P3Dv4 Add-on structure and how to use and move it

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

P3Dv4 Add-on structure and how to use and move it

Post by Lewis - A2A »

P3Dv4 Add-ons
P3Dv3 brought a new optional Add-on structure that is being pushed further with the release of v4 and that our P3Dv4 products will be using in accordance to the P3Dv4 developer SDK (Software development kit).

By default P3Dv4 creates an add-on folder in your My Documents. An example if your my documents are in the default place and you haven't used the windows location tools to change it that will be; C:\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons

If you have used the native windows re-location tool to move your My docs from your C drive then this will wherever your documents are. For example to keep my C: OS only I always relocate my Documents to another drive. At present on this desktop that is here; E:\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons

If you wish to know more about moving my documents to another drive please see these links;
http://www.dummies.com/computers/operat ... indows-10/
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3025345/ ... ition.html

Having Add-ons in there own folders outside of the main P3D folder means you are able to updates P3D without having to re-install your add-ons each time a new P3D update is released.

How to create a new Add-on area
What you may find with P3Dv4 is that many add-ons will install into this default location for Add-ons. However as a user you may want to have your own locations for your add-ons, maybe even multiple locations?

As an end user this is super easy to do with a simple cfg change allowing you to setup up as many locations as you wish throughout your system. The add-ons.cfg file in question is located by default in your user area here; C:\Users\*YOUR USER ACCOUNT*\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

Heres an example of a P3Dv4 add-on.cfg with the A2A C172 installed;
[Package.0]
PATH=C:\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\A2A
ACTIVE=true
REQUIRED=false
Now all you need to do to create new areas is to add to this, in a similar fashion as you might for example add a new livery to an aircraft in the sim, pointing to the new directory you wish to have your add-ons. An example of a custom Add-on.cfg with multiple locations;
[Package.0]
ACTIVE=true
REQUIRED=false
[Package.1]
PATH=E:\P3D Addons\developer xyc
ACTIVE=true
REQUIRED=false
[Package.2]
PATH=E:\P3D Addons\developer abc
ACTIVE=true
REQUIRED=false
[Package.3]
PATH=F:\Flight sim\P3D Addons\developer 123
ACTIVE=true
REQUIRED=false

Examples
If you wish to move the A2A folder from its default location simple copy the folder to the new location you wish and then edit the add-on.cfg so it points to the new location. An example of a move like this. First the default and then the change;
[Package.0]
ACTIVE=true
REQUIRED=false
[Package.0]
PATH=E:\P3D Addons\A2A
ACTIVE=true
REQUIRED=false

Further Reading
Further information and also other options for how to achieve the above using the Prepar3D.exe with parameters is explained in the learning center.chm found in your P3D root
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”