P3D Addon locatation fixed but not really?

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
walterg74
Airman

P3D Addon locatation fixed but not really?

Post by walterg74 »

After doing a complete uninstall of P3D v3, and a clean install of v4, I wanted to start fresh installing all my add-ons.

When I go install the C172, to my surprise, I see that the installation path is chosen for me, based on other files/settings, etc. and it does not let me choose or go into the P3D installation directory.

I am 100% sure this was discussed in the "early days" of v4, and all this stemmed from a misunderstanding from developers (A2A included) of what exactly the addon.xml was meant for, which includes *specifying where the add-on is actually installed, which could be anywhere*.

I am also 100% sure that in a discussion, one of the A2A folks acknowledged this, and stated it would be corrected. So the question is, what happened?

Was this never corrected? Am I maybe using an old installer for my plane? Or what is going on?

Please don't direct me to any "relocate your files" thread/post/link. I know how to do that and have no desire to do so, as I keep my documents (and OS disk in general) clean of anything except the absolutely necessary.

Thanks for your help!!!

walterg74
Airman

Re: P3D Addon locatation fixed but not really?

Post by walterg74 »

Edit: Seems it was in fact, just the C172 installer which was the previous one to the one where this was changed.

I was able to install to a custom folder, and the same for the other planes I own.

One last question though: After installing my planes, I ran the latest accusim update, however, even though I pointed it to the same location as where I installed the planes, instead of seeing it cycle through all the products, stopping and updating the ones I have like I am used to seeing, it seems to have ended really quickly, without doing any of that, almost as if it had done nothing at all...

Has anything changed with this? AM I doing something wrong?

Thanks.

Edit: Just in case, the aircraft I have are the 172, 182, 180 & 250, and have the latest 4.1 P3D. From what I read around, latest accu-sim update is from October, after the installers which are from June, so it should be doing *something* at least, right? (also, running the same updater but selecting FSX which I also have, does in fact cycle through all aircraft, updating the ones that needed it)

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

walterg74 wrote:After installing my planes, I ran the latest accusim update, however, even though I pointed it to the same location as where I installed the planes, instead of seeing it cycle through all the products, stopping and updating the ones I have like I am used to seeing, it seems to have ended really quickly, without doing any of that, almost as if it had done nothing at all...
This is normal walterg74: the 10_12_2017 update (when applied to P3Dv4.1) just replaces one-or-two shared Accu-Sim files to fix an issue with ground steering. It doesn't update any files specific to individual A2A aircraft hence no need to cycle through them.

Thanks,
Nick

walterg74
Airman

Post by walterg74 »

Nick M wrote:
walterg74 wrote:After installing my planes, I ran the latest accusim update, however, even though I pointed it to the same location as where I installed the planes, instead of seeing it cycle through all the products, stopping and updating the ones I have like I am used to seeing, it seems to have ended really quickly, without doing any of that, almost as if it had done nothing at all...
This is normal walterg74: the 10_12_2017 update (when applied to P3Dv4.1) just replaces one-or-two shared Accu-Sim files to fix an issue with ground steering. It doesn't update any files specific to individual A2A aircraft hence no need to cycle through them.

Thanks,
Nick

Thanks Nick, I did look inside the structure and see that in fact it did just change a single file.

Thanks for the help.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

You're welcome. :)

Nick

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”