RESOLVED - Rudder / Aileron Trim

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
RMM
Airman First Class

RESOLVED - Rudder / Aileron Trim

Post by RMM »

Trying to settle my new installation of P3d v4.1. I do not use FSUIPC. Devices = Iris Yoke / Saitek Throttle Quadrant / Saitek Trim Wheel / MSG Crosswind Rudder Pedals
All devices work normally. Equal and balanced fuel and passenger with both front seats occupied.

At cruise, in straight and level flight, there is a left drift of 1 degree per second up to 10 degrees. After which the left bank increases on its own due to normal forces.
I have to constantly adjust against the left turn. P3d 3.4 was NOT like this. Something changed.

I read a lot of long discussions on this issue. Maybe my remedy is a bit or aileron or rudder TRIM.

-1-
How to find the current settings to verify they are at zero?

-2-
What is the recommended trim here? Aileron or Rudder?? How much?

thanks
RMM
Last edited by RMM on 11 Jan 2018, 06:59, edited 1 time in total.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Rudder / Aileron Trim

Post by Oracle427 »

As in real life, you need to hold the yoke or use the autopilot. The airplane will not remain steady hands off and there is no aileron or rudder trim in this particular model.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

RMM
Airman First Class

Post by RMM »

Hello Oracle427...

Understood and thanks.

BUT...There is a huge difference here between my straight and level experience in P3D v3.4 and now with P3D v4.1. NOW....Ten seconds and I am TEN degrees off heading. One degree of drift per second. I can understand some drift and the need for correction. But this is not right.

The problem is not the A2A aircraft. Something between my hardware and P3D v4.1. This is not a normal flight condition. I assure you. One suggestion was to use the Keyboard entry for rudder and aileron trim anyway.

I will assume current settings are zero and experiment. Will report back.

RMM

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Whats your weather also, could simply be different conditions in sim.

thanks
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

RMM
Airman First Class

Post by RMM »

Hi Lewis..
Good thought. Both in P3D v3.4 and now in P3D v4.1 the setting is simply default Fair Weather. No change in weather or aircraft.

I will see if the same condition occurs with the stock Piper Cub and report back. Also I can try custom weather with dead calm wind.

If you have other suggestions, please advise.

RMM

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

For some reason I thought I read that it was 1 degree every ten seconds. Have you rechecked all control calibrations?

Also make sure that all trims are centered. The sim engine still permits one to use trim axes that don't actually exist in the the modeled aircraft. It is possible that you are launching into a saved state with trims set off center.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

RMM
Airman First Class

Post by RMM »

My Iris Dynamics Yoke and MSG Crosswind pedals are synced independently by their own process. I don't calibrate them inside P3D.
Certainly, I can recalibrate these two devices and will do so. But that is not done inside P3D. I assume that is OK?

I did calibrate the Saitek Throttle Quadrant inside P3D.

But I did not calibrate the Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel. For the Trim Wheel, as it takes so many spins to go from full nose down to full nose up, calibrating that device did not seem to make sense. But maybe I need to do that. The A2A C172 does not trim out well now in P3D 4.1 like before. The trim wheel functions but I have to tweak and tweak to get level flight.

Any guidance on exactly what to do to calibrate the trim wheel would be appreciated.

Thanks
RMM

RMM
Airman First Class

Post by RMM »

Update:

I reinstalled FS Force and properly modified the FS Force cfg file to point to the P3D SimObjects/Airplane folder.
The airplane now flies straight and level. Trim function seems a bit sensitive but works ok.

I have some other problems (conten terrors on shut down) within P3D. Will take those to the P3D forum.

RMM

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: RESOLVED - Rudder / Aileron Trim

Post by Lewis - A2A »

your P3D reporting should be as is default for P3D turned OFF.

thanks,
Lewis

RMM
Airman First Class

Post by RMM »

Hi Lewis..

You represent A2A, a quality oriented company whose code approaches perfection.

Based on my reading, though, "Content Errors" are not all benign. As is my practice, I went to the P3D forum and also to the AVSIM forum and did the recommended research.
Rob Ainscough from AVSIM writes that some content errors deserve your attention. Usually due to less than stellar Add-Ons. So he keeps the reporting ON.

In my case, the errors are fortunately very generic, and give no indication of what exactly triggers the error message. The sim functions normally. I don't mind the dialogue box popping up now that I know what it is doing.

Thanks for the close observation of my posts. Much appreciated.

My only remaining issue now is that P3D Calibration has been diverted over to the Windows Game Controller dialogue box. That happened when I switched from Raw Input over to Direct Input. Any insight would be great. I am waiting on the P3D forum for guidance.

RMM

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Well unless you are a developer I'd turn it off, its known to report many false positives or reports correct things, this is why its off by default and tends not to be used.

thanks,
Lewis

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”