Starting the C172

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
CptLemons
Airman

Starting the C172

Post by CptLemons »

Hi all,

I've had the A2A C172 for a little while now however, I've never been able to start it manually.

I follow the start-up checklist and do everything by the book (I have successfully manually started the A2A PA24 and PA28) but when I turn the ignition switch to start, the prop spins and the engine cranks but it doesn't fire.

I did get it started briefly this evening for a moment before it stalled almost straight away.
I usually run the battery dead everytime I try starting the thing.

I typically have to use the auto-start feature which I dont really like personally.

Any ideas please?

FSX:SE, latest update installed, Windows 10 64 bit

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Re: Starting the C172

Post by Scott - A2A »

Just as a test, rather than prime before cranking, get the engine cranking, throttle cracked, mixture forward, then turn on the electric fuel pump and see what happens.

If it starts, you can be pretty sure you are either under or over priming. If you suspect you have over primed, open the throttle and crank the engine and wait. It should catch at some point.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

CptLemons
Airman

Post by CptLemons »

I'll give that a go tomorrow... Think that could be the case.

When it fired earlier, it was because I enabled the fuel cut off whilst the engine was cranking then disabled it and the engine fired briefly.

The electric pump (3-5 seconds) is essentially the primer then?

CptLemons
Airman

Post by CptLemons »

Scott - A2A wrote:Just as a test, rather than prime before cranking, get the engine cranking, throttle cracked, mixture forward, then turn on the electric fuel pump and see what happens.

If it starts, you can be pretty sure you are either under or over priming. If you suspect you have over primed, open the throttle and crank the engine and wait. It should catch at some point.

Scott.
Tried this with no luck!

Any other thoughts?

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

CptLemons wrote:Any other thoughts?
Have you confirmed there's fuel flow on the gauge when priming? (the needle will move a bit and you should be able to hear the fuel pump sound change in pitch too.)

If you have, and you're not over-priming which seems to be the most common issue, I'd suggest advancing the throttle a bit more when starting. Somewhere between 20% and 30% should do, but just barely 'cracking' it doesn't seem to be sufficient.

If that doesn't help, check the maintenance hangar for defective mags and so on.

Cheers,
Nick

iefbr14
Airman First Class

Post by iefbr14 »

CptLemons wrote: Any other thoughts?
My personal favorite is the fuel valve :roll:

Andreas

Pistonpilot
Technical Sergeant

Post by Pistonpilot »

Also, if you are using real world weather and have only been flying somewhere that is rather cold, might be worth trying with warmer temps.

-Ian C

DWC Alumni. Commercial Instrument Single/Multi-Engine Land. [Former] Police, Fire, & 9-1-1 Dispatcher. [Former] MAINEiac Crew Chief.

CptLemons
Airman

Post by CptLemons »

Thanks all.. to answer some of you:

Fuel flow is confirmed by the gauge and fuel pump pitch change.

I'm trying to take off with OAT 6 Celsius.

And, I've tried replacing the spark plugs, starter, fuel pump and a few other bits from the maintenance hangar and that's not helped. Will try the fuel valve if I haven't already tried that one!

Shouldn't the aircraft be able to start in cold weather? That's part of the realism is it not? Haha

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

can I ask that you have made sure all relevant loading is sorted via the load manager, fuel, oil etc and also ask how you are loading the flight itself?

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

CptLemons
Airman

Post by CptLemons »

Hi Lewis,

Yup, all quantities checked and loaded via the fuel and payload manager.

Loading the flight:

From FSX free flight menu, setting real world static weather, loading on either the apron or the runway.

Plane starts cold and dark, as I do with all my A2A planes, and I start them all manually.

I've even tried emptying the fuel and refilling via the A2A fuel and payload manager.

I've got a video that I'll upload to YouTube and link here later today.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

CptLemons wrote:Shouldn't the aircraft be able to start in cold weather? That's part of the realism is it not? Haha
It should start easily at 6°C - that's not even really cold, though you'll probably need to prime for around 5 seconds. As mentioned above, make sure you've got the throttle open sufficiently and don't forgot to advance the mixture lever smartly once the engine does start.

If the fuel valve was in the shut-off position you wouldn't see any fuel flow, so I don't think that's the problem here. :wink:

Cheers,
Nick

...Edit - just seen your post about the video. Yes - that will help a lot! :)

CptLemons
Airman

Post by CptLemons »

SO...

Just trying again from the very beginning. Following the checklist - but checking the maintenance hangar for any advisories this time which indicated fouled plugs so replaced these - and OAT of 10 Celsius this time and it started on the first try!?

God knows what was different this time as opposed to the countless other times but whatever it was worked!

Pistonpilot
Technical Sergeant

Post by Pistonpilot »

Glad you got it sorted! And, re: my cold-weather comment, I was just trying to help troubleshoot and rule out anything that could be a cause without being super obvious. :)

Happy starting! :D

-Ian C

DWC Alumni. Commercial Instrument Single/Multi-Engine Land. [Former] Police, Fire, & 9-1-1 Dispatcher. [Former] MAINEiac Crew Chief.

CptLemons
Airman

Post by CptLemons »

Thank Ian.

Yeah, I did wonder about the temperature myself too. I can imagine it not working if it were -20 Celsius or something like that but +6-10 - that's practically average temp here in the UK lol

I really don't know what was different this time but hey, it worked haha

Here's my video of the C172 starting this time round:

https://youtu.be/5ix8uPeDgu8

jb44mag
Airman

Post by jb44mag »

i have tried the manual procedure and all suggested methods on the forum, and my C172 will not start in cold weather. I can't believe the "real plane" can be this hard to start. I am running "real time" weather and OAT is 23C. I have engine heater on, tried different length of time to prime, and every possible scheme to start, and no start, just runs the battery down.

Selecting auto start, as other pilots have reported, the engine starts right up. the engine will restart easily next start.

Again I can't believe the real plane is this hard to start.

-Jim

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”