Max allowaable EGT

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
THibben
Staff Sergeant

Max allowaable EGT

Post by THibben »

Is there a max allowable EGT? A point where damage can occur. All I can find is lean to the max EGT for a particular condition then increase the mixture so the temp is 50 deg lower.

Thanks,

Tom

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Re: Max allowaable EGT

Post by Killratio »

Tom

You can safely assume that if you run at above the recommended setting for extended periods that you are doing your engine no favours at all. Peak EGT will be determined by the running conditions. Remember that the EGT is an indication (or symptom) if you like. It is the heat in the engine and other effects of running too lean that will do the damage, not EGT per se.

Use the EGT gauge as a guide to setting up good operating conditions (-50) , rather than as a "warning" gauge. Your oil temp and pressure should be your primary focus for that.

regards

Darryl
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

THibben
Staff Sergeant

Post by THibben »

Killratio wrote:Tom

You can safely assume that if you run at above the recommended setting for extended periods that you are doing your engine no favours at all. Peak EGT will be determined by the running conditions. Remember that the EGT is an indication (or symptom) if you like. It is the heat in the engine and other effects of running too lean that will do the damage, not EGT per se.

Use the EGT gauge as a guide to setting up good operating conditions (-50) , rather than as a "warning" gauge. Your oil temp and pressure should be your primary focus for that.

regards

Darryl

Thanks Darryl,

I understand all o what you say. I was just curious if there was a max never exceed EGT. Evidently there isn't.

Tom

Welsch
Staff Sergeant

Post by Welsch »

Well, there is... sort of... it's just not a simple fixed number. But I think if you fly at full throttle close to sea level and then lean for peak EGT temperature - that is too hot! (And very unhealthy for your engine, which is why the manual discourages the use of EGT for leaning while operating at full power)

Now if you compare the above temp reading with the max EGT you get while leaning at - let's say - cruise power (2100rpm) at 4000ft, you can sort of judge which temperatures are still healthy and which ones aren't. But also always keep an eye on oil temp and pressure as well. Furthermore, there is a warning message in red on the 'pilot notes" 2D panel (shift+2), displayed right below the cabin temperature message, in case you overheat your engine. Can't hurt to check it from time to time if you experiment with leaning while climbing at full throttle.

Dooga
Staff Sergeant

Post by Dooga »

If you want to get serious on piston engine management, read this column (and the ones leading up to it): www.avweb.com/news/pelican/182085-1.html

We don't have proper engine instrumentation, injectors or CP prop for the Cessna, but it still should give you a good idea of what's going on in the engine of such a plane.

Now, a properly instrumented six banger plane like the Bonanza or the C182, maybe even with a turbo and the full combustion process modelled, that would be something!

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”