Throttle surge - SOLVED

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
RMM
Airman First Class

Re: Throttle surge

Post by RMM »

The IrisDynamics yoke uses Russ Dirks FS-Force to deliver the force feedback. But FS-Force does not have any throttle function.
I do not use FSUIPC. So all assignments to the devices, including the Yoke, are coming from P3D. FS-Force moderates the % of total force available based on speed. There are a few other settings in FS-Force for the elevator and trim function.

Will review FS-Force settings again.

RMM

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Okay, that simplifies things a bit hopefully. If you like, I can take a look at your control assignments to see if I can spot any clues. You'll need to post a copy of this file...

C:\Users\[YourUserName]\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\Controls\Standard.xml

...Or if you like drop me a PM and I'll give you an email address. Note that by default the "AppData" folder is hidden so you'll need to select the Windows option to show hidden files and folders in order to see it.

Cheers,
Nick

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Though its ultra rare and very strange for it to be it, it is worth as you mentioning trying some different USB ports. I know some bad ports or usb external powered hubs can sometime cause some weirdness when they do go wrong, so if checking everything might as well do that quick test of some different ports.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

RMM
Airman First Class

Post by RMM »

Hello Nick and Lewis...

Just starting morning here on Guam. By afternoon, I should have time to run a check. IrisDynamics has responded and I hope for a reply in a few hours.

I also thought about USB port problems. I will divert the Iris Yoke to a dedicated USB connection on the back of the computer. Will then run some more checks and if nothing is resolved, I will send Nick the requested file.

Thanks for the super support. I feel like the Navy Seals and Army Rangers were called in for rescue.

RMM - Guam

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks RMM - let us know how you get on.

Nick

RMM
Airman First Class

Re: Throttle surge - SOLVED

Post by RMM »

Problem is almost 100% solved. The surge does occur once in a while, but a quick movement of the throttle and it stops. And now, does not re-occur. So that is an acceptable result.
Will fly some more today. Trying to practice Steep Turns today.
If all is satisfactory after today, I will post a final "Resolved" reply.

Often I see a final record of a solution is not clearly posted. I try to always do that so the history is easy to see and maybe save time in the future.

CAUSE: Mostly the problem seems to be use of an under-powered USB hub.
My new computer has lots of USB 3.0 ports. So I was able to do away with the powered USB hub completely.

SOLUTION:
I followed these instructions:
-1- All devices now use an independent, single USB port. Had lots on the back of my new motherboard. Removed the powered USB Hub.
-2- Removed all overlapping/duplicate assignments. While maybe not critical, this matches how I use the actual hardware. Each function operated by a device has only one assignment, except for existing keyboard assignments. NOTED: The IrisDynamics Yoke now only shows the aileron and elevator axes. The errant throttle axis on this device is now gone.
-3- Started up with the default P3D military jet. For good measure, then switched to the LM J3 Cub. No throttle surge occurred at any time.
-4- Loaded up my saved scenario with the A2A C172 and flew a circuit. The throttle surge did reappear twice. My research shows this to be a bug deep inside FSX, now P3D up to version 3. BUT... with one quick movement of the throttle, the surge was gone and did not return.

I was introducing a friend to the simulator yesterday evening. He crashed the aircraft a couple of times. With the setting to ignore damage, it seems the software / hardware interface can easily get corrupted. So I did a complete shut down and restart as above. Then continued without incident.

Thanks Nick and Lewis... you have saved the day.
RMM - Guam

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks for the detailed update RMM and happy to hear the issue is mostly resolved. You're right, this kind of info can be helpful for future cases. It was instructive for me too! :)

Nick

RMM
Airman First Class

Post by RMM »

Thanks, Nick, so much for your help. Your manner of interaction was professional and constructive at every step. Same for Lewis.

Today, during my extended practice of steep turns and power off stalls, only had ONE throttle surge.
So I think this is quite a success. Certainly this apparent bug is not a problem any more.

My confidence in being able to prepare to resume real world flight training is increasing quickly now.

Having this IrisDynamics Force Feedback Yoke is a huge plus. I got it via Kickstarter at a bargain price. Makes me work to pull and push and trim.
Matched with the A2A Accu-sim C172 - Priceless!

Best regards.
RMM

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Ahh good to hear of the solve, a dodgy USB Hub strikes again! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I do tend to try and keep a close eye on my eye, ready for the inevitable failure. I don't think I've ever not had one fail, but they are so damn useful its hard not to need one.

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”