P3Dv4 Add-on structure and how to use and move it

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
julietsierrappl
Airman

Re: P3Dv4 Add-on structure and how to use and move it

Post by julietsierrappl »

edit: never mind, just reinstalled "after" having moved my documents folder like one helpful user suggested.

mallcott
Staff Sergeant

Post by mallcott »

Ssnake51 wrote:
walterg74 wrote:
I am not going to be looking into the links of moving my documents. I keep my flight stuff on an SSD and I do not want to waste my SSD space by moving all of my documents into it just to accommodate one add-on.

If you have the freedom of putting the add-on wherever you want, then I don't understand why you chose to arbitrarily place it in one location, instead of giving us the freedom to put it wherever we want.

I'm having trouble understanding that too. Seems that we should be given the option when installing as to where we want the files to go.
Because they are following the Lockheed-Martin SDK - it is Lockheed Martin creating the folder in that location in P3Dv4, NOT A2A. They are simply locating the product where L-M wish it to be. Any issues with relocation, take them up with L-M not L-S (Lewis or Scott)...

...pointlessly, as it will NOT change as it was discussed at some length during the beta and concluded that any developer can create their own locations, but that only one would be the `standard`.

As for the earlier assessment of symbolic and dynamic links as a `hack`, don't be so stupid. :roll:
It's a native Windows function normally achieved through a Command Prompt. All MKLink does is create a GUI and menu items to achieve the result from within Windows. I've made my suggestion to make things easier, and solve the problem. It's not my sausage if you think it's some kind of weird mod. There will be no further explanation from me. :P

Frankly ALL the issues and problems being postulated here are non-existent if you use dynamic links - relocate the folder EXACTLY the same as Lewis describes, but create a dynamic link that retains its old location in the My Documents folder. The link will have nothing in it, but makes Windows (and ALL installers) think the relocated folder is still in the original location. There you go, problem solved. In 30 seconds. Future installs to that folder will actually located the files where YOU want them.

Oh, and it's exactly the same as putting a shortcut on your desktop, so if you have a problem with my suggestion you should be running Windows from the Start menu only, with no icons on your desktop, else it's hypocritical. :x

I've used the dynamic link method across multiple flight sims down through the years to relocate large files from the sim folder to large storage devices and never had a problem - On all the systems I manage we keep the FSX/P3d installs in the default location (the paranoia about `not having full control` being just that, paranoid ranting) and as that is always on the C: drive where the OS resides - and typically these days on a limited-in-size SSD - to keep the folder size down, large data file swaps to a minimum, and enable the large folders and files to be optimised, I relocate them to a Hard Drive where they can be optimally defragged according to the nature of the addon. There are also other advantages.

Finally, if you move the folder as Lewis suggests, any addon obeying the rules, or any L-M future update, will recreate that folder in the original location and now you will have duplicate folders with the same name on multiple locations. If any of you know how to prevent that, then it may be worth continuing this conversation.

Good luck.

walterg74
Airman

Post by walterg74 »

mallcott wrote:
Ssnake51 wrote:
walterg74 wrote:
I am not going to be looking into the links of moving my documents. I keep my flight stuff on an SSD and I do not want to waste my SSD space by moving all of my documents into it just to accommodate one add-on.

If you have the freedom of putting the add-on wherever you want, then I don't understand why you chose to arbitrarily place it in one location, instead of giving us the freedom to put it wherever we want.

I'm having trouble understanding that too. Seems that we should be given the option when installing as to where we want the files to go.
Because they are following the Lockheed-Martin SDK - it is Lockheed Martin creating the folder in that location in P3Dv4, NOT A2A. They are simply locating the product where L-M wish it to be. Any issues with relocation, take them up with L-M not L-S (Lewis or Scott)...

...pointlessly, as it will NOT change as it was discussed at some length during the beta and concluded that any developer can create their own locations, but that only one would be the `standard`.

As for the earlier assessment of symbolic and dynamic links as a `hack`, don't be so stupid. :roll:
It's a native Windows function normally achieved through a Command Prompt. All MKLink does is create a GUI and menu items to achieve the result from within Windows. I've made my suggestion to make things easier, and solve the problem. It's not my sausage if you think it's some kind of weird mod. There will be no further explanation from me. :P

Frankly ALL the issues and problems being postulated here are non-existent if you use dynamic links - relocate the folder EXACTLY the same as Lewis describes, but create a dynamic link that retains its old location in the My Documents folder. The link will have nothing in it, but makes Windows (and ALL installers) think the relocated folder is still in the original location. There you go, problem solved. In 30 seconds. Future installs to that folder will actually located the files where YOU want them.

