C172 always banks to the left

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
eleskga
Airman

C172 always banks to the left

Post by eleskga »

A2A newbie again.

I do not know if am missing something but every time i takeoff the A2A C172 always banks to the left. If I try fly straight or bank to the left it will again bank back to the left and this goes on and on and on in cycle. This happens soon after taking off and makes it very difficult to fly properly with purpose.

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

n454mw
Staff Sergeant

Re: C172 always banks to the left

Post by n454mw »

This aircraft, just like the real one, requires some right rudder at slow airspeed, high rpm and high angle of attack. This is entirely normal. I'm assuming that it levels out for the most part as soon as you reach cruise altitude, of course.
Thanks Mark

eleskga
Airman

Post by eleskga »

Hi n454mw

It never really gets to level....as soon as i takeoff it banks left and since I am just testing the A2A i.e. trying to takeoff and land at the same airport...i do not really fly far...I have also looked at Youtube videos but nothing from my point of view suggests normal behavior as compared to many A2A videos I have seen online....I will try you suggestion and control the rudder and see how it goes.

Thanks very much for your input.

Mazo
Technical Sergeant

Post by Mazo »

Add a passenger, put more fuel in the right tank and less in the left one. The C172 is very prone to a normal left bank if the load is not balanced. This will not remove all left bank tendencies but will certainly reduce them. In flight, you can also switch tanks to get the balance you need then switch back to both tanks and it should remain pretty stable.

Enjoy flying her - she is a lot of fun.
[*]2021 Jetline Systems GTX, [email protected], EVGA RTX 3080ti 12GB, 64GB Memory 3200MHz, Win11 64 Pro, P3DV5.3, FS2020

In memory of my fallen Brothers in Arms in Viet Nam - may they Rest in Peace.

chav241
Senior Airman

Post by chav241 »

hello eleskga

Just to add the other post, when alinged on the run way increase the throttle slowly normally from idle to full power 2-3 seconds as the aircraft begins its roll the nose will turn away from the center line just add light rudder in the opposite direction and hold her straight at 65 knots lift her off the runway until clear, and ease of the rudder, watch for the nose rising too fast due to the trim - keep the nose down increase speed to 80 knots and at 400 feet above the ground bring the flaps up.

All should be good when you level off there is some roll depending on load - weather also check the hanger for any issues with the aircraft.

Regards David
Windows 10
Intel Core i7-6700k @4.00GHz Ram 16GB GTX 980 Ti
FSX plus Acceleration
Piper cub - P47 Razorback - B377 Stratocruiser + COTS - B17 - Spitfire
C172 Trainer(TT65) Piper Cherokee(TT110) C182(TT08)

eleskga
Airman

Post by eleskga »

Hi Mazo/chav241

Thank you for your input I will try follow your advises and revert back...hopefully I will be able to fly this bird level....

Much appreciated.

lonewulf47
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by lonewulf47 »

You might also want to read the posts in this thread: http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 08&t=38119
Oskar

ASUS MAXIMUS XI Hero, i9-9900K 8 Core OC 5.2 GHz, WIN10-64Bit, 32GB DDR5, Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti Strix, 2x 2 TB SSD M.2, 1x 2 TB SSD, 1 monitor 4k, AS4, EFB on remote PC

eleskga
Airman

Post by eleskga »

Thank you lonewulf47 I will read it.

Much appreciated

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

eleskga wrote:A2A newbie again.

I do not know if am missing something but every time i takeoff the A2A C172 always banks to the left. If I try fly straight or bank to the left it will again bank back to the left and this goes on and on and on in cycle. This happens soon after taking off and makes it very difficult to fly properly with purpose.

Thanks in advance for your time and help.
Are you saying the aircraft banks left and can't be stopped from banking left? The reason I ask is that a slight left bank is normal on takeoff as the aircraft rotates but this is normal and should be easily corrected with control inputs to counter it.
The way I would advise you to address this would be to start thinking in different terms such as " the airplane WANTS to bank left."
In flying it's always a "contest" between you and the airplane as to what the airplane is doing and what you want the airplane to do. Naturally the solution has to be YOU deciding where the aircraft will go and what it will do at any given instant in time.
The skinny on all this is that what I'm reading here is that you might be a bit too relaxed on the controls as you're rotating on takeoff and allowing the aircraft a bit too much input into the decision on who's the boss.
Try a few takeoffs while anticipating a slight left bank tendency as you rotate and this time correct for it and don't allow it just to see what happens.
You might be pleasantly surprised to discover how much control you as the pilot actually have in these situations :-))
Dudley Henriques

eleskga
Airman

Post by eleskga »

Thank you Dudley, as a newbie is quite important to know what you just hinted and in time I hope to fly properly. I have also noted the inputs of all the helpful guys on this forum and once I try this will revert back to you, perhaps with a better experience :) .

