Disappointed

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
peregrine
Airman

Disappointed

Post by peregrine »

I have installed the C172 into P3D 4.2 and yes, I have bought and downloaded the correct package (from JustFlight).

I made the latest update (from December)

There is NO configurator tool in the start menu. I tracked it down to the documents folder. Ran it. Tried to change to my reality xp GNS - greyed out.

Also, that was the ONLY option - GPS - nothing else.

Also, the nosewheel doesn't turn properly on taxi.

I'm bored of having to hunt down fixes for things I have paid for - I am NOT a flight sim developer. I just want what I have paid for to work.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Disappointed

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

sorry for the issue you encountered. Lockheed changed things with the P3D since release, we updated the product via our updater. It sounds like you have not run the latest updater?

You can download and run it here;
http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 08&t=57819

Happy to help but will need more information, which P3D are you using for example?

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello peregrine,

Just to add to Lewis's reply, we're testing new installers for the Accu-Sim P3Dv4 products. The missing shortcut for the C172 Aircraft Configurator is addressed and there should also be some new third-party GPS options.

A couple of updates to the P3Dv4 product line have been necessary over recent months as Lockheed Martin have made various changes to the host sim itself. The new installers should make it easier to obtain such updates too.

Best regards,
Nick

peregrine
Airman

Post by peregrine »

Nick - A2A wrote:Hello peregrine,

Just to add to Lewis's reply, we're testing new installers for the Accu-Sim P3Dv4 products. The missing shortcut for the C172 Aircraft Configurator is addressed and there should also be some new third-party GPS options.

A couple of updates to the P3Dv4 product line have been necessary over recent months as Lockheed Martin have made various changes to the host sim itself. The new installers should make it easier to obtain such updates too.

Best regards,
Nick

Guys, I really don't like to be critical and I understand the issue of P3d being a bit of a moving target. I solved the GPS issue thanks to the workaround kindly posted on Avsim.

Now, I love the fidelity of A2A planes, and I really miss the cub from 7 years or so ago. I had FSX, but after a break since then I have come straight into P3D.

I have to live without the cub, so I bought the C172. It's amazing. When it starts. I'm a geek. I like procedures. It's why I bought your plane. But for the life of me it WILL NOT start. I have followed the procedures to the letter, so if anyone out there wants to suggest I haven't....well, I have. I am now having to do auto start.....which ruins the immersion. I also want to buy the Cherokee, but with these issues, I dare not part with my cash.

Please help me to get the plane started.

Thanks

Dominic

peregrine
Airman

Post by peregrine »

Nick - A2A wrote:Hello peregrine,

Best regards,
Nick

Guys, I really don't like to be critical and I understand the issue of P3d being a bit of a moving target. I solved the GPS issue thanks to the workaround kindly posted on Avsim.

Now, I love the fidelity of A2A planes, and I really miss the cub from 7 years or so ago. I had FSX, but after a break since then I have come straight into P3D.

I have to live without the cub, so I bought the C172. It's amazing. When it starts. I'm a geek. I like procedures. It's why I bought your plane. But for the life of me it WILL NOT start. I have followed the procedures to the letter, so if anyone out there wants to suggest I haven't....well, I have. I am now having to do auto start.....which ruins the immersion. I also want to buy the Cherokee, but with these issues, I dare not part with my cash.

Please help me to get the plane started.

Nearly forgot - I did apply the updated suggested.

Thanks

Dominic

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Dominic,

In terms of struggling to start the 172, I'd say there are two things that regularly catch people out...

1. Over-priming. Exactly how long are you priming for? In hot weather conditions, only 4-5 seconds of priming should be required. If the engine is already warm, you typically won't need to prime at all.

2. Not opening the throttle enough. The definition of a "cracked" throttle is open to interpretation, by try opening the throttle by at least 10-15%.

There are plenty of existing topics discussing this matter. Here's a recent one with lots of good advice. :)

Thanks,
Nick

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Yes, I would be guessing a flooded engine (If auto start works then technically its working and points to pilot error). Remember the checklists are guides and will vary dependant on conditions. If you flood the engine it will let you know under the engine section of the maint hanger which will be worth a check should you get it again.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Peregrine, try this:
The way we start them and the way that has ALWAYS worked for me in the A2A bird, is to turn on the fuel pump then push in the mixture lever until the fuel flow gauge hits 5gph then IMMEDIATELY move mixture to cutoff and turn off the fuel pump.

Of all the starting/priming methods I have tried over the years in both real and sim on the 172R model. That is the ONLY one that has a near 100% success rate first time.

I say "near 100%" because it did fail me for real once at Jandakot on a 40C day (45C on the tarmac) on restart after a 2 1/2 hour flight and a 15 minute break.

The 172R has a truly horrible engine unless starting conditions are near optimal.

If auto start works, the problem is pilot technique. The way Accusim works, it can't be any other way.
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

peregrine
Airman

Post by peregrine »

Thanks everyone for your advice.

