Uncontrollable 172 Trainer

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
Thomas_McCray
Airman Basic

Uncontrollable 172 Trainer

Post by Thomas_McCray »

I have been trying to use he 172 Trainer for some time and compared to the regular planes that come with FSX this 172 is uncontrollable. I cannot seem to get it stable and it moves all over the place. Is this something that is on my end or is this thing suppose to be hard to fly. Because, it is very hard to fly. I have a friend who is a seasoned FSX pilot and even he cannot fly it...

Caldemeyn
Master Sergeant

Re: Uncontrollable 172 Trainer

Post by Caldemeyn »

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 08&t=47744

What do you use for controllers? How are you setting them up, calibrate? What are your realism settings ? Do you use any external drivers for your hardware ? Any failures in the hangar ? Are you patched, both the simulator and the accusim addon ? Is flying with the mouse equally hard ( check it by unplugging any controller first) ? Are there any overlapping assignments that can mess up controlling ?

The truth is, this plane will behave completely different from default planes, there is a number of effects that influence your flight like balance, weight, power settings and prop effects, coordination, trim settings, attitude, winds, temperature, humidity, etc all of them are enhanced or completely reworked in this plane. You have to fly with light touches, nothing more, use real world techniques and remember, trim is your friend.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

also don't forget to update to the latest version with the latest new features here;
http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 08&t=41279

Also check your pre-flight walk around for issues prior to flight, trying to fly with dropped flaps, and control issues and you will be having a bad day.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

parachutesj
Airman

Post by parachutesj »

Hi Thomas,
I experienced a similar behaviour once after adding new hardware. The assignments in FSX have been messed up and double assigned. So when trying to add some right rudder during takeoff the plane banked and a crash was the outcome.

In general, if you have set up your equipment and able to start the default C172 and safely reach 1000 ft AGL, then it is no difference in the A2A 172 - except loading etc. but would expect you have this default anyhow.

I would look into the hangar and see if there is any damage and if ok, see if you have installed latest version as advised already.

Cheers
SJ

Thomas_McCray
Airman Basic

Post by Thomas_McCray »

I am using saitek yoke and rudder peddles. Everything has the latest update, Calibrated in the settings menu, key maping is accurate and user friendly, No external drivers for anything, Hangar is excellent, Mouse flying is limited to turning knobs and looking around.

But, Listen to this.

I gave up on the 172 and started to fly the 180, And before it flew like the 172 (Uncontrollable), and for no reason at all it flew perfect!! Thus, I tried the stock Caravan, flew great and then went back to the 172 out of curiosity and wouldn't you know it...The Troll left the aircraft, Everything flys as it should and the 172 along with all others. The ONLY issue i have now is the trim is really slow to get moving..it's annoying but manageable and it don't matter as long as the craft flys..

ryan_xy
Airman Basic

Post by ryan_xy »

Hello, I am encountering the sam issues, only with the C172 trainer. It has flown before without issues.
With me it happens when taking off, that the plane banks uncontrollably to the left. I do have the latest patch ( msg: Latest version already installed C172 Trainer P3D is currently up-to-date, etc) Using CH products rudder & yoke, they have been recalibrated, I have tried different airports, turning off the weather completely, same behaviour. any ideas?

ryan_xy
Airman Basic

Post by ryan_xy »

Hello, unfortunately I am having the same issues are there any other possible causes? I have read and tried the above , latest patches on both the A2A C172 and P3D, recalibrated my controls. I have also tried other weather settings and other airports as well, to no avail.

iefbr14
Airman First Class

Post by iefbr14 »

Hi,
ryan_xy wrote:Hello, unfortunately I am having the same issues are there any other possible causes? I have read and tried the above , latest patches on both the A2A C172 and P3D, recalibrated my controls. I have also tried other weather settings and other airports as well, to no avail.
To prevent issues caused by undefined trim settings, I've myself assigned 2 Buttons with Rudder/Aileron trim (center)-Function in P3D button settings, and press it once after P3D start. Then proceed your c172/c182 takeoff with neutral inputs, and don't lift nose wheel below 65 kts.

Good luck!

Andreas

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

ryan_xy wrote:Hello, I am encountering the sam issues, only with the C172 trainer. It has flown before without issues.
With me it happens when taking off, that the plane banks uncontrollably to the left. I do have the latest patch ( msg: Latest version already installed C172 Trainer P3D is currently up-to-date, etc) Using CH products rudder & yoke, they have been re-calibrated, I have tried different airports, turning off the weather completely, same behaviour. any ideas?
Hello Ryan,

you may want to start a new thread with your exact issue. If its worked OK then stopped working it will be probably be an issue with some system change or an issue in the pre-flight workaround you missed that needs some attention.

thanks
Lewis

cxa132
Airman Basic

Post by cxa132 »

I have the same problem others have, turning to the left on Rolling and banking to the left in the air. Not fun to fly
What can we do?

