P3Dv4 SPAD.Next alternator switch

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
CaptBobo
Airman Basic

P3Dv4 SPAD.Next alternator switch

Post by CaptBobo »

Hi everyone,

I'm using P3D v4 with the C172 and I've got SPAD.Next configured to set the following LVARs for Alternator ON/OFF: ENG1_GENERATORSWITCH = 1 (for on) = 0 (for off). That *sort of* works. What happens is flipping the alternator master on switches on BOTH the alternator and battery masters, switching off turns off only the alternator master, leaving the battery master on. Has anyone else seen this behavior? I've also tried mapping the alt master switch to SimConnect events (don't recall the name for alternator on/off), but it does the same thing. Is there another LVAR I should use for the alternator master? The battery master (using LVAR BATTERY1SWITCH) works correctly. I'm also using the latest beta of SPAD.Next. Thanks!

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: P3Dv4 SPAD.Next alternator switch

Post by Lewis - A2A »

This can help;
http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 08&t=40389

Spad and its community also has some special settings or packs for our software for integration with our advanced simulation.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

CaptBobo
Airman Basic

Post by CaptBobo »

Thanks for the reply! I’ve seen the list of LVARs and I’m using the correct one for the alternator switch. I think there’s a bug in the P3D version of the C172 trainer, however. Setting the alternator switch LVAR is switching on *both* the alternator and battery. I haven’t had a chance yet to try this in the FSX version of the C172 to see if it happens there. Or, there may be a problem with P3D itself. I’m not sure.

CaptBobo
Airman Basic

Post by CaptBobo »

It’s also possible this is a SPAD.neXt bug. Others have reported this. The general workaround seems to be to use the Input Configurator to create keyboard shortcuts for the alternator and battery switches and use those shortcuts in SPAD. I’ll give that a try next!

CaptBobo
Airman Basic

Post by CaptBobo »

Okay, I've done some testing and I'm convinced this is a bug in the C172 simulation, at least for P3D v4. For the test, I didn't even run SPAD. I went into the Input Configuration tool and assigned Ctrl+B/Shift+Ctrl+B to Battery switch on/off, and Ctrl+G/Shift+Ctrl+G to alternator switch on/off. The battery switch shortcuts work as expected, but when I press Ctrl+G, both the alternator and battery switches turn on. Pressing Shift+Ctrl+G turns off just the alternator switch, leaving the battery switch still on.

Seems like the code which responds to "alternator switch on" events, whether via LVARs or keyboard shortcuts, is activating both master switches. :?

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

The switches are coupled together that way in the real aircraft. It is not possible to turn on the alternator without turning on the battery. This is true for both the switches and also true because of the east the alternator functions. Electrical power is required to produce an electro magnetic field on the alternator to enable it to produce electricity.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

CaptBobo
Airman Basic

Post by CaptBobo »

Oracle427 wrote:The switches are coupled together that way in the real aircraft. It is not possible to turn on the alternator without turning on the battery.
Ah hah! Mystery solved. Thanks! :)

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”