Oh, and it's exactly the same as putting a shortcut on your desktop, so if you have a problem with my suggestion you should be running Windows from the Start menu only, with no icons on your desktop, else it's hypocritical. :x

I've used the dynamic link method across multiple flight sims down through the years to relocate large files from the sim folder to large storage devices and never had a problem - On all the systems I manage we keep the FSX/P3d installs in the default location (the paranoia about `not having full control` being just that, paranoid ranting) and as that is always on the C: drive where the OS resides - and typically these days on a limited-in-size SSD - to keep the folder size down, large data file swaps to a minimum, and enable the large folders and files to be optimised, I relocate them to a Hard Drive where they can be optimally defragged according to the nature of the addon. There are also other advantages.

Finally, if you move the folder as Lewis suggests, any addon obeying the rules, or any L-M future update, will recreate that folder in the original location and now you will have duplicate folders with the same name on multiple locations. If any of you know how to prevent that, then it may be worth continuing this conversation.

Good luck.
Wow.. what a useless rant from someone who evidently has not even read what we were saying...

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

julietsierrappl wrote:edit: never mind, just reinstalled "after" having moved my documents folder like one helpful user suggested.
This is the easiest way in my view. The first thing I have always done over the years when setting up a new computer, is to re-locate the 'My Documents' folder and my email account cache onto a different, large HDD. Currently they both reside on my 4TB HDD.

I also use 'symbolic links' for various other data storage re-direction using Junction Link Magic. Besides being able to make your own, it shows the links Windows (still on 7 by the way) has made for itself.

Cheers.
Steve

Adam_NZ
Technical Sergeant

Post by Adam_NZ »

bladerunner900 wrote: I also use 'symbolic links' for various other data storage re-direction using Junction Link Magic. Besides being able to make your own, it shows the links Windows (still on 7 by the way) has made for itself.
Junction Link Magic seems the way to go (thanks). Here's a good video I found that illustrates the process - and how easy it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuTzbQlykZo

The video happens to use FSX, but I expect the principle is the same for any sim or add-on.

Rather than move my complete "documents" folder, I'll probably move what I need.

Adam.
--
Image--Image

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Malcott,

These are actually legitimate questions and as a result, we've changed our installer design to accommodate any kind of installation customers would like to do.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

walterg74
Airman

Post by walterg74 »

Scott - A2A wrote:Malcott,

These are actually legitimate questions and as a result, we've changed our installer design to accommodate any kind of installation customers would like to do.

Scott.

Aaaand that's why you guys are the best!

Thanks, Scott!!

Avidean
Airman

Post by Avidean »

Scott - A2A wrote:Malcott,

Scott.
So are you saying that the C172 installer has been changed since the release of V4 so that it can be installed in any location and not just in Documents/Prepar3D V4/ Addons?

Also in the first post it says that Add-on.cfg is in:C:\Users\*YOUR USER ACCOUNT*\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4. Hmmm. I looked in there and its not there! However it is in C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D V4.

Is that a error regarding the location or is something not right with my install?

jimcarrel
Senior Airman

Post by jimcarrel »

So many different ways to do this.

I haven't tried moving the folders needed for the C172 yet, but I have moved the files for the RealAir Legacy. I moved the installed folders of the Legacy (Effects and Simobjects) to a folder named RealAir on Drive J. In the Documents\Prepar3d ver4 addons folder I added the Legacy V2 P3D3 folder which only contains the add-on.xml for the Legacy and it looks like this;

<SimBase.Document Type="AddOnXml" version="4,0" id="add-on">
<AddOn.Name>Legacy V2 P3D3</AddOn.Name>
<AddOn.Description>Aircraft RealAir</AddOn.Description>
<AddOn.Component>
<Category>Effects</Category>
<Path>J:\RealAir\Legacy V2 P3D3\Effects</Path>
</AddOn.Component>
<AddOn.Component>
<Category>SimObjects</Category>
<Path>J:\RealAir\Legacy V2 P3D3\SimObjects\Airplanes</Path>
</AddOn.Component>
</SimBase.Document>

I also did same procedure for Duke Turbine and the DukeB60.
Using the add-on.xml allows Prepar3D to add the aircraft to the aircraft.cfg itself. (no fiddling with .cfg files and possibly saving them in the wrong code).
My only mis-understanding is how the accusim updates are challenged if we manage to move the A2A files the same way. (assuming that future installers would allow installing to directory of our choice- outside P3Dv4 main directory). In other words can we move the current C172 for ver4 the same as I have done the Legacy, etc.?

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

editing the xml is not recommended by the Lockheed SDK as the xml should be in the add-on root with the rest of the files as noted in the first post. You can just edit the add-on cfg using notepad to create new locations or tbh use the exe with the added lines to add to the cfg automatically. Remember guys this is a professional simulation platform so its not going to ship with consumer style user interfaces.
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Just split the topic to keep it clear as it was going in all manner of directions. As noted in the first post I made in the stickied topic in your P3D directory you will find the learning center.chm with all the details you need.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”