C172 Aircraft Configurator "can't find sim path"...P3D V4

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
BerBaas
Airman

C172 Aircraft Configurator "can't find sim path"...P3D V4

Post by BerBaas »

The subject says it all. Fresh install onto drive other than OS (Windows 8.1). The plane seems to run OK albeit I really haven't exercised it yet. (Getting other details finished before flying). This is a fresh install for P3D v4 and the 172 is the first add-on.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: C172 Aircraft Configurator "can't find sim path"...P3D V

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

can you give us details about you install

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

BerBaas
Airman

Post by BerBaas »

I can't remember anything remarkable about the install. I aimed the installer at "E:\Prepar3D\". I wound up with, I think, a new folder "E:\Prepar3D\addons\" in which the 172 was installed. The Configurator and Input Configurator got desktop icons. The Input Configurator seems to open fine. It all went smoothly without fails or notifications.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

did you setup your add-on folder prior to installing?

Are you familiar with the way P3Dv4 installs add-on's outside the main directory?

thanks,
Lewis - A2A

BerBaas
Airman

Post by BerBaas »

I'm not aware the Add-On folder needed setting up. So nothing was done along those lines prior to the 172 install.
In that this is my first go-around with P3D (I only got it 2 days before the 172), I'm not aware of any methods for Add-On's.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Ok, it might be best to uninstall and start over.

The default P3Dv4 add-on folder is in your my documents and this is where the installer will initially try to install too. You can install anywhere but its best to have a think first and plan this out for our own system.

For example;

on my laptop I have my docs mapped to my E drive and just install in the default location of my docs etc on my E drive.

on my desktop I created a new folder called P3D Addons on another drive (with lots of space for futureproofing) and then installed into this, letting our installer set up this folder for me for my A2A Aircraft.

thanks,
Lewis

BerBaas
Airman

Post by BerBaas »

I created the add-on folder as an afterthought and moved the files in the Doc folder to the new Add-On folder on the E: drive. Everything worked fine except the configurator.
OK I'll give that a try. Will Let you know what happens. However, if the configurator only addresses alternative 3rd party GPS units as I have seen in other posts I'd just as soon leave it as I have no plans to go in that direction. The 172 works fine so far. What do you think?

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

In case of future issues and also so you can use the updater for updates down the road its best to correct any issues/install now rather than leave it.

thanks,
Lewis

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

The Configurator also is used to assign control mappings specific to the A2A aircraft and there could be other issues with the installation that you have not yet discovered.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

BerBaas
Airman

Post by BerBaas »

@Orecle...If your referring to the input configurator, that opens just fine but I have not assigned any inputs as I'm using the P3D setup utility within settings.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

You may have other hidden issues, as Lewis notes, best to solve now before issues compound.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

mallcott
Staff Sergeant

Post by mallcott »

BerBaas wrote:I created the add-on folder as an afterthought and moved the files in the Doc folder to the new Add-On folder on the E: drive. Everything worked fine except the configurator.
OK I'll give that a try. Will Let you know what happens. However, if the configurator only addresses alternative 3rd party GPS units as I have seen in other posts I'd just as soon leave it as I have no plans to go in that direction. The 172 works fine so far. What do you think?
No that is not how it's done, you cannot move folders, but you can symbolically link. Use the search term MKLINK in the forum here.

Realistically, P3D is not something you want to play about with without understanding what you are doing so probably best to do some readin' before you start installin'.

The most important and first thing to learn is how to uninstall and reinstall it, and the modular elements that comprise the sim platform. Once you have that information you can have confidence you can't do anything that can't be undone and can then proceed to addons, which do NOT follow the same methodology as FSX for correct installation.

BerBaas
Airman

Post by BerBaas »

OK gang I think I'm in business. I did some poking around in the P3D Add-On tree and found an instance of both configurators. I shortcutted them onto the desktop and both open and seem to work as I would expect. I'm thinking the original desktop shortcuts were aimed at the c:user doc folder. Like I said previously I shipped the A2A files to E:\P3D add-ons folder and the originals could not find them.
One last question can I reinstall over the old install? Reason being the Programs ans Features were also aimed at the C:\Docs folder and thinks the 172 has already been uninstalled.

BerBaas
Airman

Post by BerBaas »

@ Mallcott...So what you're saying I take as I've created a monster in not so obvious places?, and therefore I might want to consider a re-install of P3D also?

mallcott
Staff Sergeant

Post by mallcott »

BerBaas wrote:@ Mallcott...So what you're saying I take as I've created a monster in not so obvious places?, and therefore I might want to consider a re-install of P3D also?
Yes

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”