I have tried a variety of settings and a variety of amounts of time to prime the engine.

I just don't buy that this is pilot error. It is literally impossible to start the plane under ANY conditions, in ANY configuration. Besides which, I am following the manual to the letter. So something is amiss somewhere.

As for getting the fuel flow to 5 GPH......impossible. It gets to just over 3 GPH even with the mixture full rich. Leaving the mixture fully leans it gets to 5 LPH......but in now way will it get to 5 GPH.

I am convinced there are massive errors with this plane. It cant be that hard to make it start. It does not seem to be an overly common issue (looking at forums everywhere), so it suggests to me that it can't be that hard too start the engine, especially following directions to the letter. I think a small number of us are encountering something anomalous.

RageShade1
Staff Sergeant

Post by RageShade1 »

Ive gotten the 172 started in as low as -30F un plugged completely cold, It actually starts fairly easy for me, On a normal day Fuel pump on, prime 5 seconds fuel pump off, Throttle %30 crank for up to 6 seconds and it fires off and idles just over 1k RPM. -30F coldstat, No heater, Prime 10-15 seconds Throttle %50, Crank up to 10 seconds and it usually sputters to life and idles badly till warm (using 100W oil in -30F temps pegs the oil pressure gauge at 115psi+).

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

If you are getting fuel flow that means that there is fuel and the fuel cutoff is open, which is good.

The below steps MUST BE PERFORMED IN THE EXACT ORDER. Also before proceeding, I would consider overhauling the engine in the maintenance hangar to eliminate and possibility of damaged components causing trouble.

1) Fuel cutoff - pushed in
2) Fuel selector - both
3) Mixture - full cutoff
4) Throttle - open - When priming it is important to make sure that the throttle is open sufficiently. Try opening it a little more. Somewhere between 15-25% seems to work best on the A2A 172.
Next turn on that
5) Master on
6) Fuel pump - On
7) Mixture - full rich for 5 seconds when the engine is cold (one one thousand, two one thousand...)
8) Mixture - cutoff
9) Ignition - Start
10) Wait until the engine fires and then promptly push the mixture to full rich
11) Monitor Oil pressure and adjust RPM to maintain 1000 RPM

I routinely see real life pilots struggle to start this same engine, so no, it isn't always that easy to start and does require one to think about what is going on inside the engine to get a good start everytime. In fact, one ran down their battery just last week trying to start their engine and had to get ground power hooked up and they were with an instructor!

Fuel Air and Spark in the proper ratio are required for an engine to start and run. The trick is getting them in the correct ratio. If the engine was just run and is still hot, attempt to start with no prime first as it is easy to flood a hot engine.

There was once someone who insisted they were doing everything ok including priming for 5 seconds, and we asked for them to record a video. When we watched we saw that they were priming for 18 seconds! There was no way that the engine would start like that.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

peregrine
Airman

Post by peregrine »

Well, I've tried all this.....none of it works. I really appreciate the effort that has gone into the replies though - thank you:-)

The engine iis turning over, but it is as though there is no spark to ignite the fuel.

It woud be inetersting to see a video of someoone actually performing a successful start-up procedure.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

peregrine wrote:It woud be inetersting to see a video of someoone actually performing a successful start-up procedure.
There's no shortage of those if you search on YouTube Dominic. Try this one for starters.

Thanks,
Nick

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

I would be happy to, but I can't figure out how to get Shadow Play to work with FSX. Trade ya! :)
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

peregrine
Airman

Post by peregrine »

OK....so I've just had a breakthrough.

I looked for the .DAT files in the users\myname\documents\a2a\ directory.........but it was empty.

So I went straight to documents\ondrive\a2a (or similar) and in there was an FSX folder.....strange because i TWICE downloaded the P3D version and installed it.

So, I deleted the .dat files and the FSX folder.

I started P3D and loaded default plane. then changed to the a2a 172. Then I RESET the plane. it started. and it keeps starting. And now there is a P3D folder in the documentsZonedrive folder.

Something was clearly incorrect with the install.

What I will add is that the battery voltage is strugling to get above 25 until the engine starts and the alternator comes alive.....then it shots u to 28. So I'm not convinced the battery is a) charged properly to start with and b) is just discharhging at a faster than expected rate.

I relly feel that some more prescriptive guidance is needed from the developers on install procedures, etc. I shouldn't have too waste time on folk tales abot the vagaires of C172s, real life or virtual. they are the experts and can best advise us.

I remain dissapointed about this aspect - but pleased I now seem to be getting what I paid for.

It's even more disappointing that having done all the had work in creating a great aircraft it is llet down at the final hurdle by a lack of testing on something as relatively straightforward as install procedures.

I will update this thread on coontinued success or otherwise as I use the aircraft.

Thanks again

Dominic

PS - apologies for the spelling - I just bought this cheap linx surface book wannabe and I'm still adjusting to it. Its not bad actually - great for Navigraph charts!
Last edited by peregrine on 10 Apr 2018, 18:24, edited 1 time in total.

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”