SOLVED - Left Wing flies Low - Cannot hold heading

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: SOLVED - Left Wing flies Low - Cannot hold heading

Post by Lewis - A2A »

RMM wrote:Mr. Collins tells the story of a guy who hand propped his plane, but did not check carefully and did so with the throttle near full in. The airplane took off and left the area, flew around until it ran out of fuel, and was found later to have landed itself a few miles away in a vacant field. Some people are just lucky.

RMM
Yes I think controlled flight is a better way to put it. The best examples I've seen of planes flying are from WW2 when pilots bailed out and the aircraft kept flying, some big examples being Russian aircraft found in western Poland that had flown with no pilot all the way across from Russia during Operation Barbarossa. I think it was a Mig-3 but cant be sure, crazy though to think just how far the aircraft continued to fly after the pilot had jumped in combat.
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

RMM
Airman First Class

Post by RMM »

Fascinating stories. Airplanes are just amazing critters.

I am soon to be 66 and started my training 12 years ago. Long breaks due to work pressures.
Today, with my new adjustments to the Iris Yoke, I was able to fly the pattern fairly well. Constantly adjusting for altitude and heading, just like you said.

After a few landings, I put the Visual Flight Path into the air, and flew that both descending and ascending. Helped me see what the yoke needs to maintain a constant flight path.

Although the Iris yoke is a bit demanding compared to the Cessna 172 that I joined on Thursday in the backseat, and discounting a bit slower response for the ailerons, the flying is now much more steady. Meaning I can now land the aircraft and hold the runway center much better. My confidence is growing. Nothing will make my CFI happier than to start real world training again. I want to be able to do slips and crosswind landings before I start training as well as have most of the basic maneuvers committed to memory function.

Best regards,
RMM
Last edited by RMM on 29 Jan 2017, 16:53, edited 1 time in total.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

The distinction is that aircraft will generally stay in the air when trimmed properly. That is certainly not the same thing as holding altitude and heading. A trimmed aircraft that is allowed to fly hands free is unlikely to remain within 100 feet of altitude or the hold a heading, much less a course for very long.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

RMM
Airman First Class

Post by RMM »

Indeed. Otherwise there would be no need for something called an Autopilot with servos to do the task of maintaining the flight path.

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”