Unable full power on takeoff

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
skinner8022
Airman Basic

Unable full power on takeoff

Post by skinner8022 »

I'm using the Saitek Pro Flight System and have been unable to obtain full power on takeoff even from a sea-level airport. RPMs will only rise o about 1800-2000 RMPs. RPMs will climb with increasing altitude/speed.

Thinking something was with wrong with the throttle quadrant I remove all axes assignments from FSUIPC and and tried using the mouse to control the throttle but got the same result.

I ran the updater this morning so everything is up to date with the possible exception of the core update which have been unable to find.

If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate hearing them.

Thanks,

Don
P3D v3.4.14.18870
Win7 Pro

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Unable full power on takeoff

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello Don,

You should be seeing around 2,100 RPM with the brakes on and full power applied at sea level I believe (with the factory stock prop that is, and with standard atmospheric conditions.) As the 172 has a fixed pitch prop, you certainly shouldn't see the RPM increase to redline during take-off. Instead—as you note—it's quite normal for the RPM to increase with increasing airspeed once you're airborne, reaching redline at around VNO if I recall correctly.

However, your RPM during static run-up does seem a bit on the low side. Before getting too carried away with troubleshooting, the only A2A update you need to apply can be found here. If you haven't already, you should download and install it, then try the run-up again.

Thanks,
Nick

skinner8022
Airman Basic

Post by skinner8022 »

Thanks for the information, Nick.

Don

mallcott
Staff Sergeant

Post by mallcott »

skinner8022 wrote:I'm using the Saitek Pro Flight System and have been unable to obtain full power on takeoff even from a sea-level airport. RPMs will only rise o about 1800-2000 RMPs. RPMs will climb with increasing altitude/speed.

Thinking something was with wrong with the throttle quadrant I remove all axes assignments from FSUIPC and and tried using the mouse to control the throttle but got the same result.

I ran the updater this morning so everything is up to date with the possible exception of the core update which have been unable to find.

If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate hearing them.

Thanks,

Don
P3D v3.4.14.18870
Win7 Pro
Yes, you've been bamboozled by the fake responses of other sim aircraft. The prop requires quite high pass-through rates to be able to reach peak rpm. It can't do that at high angles of attack and low airspeed. You can actually see the different effect of changing the prop for one with a cruise optimised profile or climb.

You can simply check whether you are getting `100-100` response from your controller - with engine on or off simply increase to maximum while watching the virtual device in the sim.
Dont use the mouse
Press F4

If that throttle moves EVEN a fraction. you need to calibrate it better. Simple! And you can use the same process for a closed throttle, but with F1 rather than F4.

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”