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

cxa132 wrote:I have the same problem others have, turning to the left on Rolling and banking to the left in the air. Not fun to fly
What can we do?
The simulation is a realistic simulation of aircraft flight used in certified flight simulations for pilot training. You will need to learn how to handle aircraft, your other thread has been responded too;
https://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewto ... 08&t=64512

We have a great community here filled with pilots, instructors and many many many very experienced simmers, if you want to learn I would recommend posting as many questions as you wish in the forums. The Flight Academy forums is a good place to start;
https://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=64

Just like real aviation, Flight sim is a never ending educational experience :D

thanks,
Lewis

an8pilot
Airman

Post by an8pilot »

I'm afraid I am having the same problems.

CH products Yoke

CH products Rudder CH Trottle Quadrant

Experienced simmer

P3D A2A 172

Over 17553 hours flight time as a pilot and one of the big three rated on 767 757 737 DHC6 HS125 BE400 CL600/CRJ as well as flight safety and military King Air

So telling people you just don't know how to fly is a little not helpful. I want to use it for IFR practice and the sim is unusably unsteady and all over the place even in trim.

I will pick up my Alien 64 gb ram intel i7-8700cpu @3.7ghz 64 bit w/ gtx 1080i
and my input controls and will jump seat to you at A2A to prove what I am doing wrong.

I can't even get the aileron to work correctly.

Wouldn't that help the community.

I also own a real 65hp Cub and a real T-6 / SNJ and a Navion and a Skybolt if that will help.

Look me up N169D N88054 N5040K N9992 etc

If it gets fixed I'll write how. This is wasting days trying to get it to work right.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

99.9% that it's something with your set up. I use this all the time for maintaining IFR proficiency. It flies exactly like my 172S. It responds with the same airspeeds as power and configuration changes are made.

Check control mappings, calibration.

Set null zone to zero and sensitivity to Max.

Also be sure to check the maintenance hangar to make sure there is no damage to the aircraft that could be compromising the control.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

an8pilot
Airman

Post by an8pilot »

Yes I know there is got to be something wrong with my set up.

I don't need it for my proficiency.

I fly at work 88 hours a month.

I need it to teach my family member.

There has got to be something wrong with the setup yrs.

I wish there was a complete out of the box reset everything A2A and P3D to zero and exactly what buttons to push to set it up exactly correct by and per Scott with CH products controllers as he supports them.
So far the A2A P3D4 172 input controller has been worthless.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

You mention you are an experienced simmer.

Have you verified all the control axes are mapped correctly, with sensitivity at max and null zones at zero? Are you familiar with the procedures to do this in P3D or is this the type of information you are seeking help with? There isn't anything special that you need to do with the Input Configurator to get the basic control axes working.

The Input Configurator is only used to map some extra non-essential controls once you get the basics working correctly.

I think you know as much as I do that instrument proficiency in an airliner doesn't really mean much when trying to fly IFR in a single engine Cessna. Totally different avionics and controls, so I think it was perfectly fair to ask if you would be using it for proficiency. If you have never used a G1000, I would wonder how comfortable you would be flying approaches in hard IMC to minimums. We get lots of ATPs that want to fly 172s and 182s and can barely land the darn things after spending several thousand hours in airliners, much less operate the TAA avionics. I don't know you from Adam.

Aaaaaanyway, back to the matter at hand. I don't have P3D, so I can't guide through specific screens. It would be extremely helpful to get more information such as what you mean by the ailerons not working. You mention that the aircraft is unsteady and you also mention that the ailerons aren't working. So which is it, are the ailerons not working or is the aircraft not steady? When you say the ailerons aren't working, how exactly are they not working? Do they not respond at all to control inputs?

Also what conditions are you flying in? Having RL experience flying 172s in moderate rain squalls in clouds with winds at the surface gusting to the mid 20s and winds aloft at 50 knots at 3000 feet AGL. I would expect the aircraft to be extremely unsteady no matter how well it is trimmed. Have you tried flying with all weather disabled? Do you have any weather add-ons installed that inject real-world weather that could be giving you very turbulent conditions?

Additional details as well as narrowing down the variables should help to troubleshoot any issues, or perhaps confirm the proper behavior.

Have you checked the maintenance hangar as asked previously top confirm that the aircraft is in good condition? Have you performed the walk-around inspection? Another thing to consider is how you are loading into the simulation and what is your default flight. Are you loading P3D with the default flight as the F22 Raptor and not loading a custom saved flight with the A2A 172? Loading directly into an add-on aircraft from a saved flight can cause strange behaviors.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”