Installing Steam

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Jimhall
Airman

Installing Steam

Post by Jimhall »

I have the box FSX installed and working properly. I decided to buy FSX STEAM and have installed it. After restoring all the controls and playing with calibration I find the STEAM to be smoother. There are two problems though: 1. My A2A Cessna 172 is missing and I suppose the existing software didn't attach to the STEAM. How can I get my A2A to work with STEAM? Also, maybe not related, my Saitek Instrument Panel doesn't work though it does on the Box FSX. All my other controls work fine. What do you think?

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Installing Steam

Post by Alan_A »

FSX Steam is a separate install, and doesn't automatically pick up anything from FSX boxed. So to get the A2A 172 into the Steam edition, you'd have to run the installer again and point it at your FSX Steam (probably in steam/steamapps/common/fsx). Then run the Accu-sim updater. Same applies to the Saitek panel - you'd have to set it up in FSX Steam as if you were doing it for the first time.

Note also that some add-ons can get funky if you've got a dual install of both Boxed and Steam. It's a pain to migrate over but at some point, if you like how the Steam edition performs (it's much better for me than Boxed), you might want to bag your Boxed install and just move over to Steam.

Hope this helps.
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

Jimhall
Airman

Post by Jimhall »

Thanks Allan. Much appreciated.

Jimhall
Airman

Post by Jimhall »

Having been exasperated with my lack of computer knowledge for this while I have now returned to try to understand your reply:
"Run the installer again and point it at your FSX Steam (probably in steam/steamapps/common/fsx)".

I have found this which I think is the A2A that must be pointed at FSX STEAM:
Program files (x86)\microsoft games\microsoft simulator X\A2A\cessna 172\A2A aircraft configurator.exe [375kb]

As to the FSX STEAM where this must be pointed at:

C:program files (x86)\STEAM\Steamapps\common\FSX\ [then there are 32 files like A2A, Autogen, Missions….] I don’t know which is the one you meant.

Also, how do you point it at the STEAM. Do you just move the file and place it over the other one? Sorry to be such a bore.

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”