for windows software. The manuals, documentation, shortcuts are always under the start menu after installation.

For the website we are aware and have a whole new website and store going live soon.

thanks,
Lewis

guillaume78150
Staff Sergeant

Post by guillaume78150 »

A2A aircraft are much more complex than basic ones included with the sim. It does not shock me they are more demanding when it comes to installation or use.
For what it's worth, first thing to do, even before installing any A/C, is to print the manual. It's much more convenient to use and mine is always on the desk beside the joystick.

dga
Airman Basic

Post by dga »

:?:
Last edited by dga on 06 May 2018, 03:15, edited 2 times in total.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

dga wrote:I totally agree. I purchased the C-172 three days ago, and have a totally inop aircraft. NO sound, flight controls that don't function (Visibly do not show movement). Engine will not even crank. Radio stack will not come alive... Need I go any further.

If this was a physical aircraft it would be considered a total loss for insurance purposes.

This product should not have been released for purchase until it has been tested properly.

Since A2A boasts the fact that their aircraft are as close to the real physical aircraft, then they should produce a product like a real-world manufacturer, and produce "NEW" aircraft that functions as a new aircraft according to FAA certification, ie. "it actually performs like a certified aircraft from the factory".

I am an actual pilot and CFI, and was going to suggest this aircraft to my students as a training aid. However, based on the results of just a few hours trying to make this aircraft function, I will discourage anyone from using this product.
Hello dga,

if you post your technical issues we will be happy to help. Until you start a new thread and post though we cannot help. It does simply sound like you have not read the manual though and your computer does not meet the min recommended specs hence it not working.

If you are an FSX user, it sounds like your FSX is not fully updated with the two FSX Service Packs or that your install is corrupt missing the simconnect components. Its a common issue with the simulation and we would be happy to help you solve to Microsoft issue.

Simply start a new thread so we can help, similar to if you would visit your mechanic if you discover an issue with your aircraft, rather than write it off as a total write off.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

dga wrote:I totally agree. I purchased the C-172 three days ago, and have a totally inop aircraft. NO sound, flight controls that don't function (Visibly do not show movement). Engine will not even crank. Radio stack will not come alive... Need I go any further.

If this was a physical aircraft it would be considered a total loss for insurance purposes.

This product should not have been released for purchase until it has been tested properly.

Since A2A boasts the fact that their aircraft are as close to the real physical aircraft, then they should produce a product like a real-world manufacturer, and produce "NEW" aircraft that functions as a new aircraft according to FAA certification, ie. "it actually performs like a certified aircraft from the factory".

I am an actual pilot and CFI, and was going to suggest this aircraft to my students as a training aid. However, based on the results of just a few hours trying to make this aircraft function, I will discourage anyone from using this product.
Interesting.
I notice you don't seem to have even considered the fact that the problems you are having are local which I can assure you they are since there are literally thousands of copies of the A2A 172 being used both by sim enthusiasts AND Part 61 and 141 flight school CFI's. Trust me, I know many of these instructors. I am an instructor myself and have recommended the A2A 172 many times over to CFI's all over the United States. The product itself is the recipient of almost every top award offered by the sim industry.
What you need to do is back off the negative "expert opinion" thing and simply and clearly state what is wrong. There are people here on the forum who actually know a thing or two about these things and will help you get squared away.
Dudley Henriques

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Post by ratty »

Odd. I, too, am an "actual pilot", and have several/many A2A aircraft. I have never had a problem that wasn't self-induced. With the huge variety of individual setups out there it's impressive that their products work as reliably as they do. "There's something wrong with the product!" is the LAST place I would go.

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

DHenriquesA2A wrote:
Interesting.
I notice you don't seem to have even considered the fact that the problems you are having are local which I can assure you they are since there are literally thousands of copies of the A2A 172 being used both by sim enthusiasts AND Part 61 and 141 flight school CFI's. Trust me, I know many of these instructors. I am an instructor myself and have recommended the A2A 172 many times over to CFI's all over the United States. The product itself is the recipient of almost every top award offered by the sim industry.
What you need to do is back off the negative "expert opinion" thing and simply and clearly state what is wrong. There are people here on the forum who actually know a thing or two about these things and will help you get squared away.
Dudley Henriques
+1
ratty wrote:
Odd. I, too, am an "actual pilot", and have several/many A2A aircraft. I have never had a problem that wasn't self-induced. With the huge variety of individual setups out there it's impressive that their products work as reliably as they do. "There's something wrong with the product!" is the LAST place I would go.
+1

I too have had issues with my aircraft. Each and every time is was self induced or a local issue of some sort. I watch most of the threads with curiosity when others have troubles and the people here (both customers and A2A Support Staff) are always willing to "Work The Problem" through to a satisfactory conclusion. To attack the software and its developers without "working the problem" is absurd and noxious to a satisfactory end.

A more productive approach would be to simply state the troubles you are having, give a rundown on your setup and allow others to help. I'm quite certain that the thousands of installs of this software that went smoothly were NOT flukes.

I wish you all luck and lots of enjoyment flying the best aircraft available for flight simming.

Cheers
Roger
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”