C172 Trim

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
andrew737
Senior Airman

C172 Trim

Post by andrew737 »

Hi Guys

I need to be able to have my C172 have 'NO' trim effectiveness when I use the Trim Wheel. I have an FFB yoke and a Hardware trim wheel; when I trim with the trim wheel I 'DONT' want the C172 to respond because my yoke responds instead by moving its centre position.

How can I make this happen?

Thank you in advance
Kind Regards and Thanks

Andrew

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: C172 Trim

Post by n421nj »

I guess you would just deactivate the trim wheel in either fsuipc or fsx
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

andrew737
Senior Airman

Post by andrew737 »

n421nj wrote:I guess you would just deactivate the trim wheel in either fsuipc or fsx
No!!!

The trim wheel still needs to send data on its position to FSX because the FFB Yoke reads the info from there; I actually need the C172 NOT to respond to the inputs.

Thanks for the suggestion though; there might just be something I have missed :)
Kind Regards and Thanks

Andrew

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Andrew,

We model the forces on the elevator based on the trim position, and took quite a long time and testing to get this just right. For example, pull the throttle full back, use full back trim and see the speed the aircraft settles at. We can disable the trim, but this requires us to go into the code and disable it, and if we do this, have to find some way of efficiently doing this. The team will talk about these options and get back to you.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

andrew737
Senior Airman

Post by andrew737 »

Scott - A2A wrote:Andrew,

We model the forces on the elevator based on the trim position, and took quite a long time and testing to get this just right. For example, pull the throttle full back, use full back trim and see the speed the aircraft settles at. We can disable the trim, but this requires us to go into the code and disable it, and if we do this, have to find some way of efficiently doing this. The team will talk about these options and get back to you.

Scott.
Hi Scott

Thank you, and I 100% meant what I said to you in my PM.

I look forward to hearing from you soon

Thanks Again.

I guess in light of what you said above I 'do' need some of the trim modelling you provide just NOT the change of pitch to the aircraft. I can already move the centre position of my yoke by trimming the forces from it away. I guess I am after being able to: SELECT ATTITUDE, HOLD ATTITUDE and TRIM AWAY FORCES without the trim moving the elevator on the C172.

EDIT - I am really keen to get this done ASAP so I can complete my Sim; as I am very nearly (a week or so) a 20% owner in a C172 - Been out in it this morning in and out of EGSU Duxford - Fantastic!

I have Brunner FFB Yoke and D-Box 3 DOF motion cueing. The A2A C172 is paramount for a good simulator.
Kind Regards and Thanks

Andrew

andrew737
Senior Airman

Post by andrew737 »

Hi Guys

Just a polite bump as this was moving down the list; I am aware this post is being processed but just want to keep it on page one.

Hope that's cool.
Kind Regards and Thanks

Andrew

wazooda
Airman

Post by wazooda »

andrew737 wrote:Hi Guys

Just a polite bump as this was moving down the list; I am aware this post is being processed but just want to keep it on page one.

Hope that's cool.
I know that this is an old thread..... but as a new Brunner FFB owner, I've been experimenting with how best to trim the aircraft.

Any progress on this?

My fantasy, of course, is that Brunner and A2A work together to have the hardware trimming on the Brunner interact with the A2A in-sim positioning.

From what I have read above (and someone please correct this newbie if I'm wrong), A2A took great pains to model trim effects on flight and control dynamics. I fear that in using the hardware trim functionality on the Brunner, the model sim is not behaving like the real thing because the trim always stays in the neutral position in the sim.

Caldemeyn
Master Sergeant

Post by Caldemeyn »

Check out this guy if not already :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BFlyfn0678

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaV0u1v-sB8

He uses FSforce to get all advanced modes for his yoke.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

For us to make changes, we have to get our hands on this hardware. There is a flightsimcon coming up this weekend, and maybe the yoke that is being discussed here will be there. So specifically what yoke are we talking about?

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

wazooda
Airman

Post by wazooda »

Scott - A2A wrote:For us to make changes, we have to get our hands on this hardware. There is a flightsimcon coming up this weekend, and maybe the yoke that is being discussed here will be there. So specifically what yoke are we talking about?

Scott.
Hey Scott,

The yoke is a fantastic piece of Swiss engineering and is made by Brunner Elektronik.

The CLS Economy Yoke is the one I and others have. This is the consumer version of their professional FAA approved FFB yokes.

Here is a link to it: http://www.beh.ch/CLS-Economy-Yoke.200.0.html?&L=4

In addition, here is a great comparison between it and the Iris FFB yoke someone did on YouTube: https://youtu.be/XWr3eoPuSqM

I've been in the flight sim hobby for over 30 years (started on my integer Apple ][ 16k with SubLogic's Flight Simulator in 1980) and this is the most amazing piece of gear I've ever owned.

Thanks!

Paul

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

wazooda
Airman

Post by wazooda »

Caldemeyn wrote:Check out this guy if not already :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BFlyfn0678

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaV0u1v-sB8

He uses FSforce to get all advanced modes for his yoke.
Thanks. I have seen this.

The Brunner yoke uses Brunner's own software which is very good and customizable but does not work with FSForce.
Scott - A2A wrote:For us to make changes, we have to get our hands on this hardware. There is a flightsimcon coming up this weekend, and maybe the yoke that is being discussed here will be there. So specifically what yoke are we talking about?

Scott.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

wazooda
Airman

Post by wazooda »

Hey Scott,

Have you had a chance to mess with a Brunner yoke yet?

It really is amazing and deep integration with Accu-Sim would be an awesome combo.

I have their FF rudders on pre-order, and look forward to messing with those soon.

Thanks,

Paul

wazooda
Airman

Post by wazooda »

Hey Scott,

Any updates on this?

I've now added the rudder pedals and the setup is fantastic.

Trim, however, still remains an annoyance.

The Brunner guys are really responsive and I'm sure would assist in making the support native which would be the Holy Grail for us simmers.

Thanks!

Paul

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Paul,

Sorry for the delay. I just sent an email out to Brunner for an example to use, and will get back to you with any updates.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

ethorn
Airman Basic

Post by ethorn »

Scott - A2A wrote:Paul,

Sorry for the delay. I just sent an email out to Brunner for an example to use, and will get back to you with any updates.

Scott.
Scott, have you heard from anyone with Brunner? I am using a Brunner yoke and can attest to the comments of the prior posters: it is really amazing. I would love to be able to use it without messing up the fidelity of A2A's flight modeling. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”