Helicopter Dirigible mode: on

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
musicalaviator
Airman

Helicopter Dirigible mode: on

Post by musicalaviator »

So on the weekend, I was flying the C172 on a ~1 hour flight on Autopilot at 7000ft.

At some point approaching YSCB (Orbx Canberra) the aircraft completely flipped out of the sky.

Turned the PC off and called it a night.

Then later I was preparing to depart YSBK Bankstown (new OZx addon) and... well. This happened

https://www.facebook.com/musicalaviator ... 1279281149

(The aircraft began floating above the ground at about 10-15 knots, and gaining altitude while pitching down.)
It flies like it's got some kind of helium dirigible helicopter mode. Any ideas?

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Helicopter Dirigible mode: on

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

are you an FSUIPC user by chance?

thanks
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Yeah, this one has cropped-up before and helicopter/dirigible mode is a good description! :) It seems to be tied to the triggering of the spoiler axis or command in FSUIPC. See this thread for a bit more info on troubleshooting.

Thanks,
Nick

musicalaviator
Airman

Post by musicalaviator »

Yep, that looks like it. I do indeed use FSUIPC to set different controls for different aircraft.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Once you confirm its the FSUIPC issue let us know.

thanks,
Lewis

ilya1502
Staff Sergeant

Post by ilya1502 »

This problem is not related to the FSUIPC.

It happens when you close the Shift+1 panel by accident (probably, when mishitting the Shift+2 combination to open the Pilot's Notes). The problem may persist as the windows configuration is saved with the flight, so you have to reload the aircraft in the sim (load the flight -> load something else than a2a Cessna -> load a2a Cessna again) and save the flight over. Also, if you notice you hit Shift+1 accidentally, hitting it again to reopen the panel won't help for some reason.

I have no idea what is so important about this window in this particular aircraft, but the symptoms are so clear that nothing else can be assumed. My a2a Cessna setup is not around right now, so I cannot look to be sure, but if I remember correctly no gauges are assigned to that panel window, which makes it even more mysterious.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

ilya1502 wrote:This problem is not related to the FSUIPC.

It happens when you close the Shift+1 panel by accident (probably, when mishitting the Shift+2 combination to open the Pilot's Notes). The problem may persist as the windows configuration is saved with the flight, so you have to reload the aircraft in the sim (load the flight -> load something else than a2a Cessna -> load a2a Cessna again) and save the flight over. Also, if you notice you hit Shift+1 accidentally, hitting it again to reopen the panel won't help for some reason.

I have no idea what is so important about this window in this particular aircraft, but the symptoms are so clear that nothing else can be assumed. My a2a Cessna setup is not around right now, so I cannot look to be sure, but if I remember correctly no gauges are assigned to that panel window, which makes it even more mysterious.
Nope its definitely an FSUIPC and spoiler issue. As has been tracked down multiple times including the thread linked too in Nicks post.

thanks,
Lewis

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Yeah, if you're seeing this behaviour when you press shift + 1 Ilya, perhaps there's a control conflict. (Key combination also assigned to FSUIPC "Spoiler Inc" or something.)

Nick

ilya1502
Staff Sergeant

Post by ilya1502 »

Well, I have no keys/buttons/axes assigned to spoilers via FSUIPC, so... :roll:

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

ilya1502 wrote:Well, I have no keys/buttons/axes assigned to spoilers via FSUIPC, so... :roll:
But you do use FSUIPC right? Did you take a look at the linked topics? The behaviour can be caused by lines buried in the FSUIPC4.ini even without active spoiler assignments.

Not saying there aren't other ways the behaviour could potentially be triggered, but stating it's "not related to the FSUIPC" is incorrect.

Thanks,
Nick

ilya1502
Staff Sergeant

Post by ilya1502 »

Nick M wrote:stating it's "not related to the FSUIPC" is incorrect.
Nick, I haven't had enough time yet to look through all the related topics as they are not brief as you had said in one of them, but I think the quick workaround I had found is quite efficient. Having said that, I agree that my statement regarding the relation to the FSUIPC might have been too hasty to make.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Probably worth doing a little further reading when you get a few moments Ilya; I suspect there's a good chance you'll find FSUIPC is involved after all. Certainly I can press shift+1 to my heart's content in the A2A stuff with no ill-effects. :) Looks like this panel shortcut is used to open a gauge during development/testing which has been commented-out in the release version.

Cheers,
Nick

ilya1502
Staff Sergeant

Post by ilya1502 »

Nick M wrote:Probably worth doing a little further reading when you get a few moments Ilya;
Sure, Nick, I will.

musicalaviator
Airman

Post by musicalaviator »

Fixed.

Have simulator shut down/not running.

Open Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules

Open FSUIPC4.ini in notepad.

Press Shift-F and Search for [JoystickCalibration]

Find the line

Code: Select all

Spoilers=-16384,16384/24
Either Delete this line, or Edit this line to read

Code: Select all

\\Spoilers=-16384,16384/24
Save the file.

Run the simulator as normal. and go flying.

I think the issues started for me when I got some new flight controls and set them up in the sim. I have also installed the FSlabs A320 which has a very odd way of doing the spoiler axis. Somewhere along the line some axis has obviously gotten an "increase spoiler increments" entry, I suspect it may have been my throttle quadrant #1 axis for the A320. (aka "Spoiler axis" for most of my other aircraft) Which explains why it seemed to "suddenly happen" at random, it went for 80% of a flight on the weekend before a little "spike" in the controls got sent.

Just happened to happen on the ground the next day, and it floated away from the taxiway at walking pace.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

musicalaviator wrote:Fixed.
Good stuff! :)

Nick

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”