P3D V4 C172 Oil Temperature and both Fuel Gauages Non Opera

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
tjahns
Airman Basic

P3D V4 C172 Oil Temperature and both Fuel Gauages Non Opera

Post by tjahns »

The oil temperature gauge and both fuel tank gauges (left and right) are non-operational (i.e. the needles do not move from the bottoms of the gauges) and when I hover my mouse over them, the display two dashes sandwiched between left and right parentheses (as follows):

Oil Temperature (--)
Left wing fuel tank quantity (--)
Right wing fuel tank quantify (--)

As far as I can tell, all other gauges operate normally.

The problem occurs with all variants of the PDv4 A2A Cessna 172 Trainer.

I have so far tried deleting (renaming actually) the A2A folder in my Documents folder and in the Prepar3D v4 Add-ons folder and then re-installed from the C172_P3Dv4_Academic.EXE installer dated 29-May-2017, to no avail.

Notes:

-P3Dv4 Hotfix 1 (v4.0.2.82.21686)
-Windows 10 "Creators Update"
-Intel Core i7-6670K CPU
-P3Dv3.4 HF3 and the P3Dv3 version of your C172 Trainer are also installed on my rig
-The P3Dv3 version of your C172 trainer is not affected

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: P3D V4 C172 Oil Temperature and both Fuel Gauages Non Op

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi - thanks for the detailed info and welcome to the forums. :)

Sounds like it could be a pretty simple solution though. Have you checked (clicked on) the "inst" circuit breaker? It's located just above the beacon light switch.

Thanks,
Nick

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Yes it sounds like a simple mis check that the aircraft is fit for flight prior to engine start. Easy thing to miss, esp for simmers use to the more default level realism.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

tjahns
Airman Basic

Post by tjahns »

Thank you for the suggestions. I did solve my problem with the gauges prior to the above replies. It could very well have been a combination of the above two solutions, but...

I do know that after I installed the P3Dv4 version (alongside the P3Dv3 version) the gauges in question were non-operational, even while I was flying at altitude with the engine running. It could have been the breaker... There is also the possibility that the battery/alternator switches were switched off (which could have been caused by differences between P3Dv3/V4 versions of the C172 as discussed below), or there could have been some sort of technical glitch due to the following:

I do see that, because of the file and folder structure of the settings in the A2A C172, the C172 configuration info is shared between the two versions of P3D (i.e. v3 and v4). Unfortunately, however, there are apparently API differences between the P3Dv3 and P3Dv4 versions of the C172, which I observed as follows:

I use PollyPot's GoFlight Interface Tool (GIT), which also shares settings between V3 and V4 of P3D, and I had to reconfigure my A2A_C172 settings (in GIT) because the same settings with the P3Dv3 of the C172 didn't exactly work with the P3Dv4 version of the C172. Note that this problem opens a whole new can of worms.... For example, there is no event for MAGNETO_LEFT for use with my GoFlight SESM module's starter switch (in both P3Dv3/4 versions of the C172), but there is a MAGNETO1_LEFT event, which no longer works in GIT with the P3Dv4 of the C172 (like it did in theP3Dv3 C172....) I'm not a developer so I cannot comment whether the lack of a "MAGNETO_LEFT" setting (but the existence of the MAGNETO1_LEFT, MAGNETO2_LEFT, MAGNETO3_LEFT, and MAGNETO4_LEFT settings) is a LM P3Dv3/4 API issue (or an A2A C172 API issue).

Anyway, after I deleted the A2A folders in my Windows 10 "Documents" folder and then, after I successfully started the aircraft, the gauges started working again. Woo hoo!

Note that although the start-up procedure in the A2A C172 is ridiculously touchy, I like to shut down the C172 when I am finished flying my sim and then start it up cold and dark when I return to my sim. In other words, I do appreciate the realism in the A2A aircraft. I do wish, however that the the A2A C172 included a the "SP" variant with the G1000 option -- I was in the left seat of one of those in the RW recently -- but the A2A C172 probably couldn't be labeled a "trainer" if it included a G1000. ;)

-Tim

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”