Not working at all in Prepar3D

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
Milky
Airman

Re: Not working at all in Prepar3D

Post by Milky »

Nick M wrote:Hullo Alan - don't despair just yet; I'm sure we can get you sorted between us. :)

So to summarise: you've got the proper P3D version of the 172 installed in P3D v3.4 with both SimConnect and the latest Accu-Sim update installed too? But your hardware yoke doesn't work on the A2A 172 and instead it controls the trim and flaps?

This definitely sounds like a controller conflict so can you let us know if you use the basic control settings in P3D to assign control axes, or some external software such as FSUIPC or Saitek's own software?

There are also a couple of things you can try. Firstly, check that you don't have any control assignments in the A2A C172 Input Configurator (available from within the Windows Start Menu).

Secondly, make sure you don't set P3D to load the A2A 172 as part of your default flight. (It's best to use a simple default plane like the Baron instead.)

Thanks,
Nick
Hi Nick,
Thank you for your concern and help. Your summary is perfect. My default flight is the Mooney, but I do not open it, I change it to the Cessna 172. I only use P3D to try and input flight axes etc. They show in the input area as there i.e. I can 'change' the elevator command, move the Yoke and the change shows, same with rudder and throttle, they are recognised as inputs in the options, click OK and go back to the cockpit, yoke and throttle still dead. Do you suggest I open and fly the Mooney, and then bring up Cessna? I did not mention it, but there us only one cockpit the virtual one, go for cockpit and you simply see the runway. There has been the occasional fleeting warning at the top of the screen, saying something like 'faulty installation will reinstall' although nothing visible changes, when the Cessna first appears. Thanks for your energy `Nick, this old man is now packing up for the night. Many thanks, I will be fresh in the morning. I will be delighted if you 'figure' it out. There is only so much you can do on the screen! Blessings.....Alan

Milky
Airman

Post by Milky »

Nick M wrote:Hullo Alan - don't despair just yet; I'm sure we can get you sorted between us. :)

So to summarise: you've got the proper P3D version of the 172 installed in P3D v3.4 with both SimConnect and the latest Accu-Sim update installed too? But your hardware yoke doesn't work on the A2A 172 and instead it controls the trim and flaps?

This definitely sounds like a controller conflict so can you let us know if you use the basic control settings in P3D to assign control axes, or some external software such as FSUIPC or Saitek's own software?

There are also a couple of things you can try. Firstly, check that you don't have any control assignments in the A2A C172 Input Configurator (available from within the Windows Start Menu).

Secondly, make sure you don't set P3D to load the A2A 172 as part of your default flight. (It's best to use a simple default plane like the Baron instead.)

Thanks,
Nick
Good morning Nick,
I wrote a thank you last night, and acknowledged your summary as being totally correct, but it seems I did not post it to you. My default flight is the Mooney Acclaim. Only the virtual cockpit is available, cockpit results empty runway, the clock is usually missing from the instruments. When the C172 is present, and I go into option axes, I can input a change by moving the yoke, and save it with OK, but it dies not translate to enabling the yoke, each axes of the Saitek yoke movement moves the elevator and flap controls in the instruments, but not the Cessna yoke. I think I should uninstall this aircraft and reinstall it. It is a complete frustration. Thanks again Nick......Alan

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Morning Alan - sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I'm at work at present so will have to keep this rather brief, but:

1. Did you check the A2A input configurator for axis assignments as I suggested above? It's possible to assign both trim and flaps via this tool, and if theses asssignments are active for the yoke, they'll override any other assignment for it in P3D.

2. When it comes to loading the default flight, I suggest you load the Mooney so it's sitting at your departure airfield, then switch to the A2A 172. This sometimes prevents issues with SimConnect initialising, which may explain the "fleeting warnings" you describe.

Thanks,
Nick

Milky
Airman

Post by Milky »

Nick M wrote:Morning Alan - sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I'm at work at present so will have to keep this rather brief, but:

1. Did you check the A2A input configurator for axis assignments as I suggested above? It's possible to assign both trim and flaps via this tool, and if theses asssignments are active for the yoke, they'll override any other assignment for it in P3D.

2. When it comes to loading the default flight, I suggest you load the Mooney so it's sitting at your departure airfield, then switch to the A2A 172. This sometimes prevents issues with SimConnect initialising, which may explain the "fleeting warnings" you describe.