Thanks

L.A.
Senior Airman

Post by L.A. »

I'll throw out my opinion. First off, a single engine Cessna with the prop rotating clockwise from the cockpit view.............will want to yaw left. Most ,if not all of the torque, is going to have been taken care of, by the time you leave the ground. It's a little prop, and a big wing behind it, producing a lot of lift, as well as other forces working against roll from torque.

So, we've got the Cessna, with an engine that's probably canted to the right, and either a ground adjustable rudder tab to control yaw in cruise, or a rudder cable spring tension system for in flight rudder trim. Yaw is predominate. The Cessna has adjustable cams on the rear spar, to adjust for any signs of a heavy wing. That can be right or left.

Me as a test pilot. I built a Vans RV6A. Had a 180 HP engine, same as the Cessna 172, and a constant speed prop. It's a lot lighter than a Cessna, and only has two seats. Climb performance is around three times, that of a 172. On day one, of the first test flight, I flew a couple of trips around the pattern. Everything seemed quite fine. After a good checkout, I actually flew approx. 100 miles to a former WWII airbase (Wendover, Ut), where the B-29 Enola Gay had been based, for training. This beats test flying over subdivisions, as it's mostly desert and freeway below. Besides that, it's good to actually run these engines at a higher rpm for breakin.

During this flight, my plane wanted to roll right, and yaw left. The stick force to counter the right roll, was very light, and no problem. The left yaw forces are strong. It took a good strong push on the rudder pedal to counter this. I actually just let it left yaw, most of the time. This plane also has a engine, with a right offset built into the mount. Unlike some, it does not have a built in offset in the vertical stablizer to counter yaw. You are expected to add a fixed rudder trim tab, which I did. This takes care of the yaw. My right "roll" was caused by a left aileron, that had a slightly thicker radius on the trailing edge, than the right. No more than just a 32nd of an inch. I squeezed this out, which gave me a near perfect balance, when fuel and passenger load is balanced. I also had a servo operated trim tab, on the right aileron, for precision hands off flight.

This airplane has the same incidence for both wings, as most planes these days, do. On my takeoffs and climbouts, which are around 1500 fpm with two people, these ailerons are lined up with the wing tips and flaps. I am not fighting "roll". However, I am using a lot of right rudder push on the takeoff roll, and initial climbout. As airspeed picks up, the left yaw forces greatly diminish, and quite quickly. When I did my first touch and go, in the RV6, it wanted to pull hard left to the side of the runway. You could also feel the left wheel leg, being pushed towards the runway. The sensation was much more pronounced, than in a Cessna 172. This of course, would be "torque" in addition to the other forces, causing the drift to the left. But once airborne, I didn't have to swing in right aileron to counter it. If a wing does drop on takeoff, then by all means raise it. It does happen once and a while.

It is my opinion, that most of the forces are causing a yaw. And if you don't counter the yaw with rudder, then you'll end up with some roll. I experienced a lot of yaw effects in the RV. I never felt as though I was countering roll from the engine and prop................unless it's really low airspeed, and full throttle, such as a go-around, when slowed for landing.

eleskga
Airman

Post by eleskga »

Thank you L.A....this is the best forum and in few weeks/months I hope to be confident, better and enjoy flying the A2A C172.

Tomorrow I have reserved few hours to try this again with all your inputs, and I do appreciate.

Cheers

Alec246
Airman First Class

Post by Alec246 »

Forget it buddy. I tried talking to them, but for the devs here the left banking is realistic, despite some of us trying to talk every argument there is to prove otherwise.

You could check the topic I Created to discuss this,
http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 08&t=38785

There's a link on my last message there, that I sent to Scott, which is a very good insight on this matter regarding light single prop planes.
http://www.pprune.org/8354233-post13.html

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

Alec, I don't get any left bank at all in cruise. Why do you suppose that is?

Hook

jabloomf1230
Airman First Class

Post by jabloomf1230 »

One option is to delete the DAT file for the 172. Then start with the default FSX or P3D flight. Change the aircraft to the 172, save this flight and use it as the default flight to spawn all new A2A 172 flights.

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”