Installation not performing correctly

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Trevor_D
Airman

Installation not performing correctly

Post by Trevor_D »

I recently bought the A2A C172 w/ Accu-sim for P3D v4. I've made several attempts to install this add-on. During the installation process, I am instructed to either allow the install to go to the Prepar3d directory, or to Browse to a custom location. However, when I get to this page, it does not default to the P3D directory. Instead it brings up, C:\Users\Trevor\Documents\Prepar3d v4 Add-ons\A2A\.

It's not even on the correct drive. My P3D is on the D drive and it won't let me browse to anything on the D drive. I tried just letting it create a corresponding directory on the D drive by typing 'D' in, but the aircraft does not show up in the vehicle list when I open P3D. P3D is the only thing on the D drive so does that mean I should type in, 'D:\Prepar3d' , and then let it install there?

-Trevor

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Installation not performing correctly

Post by Oracle427 »

The add-on is attempting to install to the Chevy path as per the P3D v 4 add-on install directory specifications. You will need to familiarize yourself with the P3D model and new file structure to learn how to point to a new install location. I don't own P3D, so I can't guide you through it myself, but I understand that it isn't too hard to do.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Trevor,

To make updating the host simulator easier, Lockheed Martin ask developers to install add-ons outside of the main Prepar3D v4 directory. Because of this, hidden "add-ons.cfg" files are used to reference add-on installed in other folders and on other drives. The default folder they install for this purpose is "Documents/Prepar3D v4 Add-ons" as you've seen.

If you wish to install your add-ons to your D: drive instead, you can simply create a new folder on D: called "Prepar3D v4 Add-ons" or similar, and point the installer there.

Thanks,
Nick

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello Trevor,

P3Dv4 prefers add-on's to be installed externally. By default this is your My Documents folder in the P3D Add-on's directory that P3D creates upon installation. You can however create custom directories for add-on's wherever you wish on your system. You will want to refer back to your P3D documentation for further information on this.

You should not be installing into your sim directory, please follow the install instructions during the installation of your software.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Trevor_D
Airman

Post by Trevor_D »

Nick M wrote:Hi Trevor,

To make updating the host simulator easier, Lockheed Martin ask developers to install add-ons outside of the main Prepar3D v4 directory. Because of this, hidden "add-ons.cfg" files are used to reference add-on installed in other folders and on other drives. The default folder they install for this purpose is "Documents/Prepar3D v4 Add-ons" as you've seen.

If you wish to install your add-ons to your D: drive instead, you can simply create a new folder on D: called "Prepar3D v4 Add-ons" or similar, and point the installer there.

Thanks,
Nick
That's essential what I did, but it was layered through several other folders on the D drive. So if pull this Prepar3d v4 Add-ons folder out of the other folders that should work? I can try that and I can also try letting it install to the C drive, though I have no idea how that could work. There has to be something in the D drive when I run Prepar3d to know to refer to exactly that location. Prepar3d was once installed on the C drive before I realized the C drive wasn't big enough. But once I uninstalled it and reinstalled on the D drive, why wouldn't it just create it's own add on folder there? This is going to be a mess.

-Trevor

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Trevor,

As mentioned, Prepar3D v4 uses hidden "add-ons.cfg" files along with .xml files to tell it where to find external add-ons and the expected folder structure. This gives you the option to install add-ons on a completely different drive if you prefer, and they'll still work as expected.

In your case, if you plenty of room on your D: drive then you can just install your A2A add-ons there. It doesn't matter what the folder you install to is called, the installer will create a new "A2A" folder within it.

It's best not to try an install in the Prepar3D directory itself though.

Cheers,
Nick

Trevor_D
Airman

Post by Trevor_D »

Nick M wrote:
In your case, if you plenty of room on your D: drive then you can just install your A2A add-ons there. It doesn't matter what the folder you install to is called, the installer will create a new "A2A" folder within it.
To be clear, that's exactly what I did, and yes, it created the folders D:\Users\Trevor\Documents\Prepar3d v4 Add-ons\A2A\. This didn't work; P3D doesn't see the add-on. Which means that I can't just let it install anywhere. The question becomes where do I tell it to install? The answer comes from what's in the config/xml file. I'm wondering if it's still directed to look in the address C:\Users\... I'll have to try again when I get back.

-Trevor

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Trevor,

I think if you're using P3Dv4.2, the problem might be caused by another little issue which Lockheed Martin introduced with the latest update. Please see the pinned post here for more info on the temporary workaround. Hopefully there will be a more permanent solution soon. :)

Nick

Trevor_D
Airman

Post by Trevor_D »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Hello Trevor,

P3Dv4 prefers add-on's to be installed externally. By default this is your My Documents folder in the P3D Add-on's directory that P3D creates upon installation. You can however create custom directories for add-on's wherever you wish on your system. You will want to refer back to your P3D documentation for further information on this.

You should not be installing into your sim directory, please follow the install instructions during the installation of your software.

thanks,
Lewis
Are you talking about installation instructions from P3D or from A2A? If you're referring to the installation instructions encountered when running the installation of the C172, I'm afraid I already tried following these instructions, and they have not been sufficient. I will try letting the add-on install on the C drive as it wants to by default, but I thought I had already tried this. I may have to take this to the P3D support forum if it's an issue with P3D not finding add-ons.

-Trevor

Trevor_D
Airman

Post by Trevor_D »

Nick M wrote:Hi Trevor,

I think if you're using P3Dv4.2, the problem might be caused by another little issue which Lockheed Martin introduced with the latest update. Please see the pinned post here for more info on the temporary workaround. Hopefully there will be a more permanent solution soon. :)

Nick
Yes, I am using P3Dv4.2. I will try the fix you listed there. Thanks!

-Trevor

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Sounds like the trailing backslash is the culprit in this case then Trevor. Incidentally, installing to the default folder in 'Documents' should fix the issue too as it allows P3D to 'auto-detect' the add-on.

Nick

Trevor_D
Airman

Post by Trevor_D »

Gents,

I am humbled to say that it was as simple as allowing it to install into the default C drive folder instead of forcing it on the D drive. :roll: It's a beautiful plane. Happy I didn't have to go digging through any config files. Thanks for the help!

-Trevor

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks for the update Trevor and glad to hear you're sorted for now. Seems it's definitely the "add-ons.cfg" issue introduced by Lockheed Martin with P3Dv4.2 which is the culprit here. I understand forthcoming updates will address the issue.

Regards,
Nick

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Yes, Lockheed have said that particular bug will be fixed with the next P3D update.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”