Thanks,
Nick
Hi Nick, YOU have solved it, it was the A2A Configurator assigning the yoke to control flaps and elevator trim, I had previously looked at it, but did not understand it. Anyhow your last 'override' opened my eyes. I disabled all the assignments, and now have a gob smacking lovely living aircraft. I took her up and did a few familiarisation manoeuvres, she is much more 'real' than my loved FSX default one, and did a nice good landing without flaps, as they were not assigned to my usual place, but I had 'plenty' of runway left when I came to a standstill. I am now so happy. Your forensic persistence won hands down, thank you once again Nick. It is a lovely aircraft, and with the megasceneryearth and Generation X airfields, it is super.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Aha! That's great news Alan. Glad to hear you're back in business and thanks for the kind words. :)

Cheers,
Nick

Milky
Airman

Post by Milky »

Nick M wrote:Aha! That's great news Alan. Glad to hear you're back in business and thanks for the kind words. :)

Cheers,
Nick
Hi Nick I am back again, flying back from Southend to Clacton, I decided with no need to, to adjust the mixture, I was on automixture. Landed aok and parked. Now the engine stalls with my Saitek throttle full back, and when I get a restart with my throttle at about 30% I cannot get above 1400RPM on full throttle. I have looked into calibration, I have it on 127 and no null point and automixture on, also the right brake is pulling badly and groaning. I have never serviced my aircraft, and I do not want to, it was a mistake on my part to fiddle with the mixture. I am sorry about this, and would once again appreciate your help.
Best regards Alan

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Alan,

Do you mean you've got automixture enabled in the P3D realism settings? If so, that's probably the culprit. As mentioned in the quick start guide in the manual, automixture should NOT be checked.

Idling at low revs with a rich mixture will also cause simulated fouling of the spark plugs and the engine will eventually stop. The solution is to increase idle RPM and lean the mixture somewhat on the ground. You can also install the "fine wire spark plugs" in the maintenance hangar will essentially prevent plug fouling altogether. :)

Thanks,
Nick

Milky
Airman

Post by Milky »

Nick M wrote:Hi Alan,

Do you mean you've got automixture enabled in the P3D realism settings? If so, that's probably the culprit. As mentioned in the quick start guide in the manual, automixture should NOT be checked.

Idling at low revs with a rich mixture will also cause simulated fouling of the spark plugs and the engine will eventually stop. The solution is to increase idle RPM and lean the mixture somewhat on the ground. You can also install the "fine wire spark plugs" in the maintenance hangar will essentially prevent plug fouling altogether. :)

Thanks,
Nick
Thanks for that Nick, this is where I am 'lost' I know nothing about The maintenance Hangar, as mentioned I am 85 and always flown without doing 'anything' except fly. I will look for the hangar. It was flying superbly, did eight take offs and landings, visited Southend Airport etc. Best regards...Alan

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

No problem Alan. :) By default, the shift + 7 key combo will take you to the maintenance hangar (provided the aircraft is on the ground and shut down). The last few pages of the manual are definitely worth a read as they cover the maintenance hangar and pre-flight checks etc. in more detail.

Regards,
Nick

Milky
Airman

Post by Milky »

Nick M wrote:No problem Alan. :) By default, the shift + 7 key combo will take you to the maintenance hangar (provided the aircraft is on the ground and shut down). The last few pages of the manual are definitely worth a read as they cover the maintenance hangar and pre-flight checks etc. in more detail.

Regards,
Nick
Hi `Nick, I have now read the manual, virtually fully, what a fool not to, I have printed pages 51 to 55 and I now know the Shift 7 (also shift 2 3 4 5 8) I have had a complete service, and it is running like a Swiss watch. Never underestimate how 'thick' someone like me can become or be. Great having contact with you Nick. Many thanks again.......Alan

mallcott
Staff Sergeant

Post by mallcott »

Milky wrote:
Nick M wrote:No problem Alan. :) By default, the shift + 7 key combo will take you to the maintenance hangar (provided the aircraft is on the ground and shut down). The last few pages of the manual are definitely worth a read as they cover the maintenance hangar and pre-flight checks etc. in more detail.

Regards,
Nick
Hi `Nick, I have now read the manual, virtually fully, what a fool not to, I have printed pages 51 to 55 and I now know the Shift 7 (also shift 2 3 4 5 8) I have had a complete service, and it is running like a Swiss watch. Never underestimate how 'thick' someone like me can become or be. Great having contact with you Nick. Many thanks again.......Alan
Apology accepted - As I'm sure you were planning on apologising for the disrespectful reply to my answer to your earlier post advising you to do that very thing.
The advice to RTFM is NEVER an insult, it is the single most important piece of advice that can be offered with ALL A2A aircraft.

Billy5678
Airman Basic

Post by Billy5678 »

Ive been having the same issue
I would get into the aircraft and the static lever won't make the sound the circuit breakers won't work and what I mean is they won't let my click on it, on the outside during the preflight I can't remove the wheel chocks from each wheel and there are slides missing on it

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Billy5678 wrote:Ive been having the same issue
I would get into the aircraft and the static lever won't make the sound the circuit breakers won't work and what I mean is they won't let my click on it, on the outside during the preflight I can't remove the wheel chocks from each wheel and there are slides missing on it
Hello, this is an old solved post from 2017, if you can start a new thread on the forums listing your exact issue we can then better help you.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”